Paisley Pubs

On 22 February 2017 at 10:10 PM, TorontoSaint said:

I was just going to say that until I read your post. The river is a unique feature, not many towns have one running through the centre. I think open up the river and pedestrianize both sides with terraced bars, cafes, restaurants, specialty shops. The river can be dredged, no reason why water taxis similar to Amsterdam cannot run between Paisley and Glasgow. In fact to and from anywhere on the Clyde. If Paisley really wants to attract more people, it has to offer something really unique. The river holds the key.

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

Love the enthusiasm, not like you. emoji106.png

Ps regarding the dredging. Sorry mate there's no way it would be possible and any where near economical from Weir Street upriver. (The clue is in the street name) emoji6.png

I'm always enthusiastic and positive about Paisley, the Universe and life. :P

ps. Regarding the dredging. You should read the threid, afore piling in.

i was responding to the above post... From another ex-pat Buddie, who is enthusiastic about Paisley.

43 minutes ago, antrin said:

I'm always enthusiastic and positive about Paisley, the Universe and life. :P

ps. Regarding the dredging. You should read the threid, afore piling in.

i was responding to the above post... From another ex-pat Buddie, who is enthusiastic about Paisley.

Well , at least we know you`re not an alias for Elvis or Oaksoft :thumbs2

The problem with boat idea is firstly dredging is expensive, currently we can't afford it. You could build a light rail or use a hovercraft but the Cart floods fairly frequently and in full flow is not really navigable. Also the route could realistically only go as far as the Piazza, I don't think I'd like to sail under the piazza. 

However there is no reason why there should not be a cycle route and walk way along the cart. It's definitely an under used resource 

6 minutes ago, insaintee said:

The problem with boat idea is firstly dredging is expensive, currently we can't afford it. You could build a light rail or use a hovercraft but the Cart floods fairly frequently and in full flow is not really navigable. Also the route could realistically only go as far as the Piazza, I don't think I'd like to sail under the piazza. 

However there is no reason why there should not be a cycle route and walk way along the cart. It's definitely an under used resource 

I cant think where it floods Bud .

Wont be a problem when we pull the monstrosity down !! :angry:

25 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

The thoughts whilst all in hindsight are excellent for what the river banks / sides could or should have been, are to far out of a realistic budget currently.

Likewise with the use of hovercraft would be too loud for the riverside cafe culture I'm envisioning that others would have liked.

My ideal vision of the river south of the railway arch would have been for cafe, restaurants, hotels and flats on either side. With a Single Thames barrier construction just upriver of the Carlisle Bridge that could have been used during the summer drier months to maintain a visually pleasent amount of water in it.

When Rangers went into administration, surely one of the assets that was never used or sold off must still be available for sale (cheap!)? The legendary Hoverpitch.

It could perhaps be divided into more manageable river-sized, sub-sonic pieces and deployed as a ferry?

Riverside cafes, flats and restaurants beside a visually pleasant waterside would be infested by midges, I suggest, enthusiastically.  :)

• 1 month later...

The Turf has been totally renovated and will be open soon as..........

Mr Bathrooms!!!!At least they'll have plenty of taps.

Falcon House,the old Customs HQ on Inchinnan Rd,has a planning application in to turn into a Hotel.

Apologies in advance for asking a question with an obvious answer - but I'm not in the west central/west end of Paisley much.

Going through by bus for the first time in a few years, I noticed the big 'Hamish's House' pub. The pub sign looks to be same sign as the old pub under Gilmour Street.

Has it the same owners as my old pre-game/post game stomping ground?

If so, have any regulars migrated with it? 

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

Apologies in advance for asking a question with an obvious answer - but I'm not in the west central/west end of Paisley much.

Going through by bus for the first time in a few years, I noticed the big 'Hamish's House' pub. The pub sign looks to be same sign as the old pub under Gilmour Street.

Has it the same owners as my old pre-game/post game stomping ground?

If so, have any regulars migrated with it? 

Yes it's the same owners.I think all the 2 for 1 menu chasers may have followed.

10 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

The last couple of months I've visited a few local restaurants/pubs for something to eat in the evening. Jam Jar, Rebecca's, The Little Steakhouse, Kilty Kilty and Hamish's Hoose. Ranging from good to excellent. Will be trying Cardosis, Saporittos, Genovas in the coming weeks and know I'll not be disappointed.
Paisley has some excellent food establishments. emoji3.png

I'm not a fan of HH but love all the others.

Gilmour St Station next on the mural list........

http://www.paisleyfirst.com/paisley-gilmour-street-railway-station-artworks-project/

Also........

Danny and Margaret from The Wee Howff are retiring after nearly 30 years in the pub.One of the girls who works there just now is taking over,don't think there'll be many changes.

On Saturday, April 08, 2017 at 2:23 PM, HSS said:

Falcon House,the old Customs HQ on Inchinnan Rd,has a planning application in to turn into a Hotel.

The Gypsies have moved onto the waste ground at Falcon House.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, HSS said:

Gilmour St Station next on the mural list........

http://www.paisleyfirst.com/paisley-gilmour-street-railway-station-artworks-project/

Also........

Danny and Margaret from The Wee Howff are retiring after nearly 30 years in the pub.One of the girls who works there just now is taking over,don't think there'll be many changes.

Whole shop has been stripped out and getting refurbed.

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 0:09 AM, FS said:

Whole shop has been stripped out and getting refurbed.

Was only meant to be a quick makeover until they took out some seating and found the place was riddled with damp.Had to strip the whole lot back to the bare walls.

Due to reopen tomorrow.:guinness