Who's Next To Jump Ship..?

Lord Pityme

With Ross gone to the Stadium of Light, who are the runners and riders who will happily lap milk with the Black Cats..?

Davis has to be a stick on, as does Reilly after it seems both have rejected new deals, but strangely enough havent as yet been limked with any other clubs??? Are they on a promise?

Liam Smith could be obtained from Hearts, and i am sure Cammy Smith would take the bait, beyond those few...?

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

With Ross gone to the Stadium of Light, who are the runners and riders who will happily lap milk with the Black Cats..?

Davis has to be a stick on, as does Reilly after it seems both have rejected new deals, but strangely enough havent as yet been limked with any other clubs??? Are they on a promise?

Liam Smith could be obtained from Hearts, and i am sure Cammy Smith would take the bait, beyond those few...?

I doubt he'll recruit players of that level, with his budget he'll be able to purchase bigger fish in my opinion. 

43 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

To win league one he wont need a higher level, or convince them to join.

If he signs any of the players you've mentioned he'll lose the fans before the season starts.  The Chairman, the club and the supporters will expect to sign players of at least English Championship level.  He would probably have signed Morgan though.

10 hours ago, rabuddies said:

If he signs any of the players you've mentioned he'll lose the fans before the season starts.  The Chairman, the club and the supporters will expect to sign players of at least English Championship level.  He would probably have signed Morgan though.

And i would suggest the players i mentioned are at championship level, as are Mallen and Mc Allister. But that aside as many teams have proved throughout the years you dont need players from higher leagues to win titles, feck me Sevco should be the biggest example of flooding your squad with " cough, cough.. good pros" only to find they cant hack it in the lower leagues.

Suppose it's inevitable Fowler will be joining Ross at the SoL, concern for the club other than Ross coming back to cherry pick our best players is will he hoover up any more of the coaching staff? The academy team have been doing well, so it would be a shame to lose them and have to start again, likewise Clangers etc... maybe that sports scientist will get picked up for the other half of full time hours?

See today the papers have Ross planning a move for Kyle Magennis, dont think it will be for the £1m headline in the paper, but really big loss for us if it comes to pass. I think there are possibly one, maybe two more of our squad he might go for between Cammy Smith and sadly perhaps Stephen McGinn.

it would be a no-brainer for Cammy to follow Ross, bigger club, money, opportunities. It would be a real hearbreaker if he came for McGinn, and the hardest decision for Stephen to make. We know his love for the club, the fans. And he has settled his family up here. However a two, or even better three year deal for Sunderland could see him earn 5-10 times as much.

I think its a no-brainer Davis will be announced as his first signing, Sunderland need an experienced, capable and in form defence to build on, and Davis knows that league. Reilly would also be a no-brainer signing as Ross needs a much bigger squad than us now to cope with an extra eight league games. A two year deal for Reilly would i expect happen also.

with the complete restructuring sunderland have torn through some of the casualties have been in the Academy, and worryingly, if its the academy, first team coach, or a hybrid of both then I think Allan McManus will get a call too.

Ross has to hit the ground running there, yes he's got to bring a couple of known players in to placate the support, but he is getting a clean slate from the majority of Sunderland fans, most have a realistic view of where they stand now and want to be part of a New Sunderland. So Ross will get plenty of latitude and encouragement to field a young attack minded team, with a mix of signings and step ups from their academy. The sunderland fans expect him to bring in some of his own, most managers do.

our next manager might have a hell of a rebuilding job on his hands?

Edited by Lord Pityme

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

See today the papers have Ross planning a move for Kyle Magennis, dont think it will be for the £1m headline in the paper, but really big loss for us if it comes to pass. I think there are possibly one, maybe two more of our squad he might go for between Cammy Smith and sadly perhaps Stephen McGinn.

it would be a no-brainer for Cammy to follow Ross, bigger club, money, opportunities. It would be a real hearbreaker if he came for McGinn, and the hardest decision for Stephen to make. We know his love for the club, the fans. And he has settled his family up here. However a two, or even better three year deal for Sunderland could see him earn 5-10 times as much.

