I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

i like new order, but joy division are far superior in every department in my opinion.

248017[/snapback]

I sometimes think that but on the whole I don’t think you can compare like for like. As New Order evolved they became far removed from Joy Division. Listen to a song like Round & Round or even something a bit less electronic like Regret then stick on something like 24 Hours or Atmosphere or She’s Lost Control and they’re two distinct bands.

More often than not I can’t split the two as to who I like best but I think JD were more consistent. Two great bands, though.

Nowhere near as good as 'Big'

:wink:

247268[/snapback]

My big brother got a compilation album feckin’ years ago with that on it. The album was called Happy Daze and is one of the best compilations I’ve ever heard. The tracklist is below, for all those interested, and there’s some real belters on it. It was the first time I’d heard some of these bands and it was never out the CD player for about six months solid.

1. Loaded - Primal Scream

2. Real, Real, Real - Jesus Jones

3. Come Home - James

4. Big - New FADs

5. Hippychick - Soho

6. Velouria - The Pixies

7. Taste - Ride

8. She Comes in the Fall – Inspiral Carpets

9. Groovy Train – The Farm

10. The Only One I Know - The Charlatans

11. Circle Square – The Wonderstuff

12. Sheriff Fatman – Carter USM

13. Progen – The Shamen

14. W.F.L. – Happy Mondays

15. I'm Free – The Soup Dragons

I sometimes think that but on the whole I don’t think you can compare like for like. As New Order evolved they became far removed from Joy Division. Listen to a song like Round & Round or even something a bit less electronic like Regret then stick on something like 24 Hours or Atmosphere or She’s Lost Control and they’re two distinct bands.

More often than not I can’t split the two as to who I like best but I think JD were more consistent. Two great bands, though.

248204[/snapback]

f**kin hell!! We agree again... :o

14. W.F.L. – Happy Mondays

248271[/snapback]

What an absolutely top version of Wrote For Luck.

That song epitomises the whole feeling of that time around the end of the 80s and the start of the 90s.

Music was taking a different direction, the old shite of the 80s was being left behind, and people were looking at dance music in a different way.

B)

What an absolutely top version of Wrote For Luck.

That song epitomises the whole feeling of that time around the end of the 80s and the start of the 90s.

Music was taking a different direction, the old shite of the 80s was being left behind, and people were looking at dance music in a different way.

B)

248278[/snapback]

That was quite a thrilling time and was much more enjoyable than that Britpop shite. The Indie scene was becoming less underground and more mainstream and a lot of good bands were being listened and were dictating the music scene. A lot of the old 80s indie bands had gone but there was a new feeling. A lot of swagger in these bands as opposed to a certain sense of self-pity.

Elvis Costello gave a good quote about the 80s indie scene; “it’s either ‘feel my pain’ or ‘mummy I’ve wet myself again’. It’s laughableâ€. The indie guitar bands that adopted a bit of dance music kicked that well into touch and that was a great time. A lot of the influence came from New Order and the Hacienda as well as copious amounts of class A’s.

By contrast I always found the mid-90s scene to be somewhat contrived. Oasis’ first two albums are enjoyable (Definitely Maybe is a bit of a fave) and you can hear a lot of influences of the early 90s. However everything after that from them has been quite disappointing as far as I’m concerned.

And Simon, I told you before, if you’re surprised at us agreeing you just aren’t paying attention.