Paisley Pubs

On 7/11/2017 at 0:01 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

Sorry Buddie , the main reason the letters caught my attention was wanting to know what the letters stood for more than anything . A need to know basis. .

on the door of the building where I got my school uniform had the letters CWSS which I got told was Co-op warehouse Society Scotland . .

It felt a hit like the Co owned Scotland back then , certainly they seemed omni-present at least . .

SCWS-Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society

Speaking of co-ops, I see the former Wellmeadow co-op (circa 1984) has been demolished, leaving a huge crater like hole in it's place. Used to work the Friday shelf stacking nightshift in there whilst at school & college. Remember doing a backshift with the radio playing through the customer PA system, the mic button held in 'open' position with a large tin of beans normally, as the news of the Lockerbie incident began to filter through as a bizarre series of updating news flashes.

2 minutes ago, FS said:

Speaking of co-ops, I see the former Wellmeadow co-op (circa 1984) has been demolished, leaving a huge crater like hole in it's place. Used to work the Friday shelf stacking nightshift in there whilst at school & college. Remember doing a backshift with the radio playing through the customer PA system, the mic button held in 'open' position with a large tin of beans normally, as the news of the Lockerbie incident began to filter through as a bizarre series of updating news flashes.

Oh feck.

I was wondering what that space was the other week, when I passed.

On 5 July 2017 at 4:52 AM, HSS said:

Farmfoods closing down.:wacko:

On 13 July 2017 at 10:21 AM, saintnextlifetime said:

You do realise that , we are now miles off topic with regard to all this stuff about the Co' . I'm just surprised that no one has started a thread about the Co op , Christ , there is something shull could do. .^_^

Aye - to get back on topic...

Seriously, HSS - have you heard anymore about Farmfoods shutting?  Nearly a fortnight, now....

a cousin was in Farmfoods today and knew nothing about it. (And I've googled but found nowt...)

13 minutes ago, antrin said:

Aye - to get back on topic...

Seriously, HSS - have you heard anymore about Farmfoods shutting?  Nearly a fortnight, now....

a cousin was in Farmfoods today and knew nothing about it. (And I've googled but found nowt...)

It was an irate punter that told me but I've not heard anything else mate.There is a For Lease board up on the shop tho.

37 minutes ago, HSS said:

It was an irate punter that told me but I've not heard anything else mate.There is a For Lease board up on the shop tho.

I enquired about it , seems the staff are saying it's not closing , but there's a stand off going on with other company(s) who use the same building about who can use certain doors , parking etc? The staff say that the "closing" stories are mischief making by those neighbours. Who's next door and who's upstairs ?

2 hours ago, billyg said:

I enquired about it , seems the staff are saying it's not closing , but there's a stand off going on with other company(s) who use the same building about who can use certain doors , parking etc? The staff say that the "closing" stories are mischief making by those neighbours. Who's next door and who's upstairs ?

There's definitely a board on the shop Billy,you must have seen it.

Thanks, John, Billy...

i saw that the Rutherglen Farmfoods shut last September cos their lease in the town's shopping units ran out.

hope that disnae happen in Causeyside cos the cousin lives in the flats behind the Fire Station and uses its Wee Happy Bus to be able to go door to door...   It works for him...

Edited by antrin

The old Suburbia in Shuttle St has opened again.Now called The Lane and it's seemingly as it was........apart from the smell of paint.

Also Saporito at the Sneddon has had a lick of paint outside and changed it's name.Cannie mind the new name but it begins with a Z....

7 hours ago, HSS said:

The old Suburbia in Shuttle St has opened again.Now called The Lane and it's seemingly as it was........apart from the smell of paint.

Also Saporito at the Sneddon has had a lick of paint outside and changed it's name.Cannie mind the new name but it begins with a Z....

See the Saparito cafes on Gauze St and St James St have adopted new names too. Think it was something like Blanco y Noir or some other pseudo continental attempt at 'white and black'.

27 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I heard the two business partners had split and the name change, of the saporitos cafe at least, was as a result of this?

Yeah mate,they split up a while back.

On 7/18/2017 at 0:29 AM, billyg said:

What would we have eaten on the night shift if there was no Farmfoods?