New Assistant Manager

Coaching career[edit]

In 2000, Rice was appointed assistant manager to Ian McCall at Greenock Morton, making one appearance as a player. Rice was then assistant manager to McCall at Airdrieonians, but the club went out of business in 2002. McCall and Rice then both moved to similar positions at Falkirk. McCall eventually moved on to Dundee United, while Rice continued at Falkirk, assisting John Hughes. He helped the club win the First Division in 2005 and reach the 2009 Scottish Cup Final.

Rice followed Hughes in returning to Hibernian when Hughes was appointed manager there in June 2009.[3][4] Rice also left the club when John Hughes departed as manager by mutual consent in October 2010.[5] As of June 2015, Rice was coaching Al Khor in the Qatar Stars League.

Of course it's totally up to Stubbs to decide who he can work with and who can be a good influence on our club.

I remember his name appearing a lot when Yogi was manager at Falkirk but little else so thought I'd do a wee Google search.

There's a news paper article in 2013 about him asking our then Manager to help him out financially to help avoid jail in Qatar due to him gambling away a small fortune that he'd borrowed from their government.

With that and Darren Jackson's own well documented personal financial disasters I'm slightly concerned. There seems to be a theme here. Did you used to work with Yogi? Yes.....good. Have you ever had legal proceedings taken over your financial affairs? Yes......good.

These are guys that we hope are going to steer our next group of superstars from youth team to first team.

Maybe Allan sees them as guys who have been through the good times and the bad times and can use their experiences to help the youngsters. There just seems to be a lot of baggage with both.

Anyway if he comes welcome to the best club in the world. Good luck.

24 minutes ago, Drew said:

Grieves is on holiday at the moment by all accounts. Maybe he has just been out in the sun too long and his heid is fried?

Let's hope so , as , all in all , our chances of staying up already look fried !

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It's who Alan thinks he can work with at least Rice should know some of our players from his time at ICT. Billy.

It's a two way street Ian. Rice has been kicking about Scottish football for so long to no avail , that all our players will probably recognise him too !

Some of the utter shite posted on here... Div should get his arse down to B&Q, see if he can instal a bigger wank tank.

I’ve followed St Mirren a long time. If you asked me to name the managers and players I’ve seen come and go, I could have a fair bash at it. If you asked me to name assistant managers and coaches, I’d get a few of the higher profile names obviously, then I wouldn’t have a clue.

Oh yes, I remember well trooping out of the 2010 League Cup final, shaking my head and thinking ‘we could have beaten those nine cnuts if only we had a better first team coach...’ All those crushing 1980s semi final cup losses - that ball would never have gone through Billy’s legs at Dens, if only our assistant manager had pulled his weight. 

Gonnae’ steal one of Drew’s FFS at this rate.

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Oh yes, I remember well trooping out of the 2010 League Cup final, shaking my head and thinking ‘we could have beaten those nine cnuts if only we had a better first team coach...

Many a true word is spoken in jest !

1 hour ago, Hambud said:

Of course it's totally up to Stubbs to decide who he can work with and who can be a good influence on our club.

I remember his name appearing a lot when Yogi was manager at Falkirk but little else so thought I'd do a wee Google search.

There's a news paper article in 2013 about him asking our then Manager to help him out financially to help avoid jail in Qatar due to him gambling away a small fortune that he'd borrowed from their government.

With that and Darren Jackson's own well documented personal financial disasters I'm slightly concerned. There seems to be a theme here. Did you used to work with Yogi? Yes.....good. Have you ever had legal proceedings taken over your financial affairs? Yes......good.

These are guys that we hope are going to steer our next group of superstars from youth team to first team.

Maybe Allan sees them as guys who have been through the good times and the bad times and can use their experiences to help the youngsters. There just seems to be a lot of baggage with both.

Anyway if he comes welcome to the best club in the world. Good luck.

I'm sure you agree it's how a person dusts themselves down move on that can make said person a better human being. I feel uncomfortable that we are being to critical before the door is even opened. Gordon Scott is not stupid he will have done checks and happy to support his manager as we should also. I'm not making a dig at you It's the over all picture. 

15 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Robert Grieve on Twitter saying Brian Rice is who Stubbs is in talks with regarding the No2 position.

He's a right pudding. :rolleyes:

For the record, if he is Alan assistant, the very best of luck to him. 

Edited by pod

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Some of the utter shite posted on here... Div should get his arse down to B&Q, see if he can instal a bigger wank tank.

I’ve followed St Mirren a long time. If you asked me to name the managers and players I’ve seen come and go, I could have a fair bash at it. If you asked me to name assistant managers and coaches, I’d get a few of the higher profile names obviously, then I wouldn’t have a clue.

Oh yes, I remember well trooping out of the 2010 League Cup final, shaking my head and thinking ‘we could have beaten those nine cnuts if only we had a better first team coach...’ All those crushing 1980s semi final cup losses - that ball would never have gone through Billy’s legs at Dens, if only our assistant manager had pulled his weight. 

Gonnae’ steal one of Drew’s FFS at this rate.

By the same token: see that league cup win? Must have been thanks to the assistant manager. Let's give him the main gig!

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

"an element of compensation...."

Was thinking the same ? A coach who can better himself and they want a cut of the cake, seriously.  Have worked with a few boys from Inverness them and guys from Aberdeen are the tightet people I have ever come across so it does not come as a surprise.  Probably the reason this has dragged on. 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Was thinking the same ? A coach who can better himself and they want a cut of the cake, seriously.  Have worked with a few boys from Inverness them and guys from Aberdeen are the tightet people I have ever come across so it does not come as a surprise.  Probably the reason this has dragged on. 

They are entitled to ask for it if he is under contract, but I would hope we wouldn't be spunking away too much poppy for his services.