Alan's first signings

1 minute ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

The club have made it clear that JJ is surplus to requirements and will be available for transfer . His place will be taken by Flareybob emoji6.png

Flareybob is the most reliable source on the forum, he is yet to get 1 wrong...

18 minutes ago, zico said:

Not sure we need 2 more centre forwards. We only play with one up front! Kellerman is the attacking midfielder sorted.

Need a defensive midfielder IMO, another full back and agree with you on keeper, centre half and winger.

Thing is though, I can certainly see Ross Stewart and possibly even Hippolyte being moved on. That would leave us with Cooke and Mullen with Smith as more of a wide player. Add another forward to that and it's fair enough but I'd be a bit happier with two options. Stubbs has historically enjoyed his squads being a bit heavy up top.

At Hibs, he had Tony Stokes, Jason Cummings, Dominiqe Malonga, James Keatings, Grant Holt and Brian Graham in his squad at one point. 

You said we are playing one up front next season & Jack Ross is responsible

I said he “was” responsible in reply to your “were playing one up front”. [emoji12]

Regardless, playing one central striker is pretty standard these days. I think we have a class no.10 in Cammy Smith so, IMO, we’ll play one up front.

Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

If I am correct then we have made 4 new signings and re-signed 1 .Total 5

Not bad going when we have targetted 7-9

3 of the 4 are from non league football. I seem to be in the minority here but we need proven experienced players now and a few of them. This is a big gamble if we supplement the guys signed with English young loanees as Stubbs has said.

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

3 of the 4 are from non league football. I seem to be in the minority here but we need proven experienced players now and a few of them. This is a big gamble if we supplement the guys signed with English young loanees as Stubbs has said.

Stubbs coached both new players at the a9 acadamy i think its called so knows them.  

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Black & White Army @bawarmy 3m3 minutes ago

Hello Gordon? Aye I’m on my way.. ⚫️⚪️. Looks like Stubbs has made his 2nd signing of the summer in @TruroCityTweet midfielder Cody Cooke.

Obviously went from Abbotsinch Aerodrome straight to the New Grun , totally bypassing Asda on the way. .

48 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Not over yet Ayrshire.  My guess would be 2 experienced players plus loanees. But... I see your point. 

Edited by St.Ricky

17 minutes ago, Dave The Buddie said:

I never judge players until I see them and I hope they are amazingly successful.

This reminds me of the season Danny Lennon got appointed and went for a few lower league players but if there as successful as McGregor it will be all good.

Reminds me more of the Tommy Craig season when we went into a premier season expecting non league signings like marwood, done English lower league players like ball and a team full of youngsters to keep us up. As others have said we need good experienced quality pros brought in now.

Edited by Big Yards

A lot will depend on whether AS and his team can get the best out of the existing and new players.

In addition to the new players to come in so far, we need the likes of Anthony Stokes (if he screws the bobbin), another goalkeeper to challenge CS, at least one wide player, + 2 more defenders.

The video footage of today's new signings looks promising - but they have been playing in lower league football.

If the types of signings referred to above take place, we should be comparable in quality to other mid table teams in the Scottish Premiership.

We are on our way!

It's a gamble bringing in non league players, but it has worked for other clubs in the recent past, and Heaton in particular looks a great prospect, given the teams keeping tabs on him.

Obviously more experience required, but these guys will be highly motivated to do well for us and give themselves a chance to higher in the game.

Reminds me more of the Tommy Craig season when we went into a premier season expecting non league signings like marwood, done English lower league players like ball and a team full of youngsters to keep us up. As others have said we need good experienced quality pros brought in now.

Craig didn’t have a season. He had 19 games. With a 15.79% win rate. (Wiki).

I'm not too worried about where these lads have come from. Think it's been proven on several occasions even in the last few years that there is talent in English non league football and it's just a case of identifying where the best talent is. 

Not every signing is going to knock it out of the park. Of course they aren't. I like the idea though, that the lads brought in have been witnessed by Stubbs first hand at close proximity and he clearly thinks there is something there with both that could translate up here. Sometimes players develop a little later, other times players may stay part time or local for their own convenience.

It appears that Cooke was a sports psychology lecturer in his local college so staying on the South Coast will have made sense while studying and latterly lecturing locally. That's why he appears to be a one club man since 17 rather than bouncing about non league clubs. Truro's website today in bidding farewell to the lad, acknowledged that the step up to full time football was both well earned and long overdue for him. 

Biggest fee paid in 25 years for a player from National League South. Do me a favour. Absolutely staggering gamble. If anyone of note was after him in England he wouldn't be at St Mirren.

A striker from Truro for the Premiership in Scotland who comes from part time football, got to be making it up. I wasn't fussed about Reilly moving on, I am now !

Both these signings make me really worried and anyone who isn't is kidding themselves. 

Hope to be totally wrong but not looking good IMO. 

Biggest fee paid in 25 years for a player from National League South. Do me a favour. Absolutely staggering gamble. If anyone of note was after him in England he wouldn't be at St Mirren.
A striker from Truro for the Premiership in Scotland who comes from part time football, got to be making it up. I wasn't fussed about Reilly moving on, I am now !
Both these signings make me really worried and anyone who isn't is kidding themselves. 

He’s a midfielder btw. [emoji106]

I think it looks interesting  , two big lads , that would certainly benefit from Hippolytes long throws , need a player with a bit of pace and trickery now to give us a  bit of width . Watched interviews of both new signings , and both come across as sensible lads who feel that they can improve as football players  , so the kind of player we should be signing  . A couple of sensible loan signings , and a couple of experienced SPL players , and I,ll be quite happy with how our squad is progressing

14 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Maybe we wait and see how good these new guys are before dismissing or writing them off outright.  AS has watched these guys and cannot believe he would fritter away a transfer fee.  No guarantees but they will get my full backing.  There will be further players coming in so let's judge them as they perform.

Edited by nedflanders123