Paisley Saint Mirren

One town,  one team in Paisley.  Why not Paisley Saint Mirren?  Stadium... Paisley St Mirren. Change the name of Greenhill Road to Saint Mirren Way and the  nearby Station to Saint Mirren Station and get both the town, the stadium and the club on the map.  And on the jersey with Paisley as our shirt sponsors. Why not? 

1 hour ago, Seaside Nipper said:

See when your retired, you've breakfasted , walked the dog and cut the lawn ( striped of course ) is the rest of the day a sort of ponderous dream like state ?

Jist askin like .............................:wink:

No dog and my gardener cuts the lawn. My cleaners clean the house and my handyman does any DIY. Some of the benefits of a long working life! It's certainly time to dream Nipper.  But there is a point to this.  We are on our way to being a community owned club.  What better way to identify with the community.  Most teams ( not All)  identify with their community.  Examples Aberdeen,  Dundee,  Hamilton,  Motherwell and ICT.  It's often ( but not always)  the case that teams in the bigger cities take on other names... Examples Celtic,  Rangers, Hearts,  Hibs. I know there are exceptions like St Johnstone and Albion Rovers. 

Would a closer association with the town be harmful or mutually beneficial? Even JR in his recent move was linked to clubs which mirrored the name of the place.. Sunderland and Ipswich.  

Edited by St.Ricky

It's a possibility, although naming the stadium will be likely to be who is willing to pay most to do it.   The renaming of the railway station is also a possibility. When I lived in Newcastle a few years back, the Metro station nearest St.James's park was named that and was decked out in black and white as opposed to the yellow in the rest of the stations, and Scotrail did rename Exhibition Centr station to Craiglang (although was just for the duration of Still Game 2 being on at the hydro)

Did we not ask before about changing the railway station name but Scotrail/ Allellio knocked it back as too expensive and too much bother.

Leave the club name alone. Been st Mirren since it started. Became Paisley St Mirren for Europe a number of years ago but piss off with Paisley FC.

1 minute ago, guinness said:

Did we not ask before about changing the railway station name but Scotrail/ Allellio knocked it back as too expensive and too much bother.

Leave the club name alone. Been st Mirren since it started. Became Paisley St Mirren for Europe a number of years ago but piss off with Paisley FC.

Thanks for replying. Agree...Definitely not Paisley FC. I was asking about any benefits in being known as Paisley Saint Mirren. 

Apparently they wanted St Mirren to pay £100,000 to ScotRail for changing timetables etc.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
9 minutes ago, guinness said:

Apparently they wanted St Mirren to pay £100,000 to ScotRail for changing timetables etc.

Thanks Ronnie. Can see their point of view but things change. Who knows? 

I've always disliked the association with an Irish catholic monk, not relevant in thus day and age....
Saint Mirin or Mirren, an Irish monk and missionary (born c. 565; died c. 620), is also known as Mirren of Benchor (now called Bangor), MerinusMerryn and Meadhrán. The patron saint of the town and Roman Catholic diocese of PaisleyScotland, he was the founder of a religious community which grew to become Paisley Abbey. The shrine of this saint in the abbey became a centre of pilgrimage.
Change the name to Paisley F.C.
Get rid if any association with all the religious bigotry on all sides.  Religion causes so much agro in the world.
When will people get their head around the fact that there are no gods and all religions are just 'clubs' for indoctrinating weak minds and preying (pardon the pun) on humans with a fear of their mortality.

There is no association with religious bigotry connected to St. Mirren.

Why change the name of our club because there are knuckle dragging morons out there that assume because we are called St. Mirren we have to be Catholic.

In my opinion their opinion isn’t worth shit, so f**k them.

Well I don't mind admitting I don't know that song, must be a shite song. Tell me about it. Only real Saints song I know is the classic one. Probably a realatively new inane 'chant', not a 'song'. Got a YouTube of it (as if).
To the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain "...
"Oh there's only one religion that's St. Mirren".
Definitely an oldie, I can remember it being sung in the 70s.

17 minutes ago, SMFC1024 said:

There is no association with religious bigotry connected to St. Mirren.

Why change the name of our club because there are knuckle dragging morons out there that assume because we are called St. Mirren we have to be Catholic.

Wouldn't be my reason for considering adding Paisley to the name St Mirren.

18 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

So only your opinion isn't shit, eh

Where did he say that, I love the selective way people take things on here

What he did say was 

18 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

there are knuckle dragging morons out there that assume because we are called St. Mirren we have to be Catholic.

I agree knuckle dragging morons opinions do tend to be shit but other opinions are valuable hence the debate on here.

Why does the name St.Mirren sound shit? Please give your reasoning behind this and convince people of why Saints should change their name. Cleansing a name due to perceived connotations  is no reason to do it so there must be other points for this.

SS

p.s. I have no issues with Paisley St.Mirren but remain to be convinced as to the case for dropping the Mirren

Edited by Swiss_Saint
added context

23 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

To the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain "...
"Oh there's only one religion that's St. Mirren".
Definitely an oldie, I can remember it being sung in the 70s.

And the z car's tune when the Paisley polis felt the need to pop into the north bank to have a wee word. 

So only your opinion isn't shit, eh? With an attitude like that you might as well not contribute.
The St.Mirren name is needing to be changed, but too many old die hard will see it never does.
It sounds shit, as does St.Johnstone, as does St.Ricky....St.Helpmabob.....St.Shite....St.Givemestrength.....
That bleeding monk has a lot to answer for...
I could live with Paisley Saints, to have a nod to the history
Glasgow Rangers, Partick Thistle, Paisley Saints, Greenock Morton, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, etc.

Jesus....calm doon son

Just now, helpmaboab said:

Why does the name St.Mirren sound shit?

Yeah, it is the religious 'overtone'. Can't avoid it with the St. prefix, whether you like it or not. Just the way it is, plus it's the name of an old catholic monk, whether you like it or not.

Rangers 2    Old Catholic Monk 3

:D

St Michael = religious underpants. Gotcha. Will have a word with the wife.