Paisley Saint Mirren

46 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

So only your opinion isn't shit, eh? With an attitude like that you might as well not contribute.

The St.Mirren name is needing to be changed, but too many old die hard will see it never does.

It sounds shit, as does St.Johnstone, as does St.Ricky....St.Helpmabob.....St.Shite....St.Givemestrength.....

That bleeding monk has a lot to answer for...

I could live with Paisley Saints, to have a nod to the history

Glasgow Rangers, Partick Thistle, Paisley Saints, Greenock Morton, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, etc.

Helpmaboab,   This guy sounds like a Sevco bigot. Change the name it offends me!!!!

I know lets call ourselves the Politically Correct Paisley Kicksphere team.    Foot-ball is so incorrect. Foot sounds like something from the bottom and ball has too many gender connotations.

We can't be named after a  Monk that got one over on the King. I mean Monks make Buckfast and Royalty encourages true blue sectarian shit. Being named after a Monk that shafted the king is  a definite no-no.  We'll have to change the name of the Greenhill Road too because it might offend the true blue sections of Paisley.

Then again if we did all that, SMTID wouldn't mean a thing.

Helpmaboab

What a terrible thought

St Mirren is fine in my book

Edited by East Lothian Saint
no offence

Helpmaboab,   This guy sounds like a Sevco bigot. Change the name it offends me!!!!
I know lets call ourselves the Politically Correct Paisley Kicksphere team.    Foot-ball is so incorrect. Foot sounds like something from the bottom and ball has too many gender connotations.
We can't be named after a  Monk that got one over on the King. I mean Monks make Buckfast and Royalty encourages true blue sectarian shit. Being named after a Monk that shafted the king is  a definite no-no.  We'll have to change the name of the Greenhill Road too because it might offend the true blue sections of Paisley.
Then again if we did all that, SMTID wouldn't mean a thing.
Helpmaboab
What a terrible thought
St Mirren is fine in my book

Sevco bigot, you could also add...total fanny.

Looking at the debate, there are strong opinions out there.   I'm surprised that some aren't campaigning to remove the green from Greenhill Road as this might offend.  The idea was put forward on the basis that there might be advantages in linking the name of the town more closely with the name of it's football team. Maybes aye, maybes naw. 

I would be willing to bet that Boab is totally out on a limb here - don't think you will find any real Saints fan who want to drop St Mirren from our name. Anyone who even reads any sort of religious bigotry into that name has issues imo.   It's the kind of thing a rabid mutant NI based Sevco fan might assume and no one else.

5 minutes ago, Doakes said:

If someone abroad/English asks who I support I'll usually reply Paisley St Mirren 

Usually followed by a short lesson in Scottish football

I usually say St.Mirren , if I say Paisley the reply is usually “ Paisley , that’s part of Glasgow isn’t it ?”  :angry:

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

No dog and my gardener cuts the lawn. My cleaners clean the house and my handyman does any DIY. Some of the benefits of a long working life! It's certainly time to dream Nipper.  But there is a point to this.  We are on our way to being a community owned club.  What better way to identify with the community.  Most teams ( not All)  identify with their community.  Examples Aberdeen,  Dundee,  Hamilton,  Motherwell and ICT.  It's often ( but not always)  the case that teams in the bigger cities take on other names... Examples Celtic,  Rangers, Hearts,  Hibs. I know there are exceptions like St Johnstone and Albion Rovers. 

Would a closer association with the town be harmful or mutually beneficial? Even JR in his recent move was linked to clubs which mirrored the name of the place.. Sunderland and Ipswich.  

You do know that if you were to cut your own grass, do your own DIY and clean your own place, you would be able to make less posts on this football forum  :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I usually say St.Mirren , if I say Paisley the reply is usually “ Paisley , that’s part of Glasgow isn’t it ?”  :angry:

True. Big city clubs take on the name of an area or some other feature. In Glasgow it was Celtic (Irish )Rangers, Queens Park,  Partick Thistle, Third Lanark (army)and Clyde. Rest as my original point for discussion. Edinburgh Hibs (Irish), Heart of Midlothian (masonic connections). London.....various. 

25 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

"You've heard of Paisley?"

"No"

"You've heard of Glasgow?"

"Yeah, of course".

"Well Glasgow is a wee place on the outskirts of Paisley".

1 minute ago, renfrew said:

You do know that if you were to cut your own grass, do your own DIY and clean your own place, you would be able to make less posts on this football forum  :rolleyes:

This is true but I haven't done any of that stuff since 1978 so it would be difficult to get back into it. Nah..I wont bother trying until the money runs out. (Could be soon). You'll be asking me to clean and polish my own car next!

I dare say that there may be some potential gains from incorporating 'Paisley' into the name of the club - such as Paisley St. Mirren.

It could be argued that it puts the club on the map a bit more to an extent and could potentially attract the people of Paisley to have more of an emotional attachment to the club. 

Despite that, on balance, I would not vote for such a change as I'm more of a traditionalist and wouldn't like to see our club name changed after all these years. 