I think its a no-brainer Davis will be announced as his first signing, Sunderland need an experienced, capable and in form defence to build on, and Davis knows that league. Reilly would also be a no-brainer signing as Ross needs a much bigger squad than us now to cope with an extra eight league games. A two year deal for Reilly would i expect happen also.

with the complete restructuring sunderland have torn through some of the casualties have been in the Academy, and worryingly, if its the academy, first team coach, or a hybrid of both then I think Allan McManus will get a call too.

Ross has to hit the ground running there, yes he's got to bring a couple of known players in to placate the support, but he is getting a clean slate from the majority of Sunderland fans, most have a realistic view of where they stand now and want to be part of a New Sunderland. So Ross will get plenty of latitude and encouragement to field a young attack minded team, with a mix of signings and step ups from their academy. The sunderland fans expect him to bring in some of his own, most managers do.

Seriously LPM? 

I cant see Ross signing anyone from St Mirren. Theres no-one at Paisley than what is already available at the Academy.

Sunderland just let Tom Breadling go to Dunfermline. Hes better than Davis.

13 minutes ago, StuD said:

Seriously LPM? 

I cant see Ross signing anyone from St Mirren. Theres no-one at Paisley than what is already available at the Academy.

Don’t know about the last sentence but otherwise you are probably correct.   I think the Lord is getting carried away with apocalyptic thoughts.

53 minutes ago, StuD said:

Seriously LPM? 

He cant, and wont field a team of just academy lads who have no experience of professional football. Remember Dummett & Newton needing to come to us for that, and still learning?

you make my point by by highlighting safc letting players who arent up to snuff go to second tier scottish clubs !

Ross will take players with him, most managers do. Remember! You didnt think safc would poach Ross, so your calls are not being eagerly followed.

42 minutes ago, scottd said:

Don’t know about the last sentence but otherwise you are probably correct.   I think the Lord is getting carried away with apocalyptic thoughts.

Its reality Scott, safc need players, coaches etc, and they just signed a manager from a successful club that has what they need! It aint rocket science, we will see in the coming days and weeks.

24 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Its reality Scott, safc need players, coaches etc, and they just signed a manager from a successful club that has what they need! It aint rocket science, we will see in the coming days and weeks.

One guaranteed way to lose your new fans is to import en masse from your old club, especially when that old club plays at a standard that some Sunderland fans probably think is on a par with ‘pub football’.  I can see Jack wanting Magennis but not many other than him.  If McGinn were to go then Jack has done well for us in getting Stephen signed up for two more years therefore a decent transfer fee.:)

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

He cant, and wont field a team of just academy lads who have no experience of professional football. Remember Dummett & Newton needing to come to us for that, and still learning?

you make my point by by highlighting safc letting players who arent up to snuff go to second tier scottish clubs !

Ross will take players with him, most managers do. Remember! You didnt think safc would poach Ross, so your calls are not being eagerly followed.

Well Ethan Robson, George Honeyman, Joel Asora and Elliot Embleton all got first team experience in the Championship last season. It looks like Aiden McGeady, Callum McManaman, Lyndon Gooch and Lee Cattermole are all staying put as well. and that wanker Rodwell isn't going anywhere either unfortunately.  And when you've got Rees Greenwood and Luke Molyneux as highly rated back up from the Academy I can't see where the likes of Magennis or even Cammy Smith would fit into that. In 2014-15 the Sunderland Under 23's side finished runners up to Manchester United. I don't think Sunderland fans would take too kindly to them being replaced by players from the Scottish Championship. 

You're right though, when it comes to Ross and Sunderland I seem to be well wide of the mark when predicting the future, but as I said elsewhere on here - if Ross is back at St Mirren signing players for Sunderland it would prove beyond all doubt to me that Jack Ross has no concept of the league, or the club he's going to be working in. 

If Jack Ross is to win the support over at Sunderland he'll need to sort out the goalkeeping issue first and he'll need to find a goalscorer. I don't think Craig Samson or Danny Mullen are likely to be targetted. 

Edited by StuD

42 minutes ago, scottd said:

One guaranteed way to lose your new fans is to import en masse from your old club, especially when that old club plays at a standard that some Sunderland fans probably think is on a par with ‘pub football’.  I can see Jack wanting Magennis but not many other than him.  If McGinn were to go then Jack has done well for us in getting Stephen signed up for two more years therefore a decent transfer fee.:)

Exactly. Did Jack Ross make any successful signings from Alloa for St Mirren when he moved? 

