Oaksoft In Today's Daily Record

5 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Funnily enough I could have sworn that I have repeatedly said that foodbanks were a good thing because it was inevitable that some people will get themselves into trouble from time to time.

If you can find a post where I have ever used the phrase "scroungers" to describe these people I'd be interested in reading it.

Sorry to let facts get in the way of a good story though. :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

Funnily enough I could have sworn that I have repeatedly said that foodbanks were a good thing because it was inevitable that some people will get themselves into trouble from time to time.
If you can find a post where I have ever used the phrase "scroungers" to describe these people I'd be interested in reading it.
Sorry to let facts get in the way of a good story though. [emoji38]
There are people using food banks who are complete wasters (in my experience, anyway) but the majority, and it's a considerable majority, are exactly as you say, people who have got themselves into trouble, for whatever reason.

What I will say is the upcoming rollout of Universal Benefits will see a considerable uptake in parcels as people find themselves with no money at all for 4 weeks (in Scotland). Given that a food bank parcel is meant to cover 2-3 days you can bet that local foodbanks will be stretched.

21 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

There are people using food banks who are complete wasters (in my experience, anyway) but the majority, and it's a considerable majority, are exactly as you say, people who have got themselves into trouble, for whatever reason.

What I will say is the upcoming rollout of Universal Benefits will see a considerable uptake in parcels as people find themselves with no money at all for 4 weeks (in Scotland). Given that a food bank parcel is meant to cover 2-3 days you can bet that local foodbanks will be stretched.

I'm not aure I fully understand the problem with this 4 week delay.

People moving into it from full time work will have received a last pay check in arrears which means they are already sorted for 4 weeks. No job pays you in advance that I know of so this is no differnt from getting a job. Moving from a different benefits system, you will also have been paid that in arrears will you not? So other than those who are entering the system from school or uni, who is being affected by the delay? Also, they offer short term financial help for those who cant get through the month dont they?

Edited by oaksoft

People moving into it from full time work will have received a last pay check in arrears which means they are already sorted for 4 weeks. No job pays you in advance that I know of so this is no differnt from getting a job. Moving from a different benefits system, you will also have been paid that in arrears will you not? So other than those who are entering the system from school or uni, who is being affected by the delay? Also, they offer short term financial help for those who cant get through the month dont they?

People are so stretched they have used up what little reserve they had (including people still working) so they rely on their weekly payment but won't get one for 4 weeks, it's not hard to see why they'll struggle.

Short term help is available but (so far) hasn't been fully publicised, isn't well known by some of the referring agencies and isn't easy to access. Watch "My Name is Joe" and you'll get a better understanding of how Kafkaesque the system can be when it comes to accessing these aids.

Oaksoft seems to be what might from the "caring " wing of the right in our political establishment. There is truth in what he writes... Up to a point.  The availability of credit though causes additional problems as has the rise and rise of condumerisation.  I have read that he is keen on Globalisation as a means of economic growth and self endeavour as a means to benefit from it.  If only it was that simple. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Oaksoft seems to be what might from the "caring " wing of the right in our political establishment. There is truth in what he writes... Up to a point.  The availability of credit though causes additional problems as has the rise and rise of condumerisation.  I have read that he is keen on Globalisation as a means of economic growth and self endeavour as a means to benefit from it.  If only it was that simple. 

What on earth are you wittering on about?

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Some people are paid one week in arrears or fortnightly in their jobs. I can't speak for Scotland but many people in England have waited 5 or 6 weeks for their payments leaving them way behind on bills. The low pay sector is so shit bills are difficult to afford in the first place. 

I presume you've been lucky enough to never be in such a position. It's absolute hell.  It's not as simple as you think.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Rather obvious.

Ricky, I am going to make a request of you here and it's really straightforwards.

Either quit the endless mansplaining, the patronising tone and putting words into people's mouths or stop responding to my posts.

Pretty please.

8 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

People are so stretched they have used up what little reserve they had (including people still working) so they rely on their weekly payment but won't get one for 4 weeks, it's not hard to see why they'll struggle.

Short term help is available but (so far) hasn't been fully publicised, isn't well known by some of the referring agencies and isn't easy to access. Watch "My Name is Joe" and you'll get a better understanding of how Kafkaesque the system can be when it comes to accessing these aids.

