Paisley Pubs

1 hour ago, melmac said:

Are the Simply Food stores not just a franchise though?

Some might be, but bigger ones like at the Mearns centre certainly aren't.

We have 914 UK stores, including 222 owned and 349 franchise Simply Food

Edited by FTOF

On 14 February 2017 at 10:35 PM, Callum Gilhooley said:

There was also a plan put forward to promote Paisley as a clearance warehouse type town , in much the same way that Marks store is. Surely that would have some attraction ?  Next & Marks  have clearance outlets at The Forge & Irvine so why not Paisley ?

The town is just a shadow of what is was say 30yrs ago , when it was still a bustling town . .

It is sad now . .

l know all high streets are on the decline but one thing they could do is stretch the free parking beyond the weekend as it is at present. I still wonder where all the Buddies went. I blame t'internet. .

Guest TPAFKATS
Has the Copper Coin reopened? It took me by surprise as I passed by.

Thought it was gone for good and that Jaybees would be next.

Not sure, I'll have a look next time I'm out that way.
Did you get a fright [emoji3]

On 11/01/2017 at 1:34 PM, melmac said:

Whilst not pub related per se, more shop related - they should really just demolish the piazza and the car park; let the shops go elsewhere and get the river opened up (and cleaned).

I was just going to say that until I read your post. The river is a unique feature, not many towns have one running through the centre. I think open up the river and pedestrianize both sides with terraced bars, cafes, restaurants, specialty shops. The river can be dredged, no reason why water taxis similar to Amsterdam cannot run between Paisley and Glasgow. In fact to and from anywhere on the Clyde. If Paisley really wants to attract more people, it has to offer something really unique. The river holds the key.

9 minutes ago, TorontoSaint said:

I was just going to say that until I read your post. The river is a unique feature, not many towns have one running through the centre. I think open up the river and pedestrianize both sides with terraced bars, cafes, restaurants, specialty shops. The river can be dredged, no reason why water taxis similar to Amsterdam cannot run between Paisley and Glasgow. In fact to and from anywhere on the Clyde. If Paisley really wants to attract more people, it has to offer something really unique. The river holds the key.

As long as we dredge it deep enough to dispose of the Jakies & Junkies that populate the high street. 

59 minutes ago, TorontoSaint said:

I'm buying a boat.

10 hours ago, TorontoSaint said:

no reason why water taxis similar to Amsterdam cannot run between Paisley and Glasgow. In fact to and from anywhere on the Clyde. If Paisley really wants to attract more people, it has to offer something really unique. The river holds the key.

Too slow.  It's only 9 or 10 minutes by train  currently, centre to centre, with bus and subway connections all meshed.

the river couldn't compete.

the first US troops to be landed in Europe in WWII came into Paisley Harbour.

Clark Gable was one.

i think he volunteered on the off-chance of meeting my Maw...

6 hours ago, antrin said:

Too slow.  It's only 9 or 10 minutes by train  currently, centre to centre, with bus and subway connections all meshed.

the river couldn't compete.

the first US troops to be landed in Europe in WWII came into Paisley Harbour.

Clark Gable was one.

i think he volunteered on the off-chance of meeting my Maw...

It's got absolutely nothing to do with speed, but from a marketing perspective, it has everything to do with the experience.

24 minutes ago, TorontoSaint said:

It's got absolutely nothing to do with speed, but from a marketing perspective, it has everything to do with the experience.

I beg to differ and believe that the speed and efficiency of the service is important, though I admire your optimism.

Everything comes down to economics.  99% of the potential market would be Buddies and Weegies. they only want to get from a-b.

It's NEVER going to be a scenic trip, so you can also discount tourists.  They will put up with a wheech round The Abbey, Toon Hall, Coats Memorial and lots of the other architecture - a wee bit about Tannahill and the Bruce, and a 10 minute lecture on St Mirren... but they would prefer the Highlands, lochs, glens and islands.

