I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

I’m a happy man - just got the new remastered ‘The Song Remains the Same’ CD by Led Zeppelin. You know how we all (I assume) have an album that reminds us of a very specific time and place in our lives? Well, this is one of two albums for me. The other is the wonderful ‘Dare’ by The Human League. ‘The Song Remains the Same’ takes me back to the days when I was a younger chap than today, discovering rock music, bands, concerts, and the Glasgow Apollo. Led Zeppelin were almost mythical to a young rock fan like me. I never thought I’d get to see them live (but did at Knebworth in 1979), and, with a couple of mates in tow, to see the movie of the same name, it involved late night showings in seedy theatres normally showing blue movies. We sat transfixed. The live album and initial CD releases were frankly, rubbish. Dreadful sound quality, many songs cut from the Madison Square Garden shows, and the tracks that were used sequenced out of order that the band performed them. The original Jimmy Page approved studio album remasters were superb, but this album never received a proper remaster treatment, until now. The new release isn’t just an improvement, a better offering - it is transformative. Stunning. The missing tracks have been re-instated, the running order re-done. The mix is powerful, clear, warm, absolutely bloody wonderful. ‘No Quarter’ is spine-tingling.

Magic.

Edited by pozbaird