I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

Santaponsa,

Regarding the new Maiden album, I kinda think at times less is often better. Take Rush - now most of their classic albums from the late '70's come in at about 40 minutes. Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden 8 Tracks - 40 minutes Classic Album and 30 minutes shorter than the new one. I find a lot of albums where the music is stretched out to 60 minutes drag.

Case in point Be Here Now by Oasis, now when I heard it for the first time I said that the songs were all too long and the album would have sounded better if all the songs had been trimmed down by one minute or so, and copped a lot of flak from Oasis fans at the time. Nowadays Noel agrees with me - says he was doing to much cocaine and couldn't take the decisions on how to edit the songs.

Maybe I just don't have the mental stamina these days but I find myself wary of albums like the new Maiden one and Stadium Arcadium by The Red Hot etc (2 CD's each about an hour long).

Ach, I'm off to find my copy of Tales of Topographic Oceans. :)

Santaponsa,

Regarding the new Maiden album, I kinda think at times less is often better. Take Rush - now most of their classic albums from the late '70's come in at about 40 minutes. Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden 8 Tracks - 40 minutes Classic Album and 30 minutes shorter than the new one. I find a lot of albums where the music is stretched out to 60 minutes drag.

Case in point Be Here Now by Oasis, now when I heard it for the first time I said that the songs were all too long and the album would have sounded better if all the songs had been trimmed down by one minute or so, and copped a lot of flak from Oasis fans at the time. Nowadays Noel agrees with me - says he was doing to much cocaine and couldn't take the decisions on how to edit the songs.

Maybe I just don't have the mental stamina these days but I find myself wary of albums like the new Maiden one and Stadium Arcadium by The Red Hot etc (2 CD's each about an hour long).

If a song is long and there is little or no repetition then there is no problem. It will only drag if the same parts are played over and over again. This isn't the case with the new Maiden album, or any Maiden album for that matter. A long song won't drag if it's a good long song.

Maiden have a history of long songs right back to the start and Steve Harris has said himself of the new album that if it feels natural for the song to be long then it will be long. The long songs don't drag and the longest song on the album "For The Greater Good Of God" is the best on the album.

Santaponsa,

THE LAST TWO ALBUMS, SOUND VERY SIMULAR,

Edited by santaponsasaint

If a song is long and there is little or no repetition then there is no problem. It will only drag if the same parts are played over and over again. This isn't the case with the new Maiden album, or any Maiden album for that matter. A long song won't drag if it's a good long song.

Maiden have a history of long songs right back to the start and Steve Harris has said himself of the new album that if it feels natural for the song to be long then it will be long. The long songs don't drag and the longest song on the album "For The Greater Good Of God" is the best on the album.

See now there's the point Brave New World, Maiden's last but one (I think) studio album was 10 songs and 65 minutes and I don't think I ever listened to the entire CD in one go. I'm lazy and I like to listen to an album all the way through and I just couldn't with that one.

The other way I like to listen to music is to put 3 CD's on random select, maybe I should try Brave New World that way - perhaps with something ambient like Tangerine Dream to balance it out.

I did MP3 some stuff but being lazy I gave up after about 20 CD's. :unsure: