Gavin Reilly

46 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Totally agree , its not as if the contract offer was put on the table the day before his wife gave birth , and removed two days later . He got caught out , and he knows it . Still would have liked to have kept him though .  

I agree with this. Gavin had plenty of time to accept the new offer before it was withdrawn. He might have shown a bit more commitment given that the club gave him a great chance to kickstart his career last season. I'd have liked to keep him and give him a shot at the premiership, but not with his present attitude.

I'm sure with his record from last season he'll get another club, but I doubt that he'll be going to Sunderland. 

Good Luck, Gavin, and thanks for your efforts last season. In time, you might realise that you've made a bit of a mistake here.

11 hours ago, VivaLaDron said:
17 hours ago, LargsBud said:
If Mullen had scored 22 goals for us last season there's a good chance he'd be looking to get a better deal elsewhere as well. 
But he didn't. He scored 3 and is still with us.
Let's not pretend that we'd rather have Mullen than Reilly just because our ego is a bit dented because Reilly didn't sign the new deal.

I'd rather have Mullen because he's a better footballer than Reilly.

Agree with this they are two diffeent types of style. Gav only got 11 league goals , that played a big part in our season but it's not a great return for a team that won the league.  Mullen is more phisical much better suitd for the premiership. 

16 hours ago, iceblink said:

And one against Aberdeen.  ( Hope he doesn't sign for Livi )

Indeed - this isn't meant as a criticism of Reilly, but I think we can do better, and need better to compete in this league. I'd have loved to keep Gavin, but probably not as our main striker.

Couldn't care less if Reilly has gone, he's not good enough for the Premiership, unfortunately neither are our other strikers !

Jack Ross pulled the wool over fans eyes with the "buying with a view to next season" in Jan. What he was buying for was to 100% get out the Championship and then rebuild for the Premiership this close season, hence the 9 new players he talked about.

Impressed with Stubbs handling of Reilly, a good start.

If Jack Ross signs Gavin Reilly for Sunderland he'll fail early as manager. Reilly is low level Div 2 in England at absolute best.

Doubt there is a grain of truth in Ross being linked with ex SMFC players and all just press and internet bull.

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

If he was preoccupied with the arrival of the baby and that was his priority, I would have thought a major priority for a father with a new baby was securing his future income.

Obviously thought, the St. Mirren offer, wasn't good enough or he would have signed quicker than shouting "I changed the last nappy!"    

Edited by E=Mc2
poor grammer

So long and thanks for the fish Gavin - slightly off topic but what happened to the club that kept a crocked David Clarkson on?

Is Reilly the real deal or a reincarnation of Stewart Kean - time will tell...…………..

Swimming against the tide here but I reckon it's far from certain that Stubbsy will be able to recruit two better forwards than Reilly on our budget this transfer window - I'll be impressed if he does.

Edited by Bud the Baker

20 minutes ago, E=Mc2 said:

If he was preoccupied with the arrival of the baby and that was his priority, I would have thought a major priority for a father with a new baby was securing his future income.

Obviously thought, the St. Mirren offer, wasn't good enough or he would have signed quicker than shouting "I changed the last nappy!"    

The boy clearly doesn't want to leave Saints - a big plus in my book. The player is reaching out. Mr Stubbs should pick the phone up and get a deal done. No need to part ways. Gavin and Saints have been good for each other.

44 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

So long and thanks for the fish Gavin - slightly off topic but what happened to the club that kept a crocked David Clarkson on?

Is Reilly the real deal or a reincarnation of Stewart Kean - time will tell...…………..

Swimming against the tide here but I reckon it's far from certain that Stubbsy will be able to recruit two better forwards than Reilly on our budget this transfer window - I'll be impressed if he does.

If we don't recruit better than Reilly, we will struggle. Reilly had a season in the Premiership and struggled with Hearts, then a season in the Championship and struggled with Dunfermline. He excelled with us playing in a system that suited him, with players around him that complimented him.

It's debatable whether he would have been good enough for us this time round in the Premiership - as with most of our current squad - but the club put a value on his services and the player decided to take his chances on getting a better deal.

I genuinely wish him all the best for the future, and thank him for his sterling efforts in stripes.

33 minutes ago, magnus said:

The boy clearly doesn't want to leave Saints - a big plus in my book. The player is reaching out. Mr Stubbs should pick the phone up and get a deal done. No need to part ways. Gavin and Saints have been good for each other.

Mr Stubbs should indeed pick up the phone and get deals done for players, as I’m sure he is / will be / needs to sooner rather than later. He shouldn’t be anywhere near phoning Gavin’s agent. A decision has been made and Stubbs has made it. The next phone call Gavin’s agent makes will likely be to Falkirk, Dunfermline, Morton, Queens....

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, E=Mc2 said:

Exactly, surely your employment would be a major priority.  I don't buy this 'stunned to be going, I was happy to sign' shite.

If he was that happy he would have signed weeks ago, and not had his head turned by an agent.

18 hours ago, magnus said:

He was a part of an exciting promotion winning team and  more than did his bit. Total respect. All the best Gavin.

Respect isn't just earned over part of a season........ holding out means its him first. Hope he enjoys the Championship for another year

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Couldn't care less if Reilly has gone, he's not good enough for the Premiership, unfortunately neither are our other strikers !

Jack Ross pulled the wool over fans eyes with the "buying with a view to next season" in Jan. What he was buying for was to 100% get out the Championship and then rebuild for the Premiership this close season, hence the 9 new players he talked about.

How has he pulled the wool over anyone's eyes?

What do you expect him have said.."I've just brought these guys here in January but don't worry they'll be getting punted in the summer"?

Guest TPAFKATS
The boy refused our first contract and never signed the second, improved offer. Not really convincing me that he doesn't want to leave.

Like most folk I :-

1) Don’t blame him for mulling over the deal in the first instance; and

2) Don’t blame him for holding off when Jack left. Most people wouldn’t take a job without having the first clue who your boss was going to be.

However, having done so, he also had to accept a couple of things.

1) That you’re running the risk that the new manager might not fancy you and your left with no deal.

2) Having taken that calculated risk you don’t go greetin’ to the papers and on Twitter because your gamble failed.

On balance I’d have been happy for Gavin to stay around as long as he wasn’t ripping the pish too much with his contract, but I can’t say I’m devastated that he’s gone. 

4 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
10 hours ago, magnus said:

The boy refused our first contract and never signed the second, improved offer. Not really convincing me that he doesn't want to leave.

I don't think it is Alan Shrubbs fault that Gav' ended up leafing. .not at all . .

Our manager has done the right thing, what a load of pish excuses Reilly offered. I'd have more respect if he'd told the truth.... that he was weighing up his options and taking a gamble and it backfired.  He might have done a job for us but we'll never know and we move on...

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 3:36 PM, LargsBud said:

If Mullen had scored 22 goals for us last season there's a good chance he'd be looking to get a better deal elsewhere as well. 

But he didn't. He scored 3 and is still with us.

Let's not pretend that we'd rather have Mullen than Reilly just because our ego is a bit dented because Reilly didn't sign the new deal.

This is right on the button.

11 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
8 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:
There are some here that are barking. Maybe they are out of their tree.  .:morton

Maybe?????

:D