Paisley Saint Mirren

I'm atheist but the name of the club doesn't bother me. It's rare (perhaps once or twice since I moved) that anyone down this way has asked if we are affiliated to religion.

This is our history. It's the name of St Mirren on the Scottish Cup, League Cup, any Cup that we've won. The name is everything about our history. Our fanbase is not swayed by religion like the bigot sisters in Glasgow. To change it would be to insult our own past. We are St Mirren, and we always will be.

Likewise my home team in Belgium has a full name of Royal Club de Sporting Charleroi (unsurprisingly shortened to Charleroi, although many locals also refer to them simply as Sporting). I'm not one for royals but I wouldn't demand a name change because of it.

16 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

I'm atheist but the name of the club doesn't bother me. It's rare (perhaps once or twice since I moved) that anyone down this way has asked if we are affiliated to religion.

This is our history. It's the name of St Mirren on the Scottish Cup, League Cup, any Cup that we've won. The name is everything about our history. Our fanbase is not swayed by religion like the bigot sisters in Glasgow. To change it would be to insult our own past. We are St Mirren, and we always will be.

Likewise my home team in Belgium has a full name of Royal Club de Sporting Charleroi (unsurprisingly shortened to Charleroi, although many locals also refer to them simply as Sporting). I'm not one for royals but I wouldn't demand a name change because of it.

Best post I’ve seen on here for a while. 

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

I think that you will find that atheism is generally recognised to be a religion - just like any other belief system.

This legal ruling was established by the US Supreme Court in 2005.

You either believe in God or you don't - either way it's merely a belief.

Surely one needs a deity to follow a religion; ie; Christians believe in God, Muslims in Allah and even Buddhists  pray to Buddha; ..........although he is not viewed as a deity or supreme being  by all Buddhists in the same way that the Christian God is. 

And why anyone would take any notice of the American legal system that can be bought and paid for (as necessary) did you know  Adultery is illegal in New York, yet in Haddon township New Jersey Flirting is Illegal and belief it or not; certain states allow necrophilia .........crazy Americans.   

As for belief in  God or not;  surely Atheism is a Lack of belief ............That's what I believe anyway:D

Why would anyone think of changing the name of one of the oldest teams in world football,  ST MIRREN are pretty unique in that our names is one of the few who don't  represent the area from where were from, two others in Scotland are  QUEEN OF SOUTH, and wee ALBION ROVERS,  and anyway we don't just represent paisley but the greater Renfrewshire area.  and I say this as paisley born and bred buddie,

2 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Surely one needs a deity to follow a religion; ie; Christians believe in God, Muslims in Allah and even Buddhists  pray to Buddha; ..........although he is not viewed as a deity or supreme being  by all Buddhists in the same way that the Christian God is. 

And why anyone would take any notice of the American legal system that can be bought and paid for (as necessary) did you know  Adultery is illegal in New York, yet in Haddon township New Jersey Flirting is Illegal and belief it or not; certain states allow necrophilia .........crazy Americans.   

As for belief in  God or not;  surely Atheism is a Lack of belief ............That's what I believe anyway:D

Atheism is the belief that there is not a god - as you say yourself, that is your own personal belief.

I happen to believe along with millions of others that there is.

Each to their own belief system.

4 hours ago, Maboza said:

What I would like to see is us to get our old badge back. It seemed to be changed in the 90's without as much as a whimper when Lord Lyon took us to task for daring to have castellations on our crest. That sort of pompous crap is an absolute shambles in this day and age and they should never have got away with making us change without a fight. 

Missed that one back then - tell us more??

4 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

I think that you will find that atheism is generally recognised to be a religion - just like any other belief system.

This legal ruling was established by the US Supreme Court in 2005.

You either believe in God or you don't - either way it's merely a belief.

Helpmabob's thinking is pretty narrow to say the least... What about agnostics - they are somewhere in between believers and atheists? 

Aetheism is a "religion" which believes that God does not exist, we are all here by chance and our purpose in life is to be selfish for this is all we will ever have - 3 score years and ten on earth - boy do they have more faith than believers - all the stuff that formed the big bang - how did that come to exist - oh it came from nothing - ha ha..... what a magic trick... oh I forgot, maybe aliens brought it from nowhere that was created..

Anyway  I think it is dubious if this is truly on topic.. and whether the topic deserves must serious discussions.. but if some are having fun - GREAT - enjoy...

