Alan's first signings

10 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:
13 minutes ago, pod said:
To some, for most, it's about winning games.   We should not be pre-judging our new recruits or at least make them feel welcomed.    

Cheers mate. But I will pre-judge whoever I want and welcome whoever I want.

That wasn't solely directed to you.  It should have been more generalised, for that I appoligise.     I personnally  like to judge after I witness the evidence.  

Edited by pod

52 minutes ago, elvis said:

But what's it got to do with his ability to play. football

Think he was just saying what king said was during a match while he was playing football I’m not saying the boys should be hounded on here but he’s obviously got a bit of a checkered history though it’s in the past and it was 3 years ago when he was 18/19, there’s not been anything mentioned since that incident so I’ve not got too much of an issue though if he does something like in a st Mirren shirt I would have a lot to say about it 

Edited by ReturnOf isma is god

1 hour ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Is the racist thing not to be mentioned then?

King’s a racist, Hippo is a diver, Miller is a disruptive underminer of managers, Stokes is a fcuking fruitloop....

Can Mother Teresa of Calcutta still do a job, even as an impact player off the bench?

Welcome everyone, those who have signed, those with whom we have been linked, and those we have had training with us..... to the Simple Digital Dregs of Society Stadium.... move over dirty Leeds!

We’re scum, and we know we are.... 

edit: got one. Cost me two purple trophies and three wee heart shapes.... FFS.

Edited by pozbaird

40 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

No, I haven't forgotten that. Not that I think Gullit was correct. I think he mistook boos as being race related.
Anyhow, whether he was right or wrong, I dont see the relevance.

Are some of our 4000 fans racist? Probably. Same for every club.

I'm not getting on King's case from the get go here by the way. I just thought it was odd folk seemed unhappy with his racism towards fellow footballers being mentioned.

:lol: Aye very good!

Edited by FTOF

6 hours ago, Jack the lad said:

I have serious reservations with the signings this far, are we going to go from a small fast free flowing team , to one of giants who try to over power team.? I have the feeling these are  Ok we've paid for one but think they are just cheap options. Time will tell though.

Stubbs' reputation is one of playing good football, so I would expect these guys to be able to pay a bit, as well a being able to handle themselves physically. Not saying they'll all definitely work out but Stubbs will have looked for footballing ability before size.

Whatched Jeff King being interviewed on Buddievision. He came across very well. It is important that these lads see St Mirren as a big step up, and a chance to prove themselves. They all seem genuinely buzzing to have signed for us, and that ticks a big box for me.

I would much rather that than seasoned journeymen whose best days are behind them looking for a club to coast towards their retirement with, or bampots happy to accept any port in a storm.

These lads know that there is a lot at stake for them. They won't just be phoning it in, and I wish them all the best. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play for us.

Edited by Drew

I'm liking the fact we have signed young enthusiastic players , who have potential to improve , a couple of loan players and a couple of experienced players and we,ll have not a bad squad , interesting to see what kind of football we will play , but very happy with how things have progressed this week . Would even be quite happy if we took a risk with Stokes or Miller or both , might even make an effort to watch one of our pre season warm up games.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Whatched Jeff King being interviewed on Buddievision. He came across very well. It is important that these lads see St Mirren as a big step up, and a chance to prove themselves. They all seem genuinely buzzing to have signed for us, and that ticks a big box for me.

I would much rather that than seasoned journeymen whose best days are behind them looking for a club to coast towards their retirement with, or bampots happy to accept any port in a storm.

These lads know that there is a lot at stake for them. They won't just be phoning it in, and I wish them all the best. I'm really looking forward to seeing them play for us.

I felt the same watching it. It’s great to see the enthusiasm these lads have and refreshing to hear him talk about being so excited to get started.  Plenty of talented players have been at the club and failed because of their attitudes, at least these lads seem to understand the opportunity they have and want to make the most of it. 

I'm not even as worried at the prospect of Stokes being a bam anymore. At the very least he seems to respect Stubbs. 

If he gets his head down, understands this is probably his last chance and betters in a few goals, I'm sure we could have a couple of good seasons out of him. 

1 hour ago, John Gotti said:

I felt the same watching it. It’s great to see the enthusiasm these lads have and refreshing to hear him talk about being so excited to get started.  Plenty of talented players have been at the club and failed because of their attitudes, at least these lads seem to understand the opportunity they have and want to make the most of it. 

Despite some of the erroneous statements in some earlier posts, both Heaton and Cooke were wanted by clubs of a far bigger stature than us and/or by clubs of a similar stature.

These clubs must have seen something in these players to be willing to take a chance on them. I'm glad that we outcompeted them to sign young ,talented hungry players.

Hopefully the days of signing jobbers who flit round Scottish football in a midst of bland mediocrity are over.

More and more clubs are beginning to realise that signing that sort of player isn't the way to go.

Edited by FTOF

Hello chaps, Darlington fan here. Have just been having a read of your thread and thought I might chip in as I can see there’s differing thoughts on his signing.

He has the potential to be a very good player, very young for a centre back but he is 6’5 so dominant in the air, is still fairly quick, reads the game very well and is pretty comfortable on the ball as well. 

I’m joking of course but unless you have 6’7 strikers in the Scottish Premiership he ain’t going to lose anything much in the air and is going to cause havoc going forward for set pieces.

As for the comments on the fee - I’m afraid you wouldn’t have got him for any less and I think you’ve done rather well. Supply and demand on that one and he was very much in demand. I can tell you first hand that he’s been watched by Fulham, Middlesbrough and Everton and apparently was one of the stand out players at the V9 academy. We didn’t especially need to sell him. As much as you guys think it’s a risk to pay for a non league player I can tell you I was (no offence intended) pretty surprised he chose to come to St Mirren, although in hindsight I think it’s a very good move for both parties.

Anyway, the intent of coming in here was to tell you that I’ve watched him play probably about 30 games now and after 3 I could have told you he’ll be a very good player. Stick with him, remember he’s still young for a centre back and take care of him as we need the money from the sell on clauses!

All the best!

Edited by Stretchquaker

9 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Got the impression that Stubbsy being here was a big factor for Jeff King. I wonder if he's an Evertonian.

It was, and he is, very much so (confirmed it in his interview with top man Jimbo).

15 hours ago, Drew said:

Ach well, you can't please all the people all the time.

Some folks will always look for something to whine about.

Racism is totally unacceptable, however, and if this lad is racist in any way, shape, or form whilst at our club, then he should be unceremoniously booted out on his arse.

He is still young, though, and whilst that is no excuse, it is to be hoped that he has learned from the rebuke and awareness input he received.

As for the general attitude on the part of some on here who seem keen to write off our latest acquisitions before they have even featured, it is pretty typical of a section of our support. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do. I hope they are ambitious and committed, and would rather see them getting a chance with us than the likes of Stokes and Miller.

This. 

34 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

God that was a bolt out of the blue my late father played for Bradford Park Avenue when they were in the English league :huh:

Pat Liney ?

Remember watching him play for Bradford Park Avenue against Spurs on MOTD during the late sixties , and my dad saying the keeper was a Paisley lad .