Murray Street's gone a bit quiet after that dressing down.
For what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly with FS on this.
Around the time of France 98, I got to a position where I had the means to follow Scotland (something I'd always wanted to do but could never afford). I went to the World Cup and then a couple of the qualifiers for Euro 2000 and was astonished by the quality of the Scotland support and humbled by the reception we received from locals.
Between 2000 and 2011 I went to every competitive Scotland away game and as many friendlies as my wallet/Missus would allow.
As you can imagine that period covered:-
The turgid late Broon era
The disastrous Berti era
The steady the ship Smith era
The hod on a minute are we good again McLeish era
The don't be daft naw we urnae Burley era; and
The get yersel tae phuk ya arrogant specky twat Levein era
So whilst this period of time never captured the magic of the 70s/80s, by recent standards it covered a pretty mixed bag in terms of team performance. The notion that I went just for the party is utter nonsense and in my opinion 95% of the Tartan Army would agree with that. I didn't really understand Murray Street's point in relation to that. If we only followed a successful team, St. Mirren Park would be empty every week.
As for behaviour of the TA, lets use me as an example. On my many trips I have been....
Drunk and behaving well
Drunk and behaving like a bit of a tit
I'd like to think that for the majority of the time I was firmly ensconsed in category 2. Again in my experience, so have 95% of the TA. Being drunk does not = being a fanny. Being a fanny = being a fanny.
From time to time you will witness these fannies on TA trips and it's fair to say, the bigger the crowd, the more fannies there's likely to be. In exactly the same way, if our beloved buddies ever qualify for Europe again, are people (Murray Street) seriously trying to suggest that there won't be any fannies present in our away support. Jimmy H will be there for sure.
I gave up in 2011 through mental health issues. I basically didn't think it was mentally healthy that I wanted to murder Craig Levein after THAT game in Prague. If truth be told i think I was getting a wee bit old for it too.
But I still watch every Scotland game on telly, i still desperately want them to win and in the context of this thread, I'm still immensely proud of 95% of what I experienced on away trips. The other 5% is not to be discussed.
PS - Contrary to popular belief "Jimmy Hats" are very rarely seen on away trips. Glengarrys wi big stupit feathers aye, but Jimmy Hats seems to predominantly be the preserve of the home crowd.