Paisley Pubs

I've noticed that the old Pillars,corner of New and Old Sneddon,has been getting renovated this week.

Now if only someone could do something with the other 2 empty corners.

New Street disnae meet Old Sneddon Street whistling.gif

Taxi Driver ????? bye1.gif

Any word on Paddy McLarkley's? Coming down to Paisley in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering. I've asked former bampot/forum winder upper and good Buddie bongovonbudvar the same question but even he doesnae know. Where do I go for a pint in a good Saints pub these days?

Any word on Paddy McLarkley's? Coming down to Paisley in a couple of weeks and I was just wondering. I've asked former bampot/forum winder upper and good Buddie bongovonbudvar the same question but even he doesnae know. Where do I go for a pint in a good Saints pub these days?

They were trying to get the contract off the brewery to re-open under alternative management, brewery being dicks apparently so still shut.

They were trying to get the contract off the brewery to re-open under alternative management, brewery being dicks apparently so still shut.

Cheers FS hope it works out for Fergus et al.

Is it the Bull Inn for all things St murn and Paisley then?

Edited by dani bongo

Cheers FS hope it works out for Fergus et al.

Is it the Bull Inn for all things St murn and Paisley then?

Fergus has chucked it, you can find him down The Old Swan of the odd evening apparently, some of his former staff too I gather...

Surely , you aren't talking about the Man of Sand. .punk.gif

I've noticed that the old Pillars,corner of New and Old Sneddon,has been getting renovated this week.

Now if only someone could do something with the other 2 empty corners.

Carnegie's - when that was the place eh? That whole area is deid noo to think the size it was and full wed- sunday.

Looks like Corkers has shut down.............again!!!

been shut a while I thought?

In langs tonight -sorry The Brewers Tap Same lay out - everything cleaned up , decorated etc and guid banter with the boys. The BEST bit - barstaff aren't allowed to swear at customers now - so obv you have to try make them - totally recommend :-)

Carnegie's - when that was the place eh? That whole area is deid noo to think the size it was and full wed- sunday.

been shut a while I thought?

In langs tonight -sorry The Brewers Tap Same lay out - everything cleaned up , decorated etc and guid banter with the boys. The BEST bit - barstaff aren't allowed to swear at customers now - so obv you have to try make them - totally recommend :-)

I was just reminiscing about Carnegies yesterday, while discussing how Paisley and it's pubs has went downhill since i started coming up in the 80's and 90's. It always seemed busy and lively in there. Enjoyed many a visit.

I was just reminiscing about Carnegies yesterday, while discussing how Paisley and it's pubs has went downhill since i started coming up in the 80's and 90's. It always seemed busy and lively in there. Enjoyed many a visit.

Carnegies was fab 3 floors full. Nowhere like it now sadly tho I think I'd be too auld for it anyway!

I had mates in the mid 1990's era, who would actually come down from Glasgow for a night out in Paisley, such was the variety and options available. I guess it started to go downhill, at the same time the 'stab city' headlines were gracing the national tabloids, when the curfew came into place, and do gooding nimbies like the Reverend Tom Cant decided to campaign to close down Shuttle Street and the like. Mind you, I don't suppose any of the blade toting wonder kids on every corner helped in that respect either.

Nowadays, you have things like the smoking ban, cheap supermarket beers and a general perception of Paisley night life being shite, not to mention a new younger generation who see the bright city lights as the only option, to contend with.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Corkers has shut down.............again!!!

Corkers set to reopen as "The Artesian Coffee and Craft Beer Bar".

As Wee Betty McGlumpher said round the back of Toledo one night....."that's a bit of a mouthful".

Edited by HSS

The last two times I have been in Paisley for the night without the Mrs picking me up, it's not been easy to get back home. Taxi rank is full of idiots all fighting to get into a cab trying to skip everyone or generally just winding people up. Local cab companies tell you to phone back in forty minutes etc, even when you do get one booked they end up not turning up. Last two occasions I had to get a taxi home from Paisley I've been waiting over two hours and when the bars shut, it's raining, it's not really enjoyable.

I don't blame the Taxi Drivers as I wouldn't want to be floating about at that time of night with the idiots that are out. But, there is little wonder why the pubs/nightclubs are dying a death because they are impossible to get home from. Unless my Mrs is picking me up, I'll be going up the road a lot earlier from now on.

The last two times I have been in Paisley for the night without the Mrs picking me up, it's not been easy to get back home. Taxi rank is full of idiots all fighting to get into a cab trying to skip everyone or generally just winding people up. Local cab companies tell you to phone back in forty minutes etc, even when you do get one booked they end up not turning up. Last two occasions I had to get a taxi home from Paisley I've been waiting over two hours and when the bars shut, it's raining, it's not really enjoyable.

I don't blame the Taxi Drivers as I wouldn't want to be floating about at that time of night with the idiots that are out. But, there is little wonder why the pubs/nightclubs are dying a death because they are impossible to get home from. Unless my Mrs is picking me up, I'll be going up the road a lot earlier from now on.

At's it! Up the Road!

So it's the taxis fault loads of pubs are closing down!!!Maybe they'd not bother opening at all if we never drove their customers to drink.

Seriously tho Tam.......If you're out in the Town Centre looking for a taxi.......walk over to the Watermill Hotel and you "should" get one a lot quicker.It's a different zone from the Town and a hell of a lot quieter.

So it's the taxis fault loads of pubs are closing down!!!Maybe they'd not bother opening at all if we never drove their customers to drink.

Seriously tho Tam.......If you're out in the Town Centre looking for a taxi.......walk over to the Watermill Hotel and you "should" get one a lot quicker.It's a different zone from the Town and a hell of a lot quieter.

Tried that,no difference

Not that many taxis in the area it seems

My mate said a lot go to Glasgow for the custom better money to be made

Tried that,no difference

Not that many taxis in the area it seems

My mate said a lot go to Glasgow for the custom better money to be made

A lot of guys do only work The City but I don't see the point in it.A hire from City to Paisley/Renfrew etc and then they run back to City empty.In the time they've done that I can do at least 6 local jobs,maybe more,with no "empty miles".

Not blaming the Taxi's at all mate. I respect anyone that goes out and has to put up with some of the idiots floating about. Just pointing out that if people are struggling to get home then people are not going to bother. The past two times I've been out and the Mrs has been working or been away so I've not been able to get her to come and get me, it's been a nightmare, if it wasn't for her I'd hardly bother with Paisley on a Saturday night. (If it wasn't for her I wouldn't need the drink anyway!)

I stood at RBS for about 2 hours the first time and Taxi driver took pity on me as he had drove passed me about 5 times! Gave him a score because I was that desperate to get back up the road. On Saturday there, just by chance noticed a taxi driver on Facebook, this was about 4.45am and he duly came and picked me up. Another score duly paid as well lol. At that point I couldn't even get Taxi to book me one because of how busy they were.

What I would say when it's busy at the Taxi Rank they should have Police or someone there. It was disgusting to see folk fighting over taxis, groups of people pushing people who were there by themselves out the way and stealing the taxi etc. Paisley's a shitehole. whistling.gif

The rank has always been a nightmare. Years ago they had a guy "controlling" it but that has long since passed. The police used to sit and watch the fights, from the camera in Central Road, and then, after it was all over and the culprits away, they would casually send a car round to lift the poor bugger who got the kicking. Then, during the week, you would see in the PDE that they were looking for witnesses for a serious assault at the rank.

^^^^^^ true ^^^^^^