The Simple Digital Arena

I don't like selling the name of the stadium.  Not everything needs to be up for sale.
Would you accept 25,000 per year to change the name of the club?  It won't be long before a British club does that, already happens in other countries.

You really do need to get a grip of yourself. Who is even considering changing the name of the club ? It’s a pile of breeze blocks and prefabricated concrete sections, of course we should sell the naming rights .
We have had jersey sponsors for a couple of decades , players get sponsors, matches , balls , ball boys and even when we get a f**kin corner ... why should the Ground be any different. ?

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

You really do need to get a grip of yourself. Who is even considering changing the name of the club ? It’s a pile of breeze blocks and prefabricated concrete sections, of course we should sell the naming rights .
We have had jersey sponsors for a couple of decades , players get sponsors, matches , balls , ball boys and even when we get a f**kin corner ... why should the Ground be any different. ?

It was only a matter of time until some knobend thought it would be a good idea to sponsor bloody corner kicks by flashing up their company logo on the scoreboard every time one is awarded. Who was it?

:oohlala

Edited by pozbaird

24 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

It was only a matter of time until some knobend thought it would be a good idea to sponsor bloody corner kicks by flashing up their company logo on the scoreboard every time one is awarded. Who was it?

:oohlala

It was someone who was wise enough to know that at every corner everybody would look at the clock on the scoreboard to see where we were in the 90 minutes, and couldn’t find out because a bloodly Big Front Door was in the way.

11 minutes ago, E=Mc2 said:

It was someone who was wise enough to know that at every corner everybody would look at the clock on the scoreboard to see where we were in the 90 minutes, and couldn’t find out because a bloodly Big Front Door was in the way.

Yep. I have done that! 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Also , we as a group of supporters can’t even decide what the place is called. To some it’s Greenhill road, st.mirren park to others and a small group still refer to it as love street. Me ? , I simply call it “ The Fitba “ no matter who or what name is on the match day programme.

I just refer to it as going to Paisley.

A benefit of being an exile.

17 minutes ago, Drew said:

I just refer to it as going to Paisley.

A benefit of being an exile.

I just call it ‘the ground’, or refer to us having ‘a home game’. For example, back in the day, if Mrs Poz asked me ‘where are St Mirren playing next week’, I’d reply ‘Love Street’. The exact same question these days is answered ‘it’s a home game’.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I just call it ‘the ground’, or refer to us having ‘a home game’. For example, back in the day, if Mrs Poz asked me ‘where are St Mirren playing next week’, I’d reply ‘Love Street’. The exact same question these days is answered ‘it’s a home game’.

Exactly this . people will call whatever our ground is named whatever they wish to call it.  

Its a "hame game," its twenty twenty wan , its The Nou feegie, Its The Grun , its whatever and if people want to give us £100000 + for us to continue to say this then who gives a f**k ?

If someone came n chapped my door n said.. "Ill pay your Mortgage for 4 years if you let us call it Simple Digital house instead of 15 xxxxxx Grove"

Id sign up right away.

Would any of you honestly say no?

Any business wants naming rights on my pad for cash its a no brainer. Tampax Tower, BrewDog Bungalo, Coke a Cola Cottage... Wouldnt give a toss. Its literally free cash.

Other than if your getting a chinky delivered for half time or a taxi will you ever need to use the words Simple Digital. Maybe not even then.

It disnae matter what you or me call it.All that matters is every time the BBC,Radio Clyde or even newspapers report on our games the SDA will be mentioned.Thousands of people will Google to find out more about it and some of those thousands will use the Sponsors product.

Easy,effortless money for the Club.

Still can't believe the roofs ain't sponsored.

1 hour ago, SaintGlenburn said:

If someone came n chapped my door n said.. "Ill pay your Mortgage for 4 years if you let us call it Simple Digital house instead of 15 xxxxxx Grove"

Id sign up right away.

Any business wants naming rights on my pad for cash its a no brainer. Tampax Tower, BrewDog Bungalo, Coke a Cola Cottage... Wouldnt give a toss. Its literally free cash.

Other than if your getting a chinky delivered for half time or a taxi will you ever need to use the words Simple Digital. Maybe not even then.

I would say no.

It's my house and I've paid for it, I've fought for it, and I've had to pay for it again so I wouldn't be letting anyone have any control over anything to do with my property. To me that is a no brainer. Having your house renamed in such a commercial and tacky manner - even if it was only for a short designated period - would have a detrimental effect on the value of the property. 

A football stadium though? Even if the name sticks long after the naming deal has ended it's not going to matter. St Mirren are quite right to take the money. At least this time round it's not taxpayers money that could have been much better utilised. 

5 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Did the owner of Hull not try to change their name to Hull Tigers?  I could be wrong. 

In the 1970's Coventry City tried to change their name to Coventry Talbot as part of a sponsorship deal. The Football League blocked it. I don't think the Tiger thing was anything to do with sponsorship at Hull, it was just that their Chairman preferred the name "Tiger" to "City" - feckin weirdo that he is. Anyway that  was blocked by the FA.

9 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Id sign up right away.

Better edit your post mate. There’s a couple of cnuts on here who will be right after you if you’re not careful.

I like the new name. I think calling it an arena puts us up there with the Allianz in Munich or, erm, the ice hockey in Braehead, whereas in reality, it’s a wee identikit modern fitba’ ground. The important thing is that it is now feeling like OUR wee identikit modern fitba’ ground, and has now seen some success, some memories created, and hopefully GLS is serious about future development to take us forward.

If I’m being serious for a moment, had we remained at Love Street, and Love Street was our pucker, official name of over a 100 years standing, changing it to The Simple Digital Arena would likely be boak-inducing. We were always in a weird situation anyway, because it was actually St Mirren Park. No matter, we are where we are, and it feels normal to me, to hawk the name around to whoever wants it. I just cannot see many Saints fans, or indeed Livvy fans, becoming misty-eyed about our functional modern stadiums to the extent that we should knock back cash that helps us take on the top flight.

As a football fan, not a Saints fan, even though I don’t like the clubs themselves, there are plenty of stadiums in Scotland and England that I think their traditional names should not be sold off to sponsors... a prime example being when Fat Mike tried it in Newcastle. Just wrong.

Anyway... Off to see Stubbsy’s B&W Army down at the SDA? Nope, I have no issue with that, as long as Stubbsy’s B&W Army are winning some football matches in it.

Edited by pozbaird

11 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Id sign up right away.

Or the Glenburn Gaff.

12 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Id sign up right away.

If my house was named after blue movies I would pay them to change it. Double triple X indeed.

14 hours ago, HSS said:

It disnae matter what you or me call it.All that matters is every time the BBC,Radio Clyde or even newspapers report on our games the SDA will be mentioned.Thousands of people will Google to find out more about it and some of those thousands will use the Sponsors product.

Easy,effortless money for the Club.

Still can't believe the roofs ain't sponsored.

Clever thinking  

• 5 weeks later...