I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

RE: Neil Peart and Rush.

The Unions of the pre-Thatcher era have developed a stereotyped image of being workshy, standing back with hands in pockets. Stereotype it may be but, unfortunately, stereotypes are based in at least a little truth and it can’t be denied Neil Peart would have witnessed such incidences when living in London in his pre-Rush days selling posters on street corners trying to make ends meet. Little wonder, then, that an individual and objectivist approach would be adopted by the man.

Acknowledging that we are indeed responsible for our own actions enforces individualism by definition. It is therefore arguable that using this mind set one then moulds their own actions with the thoughts of cause and effect hence giving consideration to others.

Employing such a mind process is central to many Peart lyrical themes and 2112 is as scathing an attack on imposed religion enforcing all freedom of thought to be eradicated as one may find.

Your argument is an interesting one, St. Sid, and not without its merits. Ultimately this coincides exactly with how it should be with Neil Peart. Would one, who advocates being such an individual, be happy with fans who, sheep-like, agree with absolutely everything he commits to voice or would he prefer that fans give his philosophies due consideration and accept or discard them as they see fit?

Neil Peart was no so much about freedom of choice but freedom to abuse. The free will song was in fact all about the strong oaks rights being more important than the maples - representing the Canadian Welfare State. Peart was in fact worse than Thatcher.

Firstly Salman Rushdie is a disgrace and not a million miles away from Peart in outlook. The article on this isue was published by a non-muslim newspaper with clear malice in its intent. It is a wee bit like looking in the Daily Telegraph for a balanced view on the Palestinian situation. :rolleyes:

The difference with Cat Stevens or Yusuf is that he had already spent years supporting worthy causes throughout the world and more importantly addressed the misinformation of a malicious journalist immediately and consistently - whereas Peart and RUSH have maintained their right wing scumbaggery. :)

Can we agree that The Rushdie Affair was not Cat's greatest moment?

"Cat had already spent years supporting worthy causes throughout the world" - that's one way to describe going into Tax Exile! :lol:

Like Bongo Mr. Banana I would not deny the right wing/libertarian element in Peart's lyrics however he has repudiated the less savoury ideas of his religeous fundamentalist co-travellers.

Neil Peart was no so much about freedom of choice but freedom to abuse. The free will song was in fact all about the strong oaks rights being more important than the maples - representing the Canadian Welfare State. Peart was in fact worse than Thatcher.

Wrong song! You're getting it confused with The Trees. It's (The Trees) about the perils of enforced egalitarianism, a common theme in SF dating back to Huxley's Brave New World at least.

Free Will is new age jargon - meaningless.

Currently listening to a Trance remix of Wish You Were Here.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Wrong song! You're getting it confused with The Trees. It's (The Trees) about the perils of enforced egalitarianism, a common theme in SF dating back to Huxley's Brave New World at least.

Er...a 'hink he was takin' the piss. Unless you're playing along and YOU'RE takin' the piss. :blink:

Er...a 'hink he was takin' the piss. Unless you're playing along and YOU'RE takin' the piss. :blink:

No I'm just a simple dude. I thought Sid was referring to the particular song Freewill.

I'd have to look at the lyrics to The Trees but I don't recall them advocating the abolition of The Welfare State, as I said I see it more as an allegory along the lines of Brave New World.

Can we agree that The Rushdie Affair was not Cat's greatest moment?

From memory, the clown was asked by a journailst if he would personally attempt to carry out the fatwa, his reply was to the effect of "no, I'd just make phone calls to a few people"

<_<

Actually the funniest bit about the Rushdie affair was Salman, who wrote before it of Mrs Torture and her secret police running behind the skirts of the self same secret polis.

Like Bongo Mr. Banana I would not deny the right wing/libertarian element in Peart's lyrics however he has repudiated the less savoury ideas of his religeous fundamentalist co-travellers.

I find it hard to believe BvB could be Mr Banana, Bud. Hard to credit he'd come out with this bollox:

The Unions of the pre-Thatcher era have developed a stereotyped image of being workshy, standing back with hands in pockets. Stereotype it may be but, unfortunately, stereotypes are based in at least a little truth and it can’t be denied Neil Peart would have witnessed such incidences when living in London in his pre-Rush days selling posters on street corners trying to make ends meet.
<_<

I find it hard to believe BvB could be Mr Banana, Bud. Hard to credit he'd come out with this bollox:

<_<

That bit was copy and paste Ching :lol:

BtB is right though, I was on about "the trees" pish. Here's part of the lyric:

So the maples formed a union

And demanded equal rights

The oaks are just too greedy

We will make them give us light

Now there's no more oak oppression

For they passed a noble law

And the trees are all kept equal

By hatchet, axe, and saw

Historically the USA had a better welfare state, however it was the unionisation of Canada that saw the roles reversed. Peart would like to see the support system removed and the majority left at the mercy of the minority again. Not a very nice man at all. :(

Listening to La Villa Strangiato by Rush, a track about and in support of the willing repression of freedom of speech symbolised by the absence of lyrics.

Editted to say:- On the other hand mibbe it's just an instrumental.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Gloria was a bit dodgy too and of course robbed the world of Marc Bolan, another vastly over-rated dead person. It was of course an Oak tree and not a maple tree that the car hit.

Edited by ST SID