What I would like to see is us to get our old badge back. It seemed to be changed in the 90's without as much as a whimper when Lord Lyon took us to task for daring to have castellations on our crest. That sort of pompous crap is an absolute shambles in this day and age and they should never have got away with making us change without a fight. 

38 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

atheism is not a religion, quite the opposite 

atheism
ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/
noun
  1. disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
    synonyms: non-beliefnon-theism, disbeliefunbeliefscepticismdoubtagnosticism, irreligion, godlessness, ungodliness, profaneness, impietyheresyapostasypaganismheathenism, freethinking, nihilism

I think that you will find that atheism is generally recognised to be a religion - just like any other belief system.

This legal ruling was established by the US Supreme Court in 2005.

You either believe in God or you don't - either way it's merely a belief.

I'm not in favour of changing, we are St Mirren, but apart from that I heard Morton being referred to as Greenock at the end of the season on BBC down here and incorporating Paisley may lead to us being referred to in the town's name rather than the club's traditional name. It also narks me that when Man U play Newcastle Utd that United is used to to mean the Manchester club when they should both be referred to by their location. Anyway not an issue for us but I would hate the press to decide what we get called or we'll forever be known as the wee club near the airport (because there is only one of those too).

3 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

I could live with Paisley Saints, to have a nod to the history

Glasgow Rangers, Partick Thistle, Paisley Saints, Greenock Morton, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, etc.

"OH.................................................................................. when the Saints,  except St Mirin, go marching in"

How would be announce results??????

Paisley Saints (excluding St Mirin or any religious ones )  6    Glasgow Rangers (oop's gave a nod to the history there, should be The Rangers International Football Club Plc0

If we stick with the no religion ethos would that mean we could only sign players who

2 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

don't care for religion in ANY shape form or belief. 

No of course not those ideas are mad 

1 hour ago, helpmaboab said:

Because I put forward a few ideas that you find absurd?

Just like this debate

1 hour ago, helpmaboab said:

So you still living in that filthy rundown shoebox surrounded wi long grass?

Lots of places like that in Paisley, never realised the occupants were all stinking rich.

Boab. I am filthy poor from paying for all this stuff for so many years. My gardener however drives a Range Rover, my cleaners a Mercedes, my window cleaner an audi and my handyman.......a white van.

3 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

Why does the name St.Mirren sound shit?

Yeah, it is the religious 'overtone'. Can't avoid it with the St. prefix, whether you like it or not. Just the way it is, plus it's the name of an old catholic monk, whether you like it or not.

Rangers 2    Old Catholic Monk 3

:D

Incidentally, St. Mirin was not a Catholic monk ......... he lived and died long before the Roman Catholic church was established as the official church in Scotland ..... 

52 minutes ago, Westmarcher said:

Incidentally, St. Mirin was not a Catholic monk ......... he lived and died long before the Roman Catholic church was established as the official church in Scotland ..... 

Indeed , Mirin would have been part of the Celtic Church which had a missionary line from Coptic Eygpt to Northern Spain to Ireland and then sebsequently onto Scotland. .

7 hours ago, helpmaboab said:

I've always disliked the association with an Irish catholic monk, not relevant in thus day and age....

Saint Mirin or Mirren, an Irish monk and missionary (born c. 565; died c. 620), is also known as Mirren of Benchor (now called Bangor), MerinusMerryn and Meadhrán. The patron saint of the town and Roman Catholic diocese of PaisleyScotland, he was the founder of a religious community which grew to become Paisley Abbey. The shrine of this saint in the abbey became a centre of pilgrimage.

Change the name to Paisley F.C.

Get rid if any association with all the religious bigotry on all sides.  Religion causes so much agro in the world.

When will people get their head around the fact that there are no gods and all religions are just 'clubs' for indoctrinating weak minds and preying (pardon the pun) on humans with a fear of their mortality.

Help ma boab indeed, don't recollect we have had any issues previously with St.Mirren being out name.  Paisley FC is a big no-no and if some old firm affiliated, soft bellied or politically/religiously sensitive souls can't deal with the origins of our name (which has existed for 141 years if my maths Is correct) then feel free to start frequenting somewhere else with a name more suitable to your way of thinking

8 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

No dog and my gardener cuts the lawn. My cleaners clean the house and my handyman does any DIY. Some of the benefits of a long working life! It's certainly time to dream Nipper.  But there is a point to this.  We are on our way to being a community owned club.  What better way to identify with the community.  Most teams ( not All)  identify with their community.  Examples Aberdeen,  Dundee,  Hamilton,  Motherwell and ICT.  It's often ( but not always)  the case that teams in the bigger cities take on other names... Examples Celtic,  Rangers, Hearts,  Hibs. I know there are exceptions like St Johnstone and Albion Rovers. 

Would a closer association with the town be harmful or mutually beneficial? Even JR in his recent move was linked to clubs which mirrored the name of the place.. Sunderland and Ipswich.  

Your not related to his lordship Oaky, are you? Lol