I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

The Carpenters are an underrated band. It amazes me that their back catalogue has not been plundered like Abba and the Bee Gees.

People seem inclined not to look past their version of Close To You, (which was radically different from the original by Burt Bacharach) but most of Richard's arrangements were sharp and punchy, not much flab on the average Carprnters record. Karen's voice was rich and seductive and not at all what you would expect a from a girl barely out of her teens!

Many of the songs contain hidden gems like the guitar solo on Goodbye To Love which is listed on many guitar web sites as one of the best guitar solos in popular music.

Any music lover's collection would be enhanced by the addition of a Carpenters Greatest Hits compilation: in the unlikely circumstances that it was missing. :P

The Carpenters are an underrated band. It amazes me that their back catalogue has not been plundered like Abba and the Bee Gees.

People seem inclined not to look past their version of Close To You, (which was radically different from the original by Burt Bacharach) but most of Richard's arrangements were sharp and punchy, not much flab on the average Carprnters record. Karen's voice was rich and seductive and not at all what you would expect a from a girl barely out of her teens!

Many of the songs contain hidden gems like the guitar solo on Goodbye To Love which is listed on many guitar web sites as one of the best guitar solos in popular music.

Any music lover's collection would be enhanced by the addition of a Carpenters Greatest Hits compilation: in the unlikely circumstances that it was missing. :P

221602[/snapback]

superb post bud :D:D:clapping:clapping

There's one or two people on here who have been over-indulging on the Christmas sherry...

:rolleyes:

221628[/snapback]

What you got back home, little Simon, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear The Carpenters! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited! :lol:

Sensational tune, McB.  And as for the video....  :(  :happyclapper

221829[/snapback]

Watched the video again today. Auld Johnny certainly saw through all of the transient pish o' the world as he life drew to a close.

In a strange mood now- Leonard Cohen "First we take Manhattan"