On 14/02/2017 at 10:18 PM, TPAFKATS said:

The only retail that might work is small independent units, however the cooncil seem to believe that they can attract large retailers.
I recall a few years ago the cooncil were looking at a cafe culture quarter for the uni end of the high street. Can't remember if it was the current labour bawbags or previous Snp ones.

To be fair there are at least three cafe's there. Cardosis, Tata bella and Malatso. Think there's an other one but can't remember 

19 hours ago, antrin said:

I beg to differ and believe that the speed and efficiency of the service is important, though I admire your optimism.

Everything comes down to economics.  99% of the potential market would be Buddies and Weegies. they only want to get from a-b.

It's NEVER going to be a scenic trip, so you can also discount tourists.  They will put up with a wheech round The Abbey, Toon Hall, Coats Memorial and lots of the other architecture - a wee bit about Tannahill and the Bruce, and a 10 minute lecture on St Mirren... but they would prefer the Highlands, lochs, glens and islands.

Not sure you're right. The fact is that lots of tourists come into Glasgow Airport and just move on. Most of them are jet lagged and wouldn't mind a wee local stop for one night. What Paisley needs to offer is proper facilities and some interesting things to do. The Abbey, Coats memorial and the museum (proposed weavers centre) takes care on some of that, but generally eating out and hotels are pretty average. The best place to eat in the town is a Chip shop. And the best hotel has only about 8 rooms.  Even if you do stay over at one of the airport hotels and ask  reception if there's anywhere nice to go in Paisley what is the honest answer?  

"No sir, but it's got great potential."

"How do I get there?" 

"Jump on the bus and just make sure you don't stop at Shotroods."

There are good things about the town but we are definitely not making the most of it. and frankly the town centre is an embarrassment.

I'd also like to say that this shouldn't just be about tourists but also about what's provided for residents. 

Edited by insaintee

Guest TPAFKATS
To be fair there are at least three cafe's there. Cardosis, Tata bella and Malatso. Think there's an other one but can't remember 

Yeah and with the aroma from some of the 'cigarettes' passers by smoke, you could sit outside Malatso and think you were in Amsterdam.

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

Not sure you're right. The fact is that lots of tourists come into Glasgow Airport and just move on. Most of them are jet lagged and wouldn't mind a wee local stop for one night. What Paisley needs to offer is proper facilities and some interesting things to do. The Abbey, Coats memorial and the museum (proposed weavers centre) takes care on some of that, but generally eating out and hotels are pretty average. The best place to eat in the town is a Chip shop. And the best hotel has only about 8 rooms.  Even if you do stay over at one of the airport hotels and ask  reception if there's anywhere nice to go in Paisley what is the honest answer?  

"No sir, but it's got great potential."

"How do I get there?" 

"Jump on the bus and just make sure you don't stop at Shotroods."

There are good things about the town but we are definitely not making the most of it. and frankly the town centre is an embarrassment.

I'd also like to say that this shouldn't just be about tourists but also about what's provided for residents. 

You're no sure I'm right, then you go on to substantiate my comments with your own.  Sigh...

i like the look of Paisley, with minor equivocations. I've taken hunners of tourists (kiwi, Oz, US and (FYI Toronto Saint) Canadians) around the town. They seemed to enjoy my enthusiasm and info about the place.

our itinerary no longer visits Paisley (it didn't previously but I could squeeze it in...) as what sells about Scotland to outsiders is the stuff mentioned above. We head there more directly.

and yet all my punters STILL leave Scotland with great knowledge about Paisley and its institutions.  Somehow...

some have said they'll stop over next time they arrive at our airport.  Some have even stayed there overnight, as they were leaving from our airport and I could point them towards ashtree house instead of bunking in Glasgow.

(and I've just spent a couple of months designing/building another tour focusing on NC500 and the western isles - starting 2018).

i don't doubt there will be 'an interest in Paisley that should be encouraged

My above post was basically about realising the practicality and economic hurdles confronting a (not to be otherwise denigrated) idea of dredging the Cart and instituting a boat service between Paisley and the city.

Edited by antrin