I'm So Excited For The Season Ahead

I'm looking forward to seeing our next signings.  Must say I'm pretty worried at the moment, taking part time players to full time clubs is very hit and miss.  More miss and hit.  Not a problem if its just a few squad players and we have some experienced heads coming in now.....

8 hours ago, Big Yards said:

And a goalkeeper and just about a whole new midfield 

No place for McGinn, McGennis, Flynn etc then ? I'd say we are more or less covered there. Add our new signings to what we already had, we're more or less sorted. 

9 hours ago, Big Yards said:

What exactly are people excited about? At the minute we’ve definitely gone backwards. Hopefully about 4 top players still to come in 

For me we have move forward. Love Jack Ross and hope he does well down south. Feel we have a very good manager who has obviously good contacts have also watched some video's of players in who look good. There will be a few players coming up from Everton under 23's  in Stubbs words ready for first team football  all this on top of what we have from last season. We know Stokes is on trial plus the big ex Dundee United striker For me we will be in a much better place than I thought possible. Time will tell if I'm wrong but I don't think so can't wait for the season to start. 

On 6/23/2018 at 7:53 PM, Jack the lad said:

Apprehensive is the word I'd use at the moment.

Same here. The new guys could all be great and perform way better than the other safer option ie sign the journeymen that have every SPFL team on their CV together with several relegations. If the lower league English boys work then great, Alan Stubbs is a massive talent. I reckon we will know pretty early into the season. I'm still hoping for a few proven top performers to bolster the squad. It's looking too much like an experiment at present to me.

12 hours ago, Big Yards said:

I would be excited too if somebody plucked me from obscurity and all of a sudden I’m whisked off to Spain for a week and the prospect of playing at parkhead, ibrox, tynecastle, Easter rd etc Just hope this non league gamble pays off otherwise we could become the whipping boys here

You are right that it is a gamble in my eyes, but I trust the manager's judgement based on his transfer success at Hibs. I know he fared far worse at Rotherham, but everyone's allowed a mistake, and I think going there was his.

I also think the gamble will look like less of a gamble once the next few players are in the door to supplement these boys.

Plenty reason to be positive and optimistic about the season ahead. Still expect a lot of churn in the squad over the coming weeks.

Doubt the League Cup campaign will be very pretty, but as long as we are set for the first league game that's all that matters.

19 hours ago, Big Yards said:

I would be excited too if somebody plucked me from obscurity and all of a sudden I’m whisked off to Spain for a week and the prospect of playing at parkhead, ibrox, tynecastle, Easter rd etc Just hope this non league gamble pays off otherwise we could become the whipping boys here

I've got a feeling that Alan Stubbs might know a decent centre half when he sees one. I'm currently quite relaxed.

If we still had Jack Ross, who I’m sure would have done a lot of his business early, and if we hadn’t lost a few of the players who did well last season, then I would feel somewhat excited about a settled St Mirren testing themselves against bigger, uglier opponents. 

As much as I am putting my faith in Stubbsy, the fact remains, Stubbsy is new, as is Jacko, and erm, Riceo too. These new players are an unknown quantity, it’s not the St Mirren I recognised and indeed loved, last season.

I hope it all works out, but it really is hope at the moment. Something tells me we won’t be ‘meh’, it’ll either be surprisingly good, or bloody dreadful.

Time will tell. I’m in for the ride though, just hope it isn’t too bumpy. Ooh err missus, titter ye’ not, ooh matron... etc.

2 hours ago, div said:

Plenty reason to be positive and optimistic about the season ahead. Still expect a lot of churn in the squad over the coming weeks.

Doubt the League Cup campaign will be very pretty, but as long as we are set for the first league game that's all that matters.

The League Cup is one of only 2 things we can ever win. If we treat it as pre season friendlies every year and start the games with half a squad assembled then I just see that as foolish.

see no reason why we cant beat Queens Park , Spartans and Dumbarton , I think the amount of height and strength we have in the team should see us win those games , and hopefully a couple of new faces , and we should progress nicely . I'm pleased with how we,re progressing . Though in all fairness my opinion could change on one poor performance ( like it did after the Thistle game last season ) , its a funny old game.

1 hour ago, Big Yards said:

The League Cup is one of only 2 things we can ever win. If we treat it as pre season friendlies every year and start the games with half a squad assembled then I just see that as foolish.

How can it be half a squad most of last season's team is still in place plus additional ones. Think what Div is trying to say is a couple maybe even a few quality players are inbound but not for a couple of weeks. Would rather the manager took his time to get who he wants than just plucking the next player for the sake of it.