Paisley Saint Mirren

Just now, gilberto said:

Most off-topic thread ever (I can't even remember what the topic was). Good debate above tho. I'm enjoying it. Smiley face etc.

True in every way! Great diversion from the really big topics like..who should be the next manager. The existence of a supreme being and the origins of the universe are much easier to deal with.

18 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

The existence of something that is defined in such a way that it is impossible to detect is impossible to prove or disprove, you just have to go with the most logical stance that is backed up by evidence and not hearsay or dogma (or goat herders fairy tales).

Nobody knows the origins of the universe and anyone that claims that they do is a blatant liar (or mentally deranged).

The discussion could end there - but it won't. (see below :) )

It is relatively easy to disprove the god of the bible due to all the contradictions (until someone starts claiming that bits are allegorical, and not literal, as they can claim that about any part), but it is impossible to disprove a general creator being that is outwith the natural world and hence, by definition, undetectable.

In effect the concept of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. We pretty much know it's nonsense but we can't disprove it. 

16 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Isaiah 40:22 describes the earth as disc-shaped with the heavens spread out "like a tent", which makes no sense for a sphere.

Daniel 4:10–11 describes how, from a sufficiently high tree, one could see the entire earth,

Matthew 4:8 and Luke 4:5 describe how all the kingdoms of the world can be seen from a high mountain,

In other words, it says several times that the earth is flat.

Genesis 1 describes a dome/firmament over the earth holding back the heavenly waters. It also says that it has windows which were opened to let in the flood water, so the dome/firmament is a physical covering. It also says that the heavenly bodies were placed within the dome.

There is also somewhere, which I can't find at the moment, that says the earth rests on legs.

Put it all together and you get a flat disc on legs that is covered with a dome (with windows to let the rain in) - a snowglobe (admittedly, with windows).

It's basically where the flat earth idea comes from.

You are familiar with figurative speech? Scientists use figurative speech often too.

1 minute ago, helpmaboab said:

Well for a start you're not a god, you're just a figment of my imagination. I'm actually sailing through the third casius as we speak but Fu2 has me dreaming this existence while I travel. It's a bit like human dreaming only on steroids. You will one day experience 'life' where I'm headed. It's pretty 'awesome'. Imagine St Mirren winning The Champions League every year of your life, well it's a bit like that times a factor unknown.

The last part would be boring and our manager would quit after he had broken Zidane's record of 3 in a row and join Morton to take on a fresh challenge. 

Slightly off topic but with only a few chance decisions we might all have been Abercorn supporters having this exact same discussion about the defunct Saint Murn whereby I would have been stating that we could all have been Saint Murn supporters other than Abercorn supporters that we are except we aren't because we support Saint Murn and not the defunct Abercorn.

Anyway I often wonder (not really I just kind of thought of it), had Abercorn survived and thrived as Saint Murn have survived and thrived then which of the two teams would I support?   Would we hate each other?  Would the well heeled premium Smisa members have followed Abercorn whilst the working class normal Smisa members have followed St Murn or vice versa?  Would Smisa exist as all?  Would Smisa be called Aisa?

Would it be Paisley Abercorn and Paisley Saint Murn or Abercorn and Saint Murn? 

With the Paisley teams enjoying a rivalry for the crown (or tiara) of most successful Paisley team would our underclass Greenock neighbours have survived without a kind, benefactor type rivalry with a Paisley club? 

What team would Thommo have followed?

What team would have the best drummer boy?

What team would have the biggest support?

What pubs would be Saint Murn pubs and what pubs would be Abercorn pubs?

Would Abercorn have sold pies at the same price as Saint Murn currently do?

Like every other city/town that has two teams, would religion have blighted the Saint Murn v Abercorn rivalry?

Would the rivalry be known as "the Buddie battle"?

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Probably, so at least one good thing came from their demise.  If they had survived, maybe the two Paisley clubs would have become the two major bigot attractions instead of the current two.  What a mess that would have made of our town.  Sorry, Abercorn, you just had to go - for the sake of Paisley.

Abercorn's demise has probably done the town a favour in terms of football. It's lead to non-gloryhunters to choose one side instead of going one way or the other. I wonder what sort of team the city of Dundee could have if either FC or United went bust decades ago. Both have decent attendances so having that combined over the years could have lead the city to having a more regular position in the Top 6.

Abercorn's sacrifice was not in vain!

Not living in Paisley, I don't know how people in the town feel after the 2021 bid failed but saw that the Campaign itself won a prize. Has the town pulled together in the way the fans of St Mirren have in the past two years?