No tight offsides at world cup

guinness

29 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Games kick offs at 19:45 and finishes at 23:52, if this is the way forward. We have already seen VAR get it wrong. It's a no from me

That will be fun as no games kick off at that time.

A massive over reaction here, VAR has worked pretty well and with so much at stake I think it's fair it's introduced.

1 hour ago, Happy Go Lucky said:

That will be fun as no games kick off at that time.

On Saturday, Croatia v Nigeria kicks off even later, 8pm UK time and is being played in Kaliningrad.

However, that's only 1 hour ahead of BST since the Russians played around with permanent  summer time in 2011 and 2014.

16 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

On Saturday, Croatia v Nigeria kicks off even later, 8pm UK time and is being played in Kaliningrad.

However, that's only 1 hour ahead of BST since the Russians played around with permanent  summer time in 2011 and 2014.

Ok, one game kicks off later, pardon me, although there are still no games KO at 7:45.

That's interesting about the summer time changes.

I think VAR is worthwhile, so much at stake, hate to lose out on a goal down to human error.

I was quite encouraged when I read full details of how they plan to use it at this World Cup. Seems that they are on the right lines.

It's how they choose to use it that is the key. If they use it in the right ways at the right times, in a manner that suits football, it's going to be a vast improvement over forcing referees to decide the outcomes of games via guess work.

If they get it wrong, it's going to get on peoples' tits and be a wasted opportunity to bring refereeing into the 21st century, as many other sports have.

• 2 weeks later...