46 minutes ago, StuD said:

Well Ethan Robson, George Honeyman, Joel Asora and Elliot Embleton all got first team experience in the Championship last season. It looks like Aiden McGeady, Callum McManaman, Lyndon Gooch and Lee Cattermole are all staying put as well. and that wanker Rodwell isn't going anywhere either unfortunately.  And when you've got Rees Greenwood and Luke Molyneux as highly rated back up from the Academy I can't see where the likes of Magennis or even Cammy Smith would fit into that. In 2014-15 the Sunderland Under 23's side finished runners up to Manchester United. I don't think Sunderland fans would take too kindly to them being replaced by players from the Scottish Championship. 

You're right though, when it comes to Ross and Sunderland I seem to be well wide of the mark when predicting the future, but as I said elsewhere on here - if Ross is back at St Mirren signing players for Sunderland it would prove beyond all doubt to me that Jack Ross has no concept of the league, or the club he's going to be working in. 

If Jack Ross is to win the support over at Sunderland he'll need to sort out the goalkeeping issue first and he'll need to find a goalscorer. I don't think Craig Samson or Danny Mullen are likely to be targetted. 

You need to listen to what the new owners are saying between the lines! Ross is be given the budget and say on who comes and more importantly who goes! Safc are now prepared to take whatever the hit is to ditch Rodwell, McGeady, Cattermole etc... bargain basement clear out to get them off the payroll.

and again Ross will be pilliored by the fans if he fills his squad with youth players from the academy who have never played professional football. Jeez there are thousands who go through academies and are lucky to sign fir a league club at all. We'll see in the near future, Ross will also be looking at players at other scottish clubs he can pick up for a song.

theres a good few in the Prem would jump at the chance to go to safc where they have already sold over 16,000 seadon tickets, and if they get off to a flyer will have 30 - 35 thousand gates. No chance Samson would get the call, and Ross knows he made a mistake buying Mullen the first time.

1 hour ago, scottd said:

Not en masse Scott, as Davis & Reilly are free agents, so only likely to add one/two from our squad if he signs those two first. Sure we will see the first signings next week. Have to get a few more games in at SoL next season, Sunderland is buzzin again, bit like us this season just gone.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Not en masse Scott, as Davis & Reilly are free agents, so only likely to add one/two from our squad if he signs those two first. Sure we will see the first signings next week. Have to get a few more games in at SoL next season, Sunderland is buzzin again, bit like us this season just gone.

Donald and Methven are saying the right things - I like their idea of Donald paying for replacements to the pink seats, refreshments and food, and asking the fans to provide the labour to put the new seats in. Whether they'll actually do it or not remains to be seen but that would be a fantastic way to get the fans properly involved. Their talk of having a squad full of players there because they want to be there and they see the potential at the club - rather than coming to play for a big pay day will hit the mark as well. 

Still can't see him signing players from St Mirren. He'd be daft to, honestly they aren't good enough and they aren't better than these youngsters that the fans at the SOL know, like and wanted in their starting eleven last season. Signing players from Scotland? Yeah I could see the logic in that. Stephen O'Donnell from Kilmarnock who might win his first International Cap on Wednesday would be a decent addition in one of the weak areas. 

If Ross gets it right the SOL will be fantastic, I agree with that. I usually go down 3 or 4 times a season anyway, but there's more midweek fixtures this season too with it being a 46 game league season so that should give me more opportunity. Certainly fancy the games home and away against Blackpool  

A 1m bid for any player would be welcome. An extra 1m in the pot would make some difference to the quality of squad we could build.

19 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:
7 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

A 1m bid for any player would be welcome. An extra 1m in the pot would make some difference to the quality of squad we could build.

If.. and it is a big if, it had to happen anywhere near £1m would be great. But given we've sold Mallan, McCallister and Morgan for between £225 - £300k i cant see why another club would more than treble that. Thats not to say Kyle could become a player of that value and above, just not at this time imo. But hopeully we wont find out for a good wee while yet.