I didn't realise anyone was on a weekly payment.

Thanks for clarifying.

4 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Some people are paid one week in arrears or fortnightly in their jobs. I can't speak for Scotland but many people in England have waited 5 or 6 weeks for their payments leaving them way behind on bills. The low pay sector is so shit bills are difficult to afford in the first place. 

I presume you've been lucky enough to never be in such a position. It's absolute hell.  It's not as simple as you think.

I know what it is like to run my own business and not know when my next bit of income is going to come from so I don't need lessons on low pay. There have been many times when I wished I was on minimum wage.

It's probably best you don't presume anything about me. Just ask instead.

The Scottish Government have committed to ensuring a maximum 4 week gap between payments for the full rollout, CS, I think you're right about it being nearer 6 weeks elsewhere in the UK so far.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Ricky, I am going to make a request of you here and it's really straightforwards.

Either quit the endless mansplaining, the patronising tone and putting words into people's mouths or stop responding to my posts.

Pretty please.

Firstly. I wasn't replying to your post in psrticulsr,  I was replying to the thread topic which I felt unfairly perhaps linked you with the article.

Whist you have made it clear that you believe that globalisation has improved job prospects and our economy you don't come across to me as far right and I said so. 

Just my opinions. 

Cornwall brought up people who are paid weekly and I introduced the availability of credit ad another factor.  These "affordable payments"add up .Average savings have fallen sharply. Back in 1973 when I first came to Paisley it had the highest savings ratio in Scotland at around 3 Per Cent.  Not now and pay day loan companies which charge exorbitant rates as well as high street pawn brokers and a proliferation of bookies offices are there to provide their version of help.  The TV reality show called Don't Pay we'll Take it Away is a reality of modern life. Add to this employment on an as needed basis where income varies weekly and there is a recipe for the creation of a new kind of poverty for those still in work. Simple it is not.

Edited by St.Ricky

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I know what it is like to run my own business and not know when my next bit of income is going to come from so I don't need lessons on low pay. There have been many times when I wished I was on minimum wage.

It's probably best you don't presume anything about me. Just ask instead.

Then likewise, don't presume everyone gets paid four weekly so they'll "be sorted" until their universal credit kicks in. 

6 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Whist you have made it clear that you believe that globalisation has improved job prospects and our economy you don't come across to me as far right and I said so.

Where did I say any of that? I specifically said that Globalisation killed off our manufacturing industry. How did you interpret that as me saying Globalisation was a good thing for the economy?

Oh and we are talking about foodbanks and you bring up historic interest rates on savings accounts. That is grade A wittering right there.

Edited by oaksoft

22 hours ago, oaksoft said:

some facts

• your current benefit stops and there is then a 4 week wait for UB
  • if you have no other source of income, you can indeed apply for short term finance which is deducted from UB-it is unlikely to be your full entitlement and you have a limited period to pay it back
  • given the straitened nature of the credits, there really is next to no room to find the cash to pay off the loan
  • at the end of your period on benefits, your payments will stop on the day you cease to be eligible.  it is not a payment in arrears in the same way as a salary.

the government are saving cash by keeping back 4 weeks money from every claimant.  This is in addition to the reduced (so they say) admin of a universal system.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Where did I say any of that? I specifically said that Globalisation killed off our manufacturing industry. How did you interpret that as me saying Globalisation was a good thing for the economy?

Oh and we are talking about foodbanks and you bring up historic interest rates on savings accounts. That is grade A wittering right there.

Pay day loans have extortionate rates of interest.  Thatcher and Reagan kicked of a free for all in globalisation and movement of cash.  This opened the door for the movement of jobs offshore.  End of conversation. 

6 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Pay day loans have extortionate rates of interest.  Thatcher and Reagan kicked of a free for all in globalisation and movement of cash.  This opened the door for the movement of jobs offshore.  End of conversation. 

More wittering. You seem incapable of following a fairly straightforward conversation without deviating all over the place. I hate wasting my time with people who can't focus. I am beginning to see why you have pissed off so many forum users on here.

Let's leave it at that.