As for belief in  God or not;  surely Atheism is a Lack of belief ............That's what I believe anyway[emoji3]

If that’s what you BELIEVE is that not a BELIEF? [emoji56]

19 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Helpmabob's thinking is pretty narrow to say the least... What about agnostics - they are somewhere in between believers and atheists? 

Aetheism is a "religion" which believes that God does not exist, we are all here by chance and our purpose in life is to be selfish for this is all we will ever have - 3 score years and ten on earth - boy do they have more faith than believers - all the stuff that formed the big bang - how did that come to exist - oh it came from nothing - ha ha..... what a magic trick... oh I forgot, maybe aliens brought it from nowhere that was created..

Anyway  I think it is dubious if this is truly on topic.. and whether the topic deserves must serious discussions.. but if some are having fun - GREAT - enjoy...

I guess everybody has their own take on what's relevant and what's not.  Where the topic started was to put up for discussion whether or not adding Paisley to our name,  stadium, station and roadway makes sense... Or doesnt. Deserving of serious discussion?  Within the original parameters.. Perhaps.  On the subject of being a totemic symbol for an early Christian Saint and religion and the merits and demerits of this... Probably for another time or space. But it is a forum for different views to be expressed .

4 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Past bedtime ^^^^^

Needs time to dream up more threads.

Sleep well dear boy.  Wake up refreshed and ready to go.  I will be seriously pleased to see you start some threads. 

Edited by St.Ricky

I usually say St.Mirren , if I say Paisley the reply is usually “ Paisley , that’s part of Glasgow isn’t it ?”  :angry:

"You've heard of Paisley?"
"No"
"You've heard of Glasgow?"
"Yeah, of course".
"Well Glasgow is a wee place on the outskirts of Paisley".
I usually agree and say that Paisley's part of Glasgow in exactly the same way as Scotland's part of England.

10 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Why would anyone think of changing the name of one of the oldest teams in world football,  ST MIRREN are pretty unique in that our names is one of the few who don't  represent the area from where were from, two others in Scotland are  QUEEN OF SOUTH, and wee ALBION ROVERS,  and anyway we don't just represent paisley but the greater Renfrewshire area.  and I say this as paisley born and bred buddie,

You could add St. Johnstone to that list too.

I know the name comes from St. John’s Toon and St. John was the patron saint of Perth, but that’s no different from St. Mirren.

Hibernian too? Clyde?

And after typing that I’ve just realised you said “two others are” rather than “the other two are” :lol:

56 minutes ago, helpmaboab said:

That's a nonsense zico

Glasgow Rangers

Glasgow Celtic

Manchester United

Manchester City

....by your logic none of these teams draw support from outside the main city

Unfortunately Paisley is a shitty name too, not aggressive enough

"Where are you from Tam?"

"Paaaaiiissslaaaaaaay"

"ya poor bugger"

"Ayeeeeee, a know, no ma fault"

"Dae yi support St.Mirren"

"dae a f**k"

Rangers & Celtic don't have Glasgow in their names.

Not really bothered about other clubs. Paisley has never been in our club's name and IMO it should stay that way!

2 hours ago, zico said:

Rangers & Celtic don't have Glasgow in their names.

Not really bothered about other clubs. Paisley has never been in our club's name and IMO it should stay that way!

When I speak football with my family in Belgium they always refer to them as Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers. Outside of the UK I think it's common for them to be referred to as so.

Isn't the same said for Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid? If I'm correct locally they are simply known as Atletico and Real but across the world the Madrid is added. I could be incorrect, just something I've heard.

11 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I guess everybody has their own take on what's relevant and what's not.  Where the topic started was to put up for discussion whether or not adding Paisley to our name,  stadium, station and roadway makes sense... Or doesnt. Deserving of serious discussion?  Within the original parameters.. Perhaps.  On the subject of being a totemic symbol for an early Christian Saint and religion and the merits and demerits of this... Probably for another time or space. But it is a forum for different views to be expressed .

Hi Ricky,

I was not having a pop at the fact that our football team has the name of a Christian Saint - I was querying whether or not a discussion on atheism or otherwise was really in the spirit of what you intended - perhaps it was, perhaps not.  Either way it is fine by me - I just did not want someone coming back at me with a rant about their belief's because of what I had typed - but what will be will be...

Generally Saints were good folk who cared deeply for people.. but of course they were all human...