Alan's first signings

Would rather the main criteria for brining in a player was ability rather than "experience"!

As someone else pointed out, Gary Harkins had top flight experience when we signed him!

Samson, both McGinns, Eckersely, Mackenzie, Flynn and Smith all have top flight or top flight equivalent experience so we're not exactly lacking!

Edited by zico

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

I mind we signed James Marwood from English non league.

We were down in the north east playing Whitley Bay in a preseason friendly and a group of Gateshead fans had came to watch in their colours. Got talking to them and they told us that they had came to say goodbye to James Marwood. Said he was a fantastic player who had been great for them and they had no doubt he would be great for us. He had just finished the season as their top scorer and was seen as one of the best players in the English non league.

Left that game thinking we had picked up a right gem.

Let’s hope these guys - who have been less successful in English non league than Marwood had been - are more successful with us than he was.

Wouldn’t be hard!

Difference is James Marwood came on the recommendation  of Newton and dummetts agent,  likelyhood is Tommy Craig hadn't even been to watch him play.

Alan Stubbs has seen both these boys play, and train for that matter and obviously sees enough in them to do a job for us. 

6 minutes ago, zico said:

Would rather the main criteria for brining in a player was ability rather than "experience"!

As someone else pointed out, Gary Harkins had top flight experience when we signed him!

Samson, both McGinns, Eckersely, Mackenzie, Flynn and Smith all have top flight or top flight equivalent experience so we're not exactly lacking!

You're spot on, but experience is also important. We do have decent experience in the team, I'd just like to see maybe a bit more brought in to supplement the raft of non league players from England. I'm positive about their arrivals as it can be a goldmine of undiscovered players, especially at our level.

Maybe an experienced centre back, as Mackenzie has shown that he struggles to stay fit for a full season. I think we might be seeing a new keeper come in as well.

13 minutes ago, zico said:

I think we need to be signing players who've played at least 209 games in the top two tiers of Scottish football.

That's precisely what Kevin Twaddle had, btw.

Difference is James Marwood came on the recommendation  of Newton and dummetts agent,  likelyhood is Tommy Craig hadn't even been to watch him play.
Alan Stubbs has seen both these boys play, and train for that matter and obviously sees enough in them to do a job for us. 

Craig coached Marwood as a youth at Newcastle.

3 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I think we need to be signing players who've played at least 209 games in the top two tiers of Scottish football.

That's precisely what Kevin Twaddle had, btw.

Andy Dow, 181 games in the top flight with clubs such as Chelsea, Hibs & Aberdeen. Only 29 when he joined us as well.

Stuart Carswell, 86 games in the top flight with Motherwell.

I have always taken the view that I won't commit to liking a player until I have seen them play and even more importantly, several times.

The post here reeks of medical experts who have had a cold at some time in their life and expect the next cold to be the flu!!!!!!! 

For god's sake give every player and the manager  a chance and then when they have failed miserably or been a raging success  by all means take to the keyboard and express your expert opinion. It seems that the trend now is to post negatively, so that you can be a smart-ass when they don't fit into the team or aren't capable of cutting the mustard at your desired level.

11 hours ago, Soctty said:

It's a gamble bringing in non league players, but it has worked for other clubs in the recent past, and Heaton in particular looks a great prospect, given the teams keeping tabs on him.

Obviously more experience required, but these guys will be highly motivated to do well for us and give themselves a chance to higher in the game.

I can't recall any Prem team having had success with players from such a low standard as tier 6 in England - enlighten me ?

The boy from Truro is 24 - he has had 6 years plus for his talent to have been "discovered".  I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see guys from that level being good enough to establish us in the top division.  I agreed with the Reilly decision but is anyone seriously suggesting a guy from tier 6 in England will be better than Reilly or for that matter Davis ?

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I can't recall any Prem team having had success with players from such a low standard as tier 6 in England - enlighten me ?

The boy from Truro is 24 - he has had 6 years plus for his talent to have been "discovered".  I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see guys from that level being good enough to establish us in the top division.  I agreed with the Reilly decision but is anyone seriously suggesting a guy from tier 6 in England will be better than Reilly or for that matter Davis ?

Jamie Vardy was in the 7th tier of English football just 12 months before Leicester "discovered" his talent at the age of 25.

Are you seriously suggesting that Gavin Reilly is better than him? :rolleyes:

Edited by zico

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Inverness signed 8 players from the national league in 13/14 and finished 5th that season. Motherwell made a profit of around £2 million on players signed from non-league on the likes of Marvin Johnson, Ben Henighan and Louis Moult.

The talent is there if the scouting is good. Give these guys a chance.

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Has he been brought in as a striker - and our main one?  Personally, I don't think so and AS will be bringing in a replacement for GR.  

12 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Has he been brought in as a striker - and our main one?  Personally, I don't think so and AS will be bringing in a replacement for GR.  

Cooke is being brought in as a striker, as that's where he impressed at the V9 Academy trials, and where he blossomed after switching from midfield. I think and hope it will be a case of competition for places, with no place secure unless you're delivering the goods.

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Gary Warren's 34 soon , but has had a great time at Inverness for the last six years , having had no league experience beforehand ! Josh Meekings no league experience whatsoever before joining ICT ! Have faith !

55 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Craig coached Marwood as a youth at Newcastle.

Tommy Craig was a first team coach with Newcastle when he left in 2006. James Marwood would have been 14. Find it hard to believe Newcastle first team coaches also train the kids. Even so,  if Tommy Craig signed players on how good they were 14 then no wonder he made an absolute c**t of it.

To compare stubbs working with these 2 boys and TC working with Marwood is just silly.

13 minutes ago, bud84 said:

Tommy Craig was a first team coach with Newcastle when he left in 2006. James Marwood would have been 14. Find it hard to believe Newcastle first team coaches also train the kids. Even so,  if Tommy Craig signed players on how good they were 14 then no wonder he made an absolute c**t of it.

To compare stubbs working with these 2 boys and TC working with Marwood is just silly.

Surely TC wouldn't say anything silly? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Willing to give him a chance rather than absolutely destroying him.

Edited by kevo_smfc

Just now, Soctty said:

I am personally suggesting they could be. In fact there's absolutely no reason why they can't be. Like you say, give them a chance.

Now reading my comment it should be edited to say 'Willing to give him a chance rather than absolutely destroying him.'

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2016/june/stubbs-promises-quality-signings/

Bet the Rotherham fans are impressed with the quality signings.

Stubbs should never have been given the SMFC job and we are going to pay a heavy price for it.

He was a failure in the Championship with one of the top sides in Scotland, a total flop at Rotherham and his signing policy so far at St Mirren is shocking IMO

I know it's a different era, though think of the names that Saints signed from the juniors most notably in the 70s. It doesn't matter what level you have been playing at, plenty of players fall into the wilderness or have just not found that opportunity yet. This Jamie Vardy lad is an ambassador for this type of scenario. Even Ian Wright I remember was playing Evostick or similar level until the age of 22 before Crystal Palace signed him. The rest is history.

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2016/june/stubbs-promises-quality-signings/
Bet the Rotherham fans are impressed with the quality signings.
Stubbs should never have been given the SMFC job and we are going to pay a heavy price for it.
He was a failure in the Championship with one of the top sides in Scotland, a total flop at Rotherham and his signing policy so far at St Mirren is shocking IMO

He’s made a total of 2 signings [emoji23][emoji23]

No wonder I ditched this place for a good while.