Paisley Pubs

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Slartibartfast said:

This photo, which I recognise now having seen it, shows of vertically but I still seem to remember it saying PCMS across the top, in white, where you can see "Ltd" in the picture.

https://m.facebook.com/TheOnlyWayIsPaisleysPast/photos/a.530151403677313.139736.530143157011471/1368394033186375/?type=3

That's not the signage I'm meaning, it was on the next corner up at Forbes Place/Causeyside St above the current coffee shop entrance. My memory was of three large neon letters within large circular neon fixtures that lit up one at a time then stayed on all together briefly before repeating the cycle. As mentioned already I think it said C.W.S which would apply to their foodstore where Farmfoods is, their supermarkets came under the auspices of the Co-operative Wholesale Society then. One of the many different facets and divisions of what is now known simply as 'The Co-op'.

4 minutes ago, FS said:

That's not the signage I'm meaning, it was on the next corner up at Forbes Place/Causeyside St above the current coffee shop entrance. My memory was of three large neon letters within large circular neon fixtures that lit up one at a time then stayed on all together briefly before repeating the cycle. As mentioned already I think it said C.W.S which would apply to their foodstore where Farmfoods is, their supermarkets came under the auspices of the Co-operative Wholesale Society then. One of the many different facets and divisions of what is now known simply as 'The Co-op'.

Seems to me that this photo is of the Forbes Place/Causeyside Street corner!

3 minutes ago, HSS said:

An application is in to turn the old Bar Point into an Italian restaurant.

The Bar Point was a decent pub to drop into - and one of the few in town back then with a beer garden, if memory serves me right (I'm talking the best part of 30 years ago:o!).

We seldom had more than a couple in there before gravitating back to the Bull or Wee Howff, right enough.

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

No, it's of the Causeyside St/Causeyside St corner.

Correct, Causeyside St signage can be seen today and then on the Clydesdale Bank building facing Dunn Square.

On 11/07/2017 at 0:01 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

Sorry Buddie , the main reason the letters caught my attention was wanting to know what the letters stood for more than anything . A need to know basis. .

on the door of the building where I got my school uniform had the letters CWSS which I got told was Co-op warehouse Society Scotland . .

It felt a hit like the Co owned Scotland back then , certainly they seemed omni-present at least . .

The letters PCMS, on the corner at Dunn Square above what is now Countrywide estate agents, stood for Paisley Co-operative Manufacturing Society.

On 06/07/2017 at 2:32 PM, RickMcD said:

Pretty sure it was P C M S. Paisley Cooperative Manufacturing Society.

2 hours ago, buddiecat said:

The letters PCMS, on the corner at Dunn Square above what is now Countrywide estate agents, stood for Paisley Co-operative Manufacturing Society.

I know , l know . .

Thought I better update you before bluto came along. .

9 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I know , l know . .

Thought I better update you before bluto came along. .

He's like sevco - a deid entity.  :)

Though he recently saw a pic of a CND march in the 60/70s which he almost linked to this thread so ye could all have a clear sighting of the signage

Edited by antrin

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

He's like sevco - a deid entity.  :)

Though he recently saw a pic of a CND march in the 60/70s which he almost linked to this thread so ye could all have a clear sighting of the signage

You do realise that , we are now miles off topic with regard to all this stuff about the Co' . I'm just surprised that no one has started a thread about the Co op , Christ , there is something shull could do. .^_^

13 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

You do realise that , we are now miles off topic with regard to all this stuff about the Co' . I'm just surprised that no one has started a thread about the Co op , Christ , there is something shull could do. .^_^

And one about Domus in the Piazza , and one about Gilt edged suits , and one about Yankee mags, etc etc.

God , theres enough material there to see him break the 100000 post mark !!

59 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

And one about Domus in the Piazza , and one about Gilt edged suits , and one about Yankee mags, etc etc.

God , theres enough material there to see him break the 100000 post mark !!

Don't forget Cowans Menswear, that was only mentioned briefly once by Sandman , loads of material there still . .

" which side do you dress to , sir? "