Alan's first signings

5 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2016/june/stubbs-promises-quality-signings/

Bet the Rotherham fans are impressed with the quality signings.

Stubbs should never have been given the SMFC job and we are going to pay a heavy price for it.

He was a failure in the Championship with one of the top sides in Scotland, a total flop at Rotherham and his signing policy so far at St Mirren is shocking IMO

Why not give the signings - and the manager - a chance before slaughtering them?

Cant wait for the rest, if the first 2 are anything to go by should be interesting and expensive

Yes, because every signing will follow the exact same pattern and criteria [emoji849]

When Motherwell, Dundee, and others make these type of signings, they’re lauded because they usually have a good track record of finding gems at that level. We should absolutely be exploring this market. It’s something we haven’t been doing enough of in previous years. Ball and Marwood were obvious failures but it doesn’t mean we should abandon the idea completely.

8 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I know it's a different era, though think of the names that Saints signed from the juniors most notably in the 70s. It doesn't matter what level you have been playing at, plenty of players fall into the wilderness or have just not found that opportunity yet. This Jamie Vardy lad is an ambassador for this type of scenario. Even Ian Wright I remember was playing Evostick or similar level until the age of 22 before Crystal Palace signed him. The rest is history.

Ian Wright was playing Sunday league football before joining a team in the Kent League (equivalent of 10th tier in English football). He played 6 matches there before joining Crystal Palace.

Going by Ayrshire Saint's logic, he would only have had a fraction of the ability of Gavin Reilly. :wacko:

6 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Yes, because every signing will follow the exact same pattern and criteria emoji849.png

When Motherwell, Dundee, and others make these type of signings, they’re lauded because they usually have a good track record of finding gems at that level. We should absolutely be exploring this market. It’s something we haven’t been doing enough of in previous years. Ball and Marwood were obvious failures but it doesn’t mean we should abandon the idea completely.

We have 3 from non league in England already plus McGinn who we previously released. Its going well so far. Hopefully the pattern and criteria change pretty damn quick

Edited by lenziebud

We have 3 from non league in England already plus McGinn who we previously released. Its going well so far. Hopefully the pattern and criteria change pretty damn quick

I seriously doubt every single signing will be similar. Besides, Kellerman and McGinn were JR signings.

It’s fairly obvious that some posters will never accept a manager who they didn’t want appointed from outset. It’s a bit daft to slaughter the manager and his signings before a ball is kicked. Let’s wait and see what experienced players he can sign, to supplement the young and hungry players coming from the Vardy academy.

This formula has worked well for other teams at this level, and it’s Stubbs reputation that’s on the line if it doesn’t work. So he’s hardly going to sign players that he doesn’t think will cut it at this level.

It's always the same when clubs in Scotland (not just us) are linked with a guy from the lower leagues down south. Fans bring up the examples of guys who've done well such as Adam Rooney and Billy Mckay (well, for a season or two). Likewise, when it comes to non-league signings everyone brings up Vardy. These guys are very much the exceptions. The majority who have come from this background turn out to be pretty useless (Calvin Zola at Aberdeen instantly springs to mind) and after the signings when we were last in the Premiership of folk like Marwood and Ball I can fully understand why people are concerned.

We've signed them now and they get my backing. They deserve a chance to show what they can do before we slate them. The fact Stubbs has worked with Cooke and Heaton  while at the V9 Academy thing is encouraging, and if EFL clubs want them they can't be totally useless (unless they wanted them because they were the next Calvin Zola). Three guys from non-league is probably enough though!

The stuff about the biggest transfer fee for quarter of a century, who would that have been on? We paid cash for Yardley but not sure we gave Cowdenbeath that much. Only other one I can think of from that time is John Boyd from Dumbarton.

16 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

The signings are happening. I really believe we can win the League now ( Sorry just adapting the England Football team mentality )

Don't find them anywhere near as bad as previous world cups. They look more like a team now also than individuals from previous world cups , I think they will go far. 

7 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

FFS- Did you have money on Argentina

Cheer Up !!!!

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Likewise, when it comes to non-league signings everyone brings up Vardy. These guys are very much the exceptions. The majority who have come from this background turn out to be pretty useless

Louis Moult, Marvin Johnson and Ben Heneghan weren't useless.

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Don't find them anywhere near as bad as previous world cups. They look more like a team now also than individuals from previous world cups , I think they will go far. 

I think considering they have Panama, Tunisia and then a very weak Group 8 match up, they will go as far until the meet a good football team. That will be quarters- then they will lose 

Edited by DougJamie

29 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

McGinn, whom we released and who then went on to play at a better level/standard of football than our club has over the past 3 seasons? Will you eat humble pie if these players from the National League do well for us? Or will you be reluctant to give praise to them having already condemned them?

Edited by Soctty

3 minutes ago, Soctty said:

McGinn, whom we released and who then went on to play at a better level/standard of football than our club has over the past 3 seasons? Will you eat humble pie if these players from the National League do well for us? Or will you be reluctant to give praise to them having already condemned them?

I remember when we used to pick up players from the juniors on a regular basis.  Be it a few years ago. Quite a few done alright for themselves.   Fresh talent, not has beens.  

38 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

We didn't release McGinn. He chose to leave for regular football and was back in the Premiership 12 months later when he signed for Dundee.

11 minutes ago, Soctty said:

We didn't release Paul McGinn. He opted not to accept a contract extension in order to get first team football.

Edited by Drew

Just now, Stu said:

We didn't release McGinn. He chose to leave for regular football and was back in the Premiership 12 months later when he signed for Dundee.

Just now, Drew said:

We didn't release Paulq McGinn. He opted not to accept a contract extension in order to get first team football.

:)

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

We didn't release Paulq McGinn. He opted not to accept a contract extension in order to get first team football.

Aye, I think the point stands though that he has been playing at a higher level than us for the past few seasons so is hardly a poor signing as is being implied.

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Aye, I think the point stands though that he has been playing at a higher level than us for the past few seasons so is hardly a poor signing as is being implied.

Absolutely. I was correcting Lenziebud, more than anything.

Perhaps those who are criticising the standard of signings so far could clarify exactly what they were expecting.