I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

Yep. Saw him on BBC2 on Saturday night and thought he was excellent. There are, of course, different ways of putting your point across. Woody Guthrie didn’t need the aggression to say what he had to say; Neil Young, on the other hand, enhances a lot of his stuff with the raggedness of how he executes the music. He’s never been a man that was afraid to point the finger, be judgemental and pour out scorn and bile (listen to On The Beach for a kick off on that one).

Bruce, however, has always dealt more with the effects on the individual on the front line, hence a bit more of a humanitarian feel to his work. Rarely, if ever, has Springsteen displayed any righteous rage – in fact, probably the most vitriolic he got was on the song Born in the USA – more an understanding of the effects of politics and situations on people. Some of the lyrics on last years Devils & Dust empathise with that as much as anything on The Ghost of Tom Joad or on the masterpiece that is Nebraska.

Both are equally valid in my view and both say what they feel in their own way.

I'd have to disagree - I've seen Springsteen and enjoy his love of American roots music. His muse springs from (sic) from Guthrie/Seeger/Dylan as much as Elvis Presley but I feel that in the Seeger Sessions the band and tempo are out of synch with and unsympathetic to the songs. IMO only a couple of the tunes work in the setting Mrs. McGrath being one of them.

On BBC3 The Seeger Sessions was scheduled after an E Street Band gig at Hammersmith Odeon from the Born To Run Tour. For me the Seeger Sessions are a pastiche both of the music and the performer - a man who has lost touch with his routes.

On your other point yes NY might scorn polished production values however I think this enhances rather than distracts from his music. Anger and the willingness to point the finger also needn't be a bad thing. The best pop music has a message to put across and for me NY has been willing to tilt at windmills thoughout his career when the record companies were urging him to do another Harvest. I've listened to On The Beach and see it as a statement of intent - NY doing it his way. Long May He Run.

RPWL - Start The Fire: Live

Edited by Bud the Baker

I'd have to disagree - I've seen Springsteen and enjoy his love of American roots music. His muse springs from (sic) from Guthrie/Seeger/Dylan as much as Elvis Presley but I feel that in the Seeger Sessions the band and tempo are out of synch with and unsympathetic to the songs. IMO only a couple of the tunes work in the setting Mrs. McGrath being one of them.

On BBC3 The Seeger Sessions was scheduled after an E Street Band gig at Hammersmith Odeon from the Born To Run Tour. For me the Seeger Sessions are a pastiche both of the music and the performer - a man who has lost touch with his routes.

On your other point yes NY might scorn polished production values however I think this enhances rather than distracts from his music. Anger and the willingness to point the finger also needn't be a bad thing. The best pop music has a message to put across and for me NY has been willing to tilt at windmills thoughout his career when the record companies were urging him to do another Harvest. I've listened to On The Beach and see it as a statement of intent - NY doing it his way. Long May He Run.

RPWL - Start The Fire: Live

Fair enough if that's what you think. It would be interesting to see those two gigs together, however, I disagree that Springsteen has losttouch with his roots; I reckon, if anything, he's more in touch with the great American songwriters/commentators like Guthrie or Dylan or Paul Simon or Johnny Cash. Many of the songs on The Seeger Sessions, despite being oldies, I'm only hearing for the first time (Mary Don't You Weep being one) soo I've nothing to compare it with. However I totally disagree that Springsteen could ever be a pastiche of anything. He's as much the genuine article as anything, though he may add a good deal of humour (which he always has done anyway). He's not confrontational in the way that some others are, but he can manage to make a statement. However, he's more of a story teller and so it remains with the Seeger Sessions; as far as I'm concerned it's in the same vein.

Totally agree with NY. Much as I like Bruce, Neil Young is more of a favourite. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and can be very contrary (I think David Crosby sarcastically named him Mr. Reliable). Only thing about him is the way he sided a bit with the Reagan administration in the 80s. Funnily enough, his music wasn't that great in that decade.

However, it's nice to see he can still get his ire raised. As you say, Long May He Run.

Totally agree with NY. Much as I like Bruce, Neil Young is more of a favourite. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and can be very contrary (I think David Crosby sarcastically named him Mr. Reliable). Only thing about him is the way he sided a bit with the Reagan administration in the 80s. Funnily enough, his music wasn't that great in that decade.

However, it's nice to see he can still get his ire raised. As you say, Long May He Run.

Canadian in right wing politics shocker! :zipit Don't tell St. Sid. Again he coming from the same position as Neil Peart and advocating minimalizing government and taking personal reponsability. Not viewpoints that are solely the property of the right wing IMO. Anyone who doubts his compassion should listen to the lyrics in Rockin' In The Free World amongst others.

Geffen, NY's record label for most of the 80's sued him at one point for making deliberately uncommercial records! :) Some of them grow on you Trans his synth dominated album from '83 with distorted vocals is one of my favourites, a real grower, but the Rockabilly one is best forgotten.

About A Boy - Badly Drawn Boy

The old blame the weans, i am listening to the only decent song Rush has done "Spirt of Radio" Credit were its due a cracking tune.

was her honest, her an the pal are playing music, she doesnt like that kind of thing, she love hard rock things like that :wink:

RUSH My all time fav band :wink::wink::wink: Dreamline, live its brill :wink:

Canadian in right wing politics shocker! :zipit Don't tell St. Sid. Again he coming from the same position as Neil Peart and advocating minimalizing government and taking personal reponsability. Not viewpoints that are solely the property of the right wing IMO.

I agree that such a viewpoint isn’t exclusive to right-wing politics, however, I think Neil Young openly advocated support of Reagan. His attitude was always that of personal responsibility (notably, he said he felt responsible for Danny Whitten’s death even though it was Whitten who had the heroin problem) however in the 80s he seemed to lose that a bit. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Anyone who doubts his compassion should listen to the lyrics in Rockin' In The Free World amongst others.

Oh, absolutely correct, and it’s notable that that album was released in late ’89 (when Bush Senior had been in power for a year) just in time to pull things back together and get him back on the road. Crime In The City is a partner song, commenting on the society that brings about the circumstances of a song like RITFW.

Geffen, NY's record label for most of the 80's sued him at one point for making deliberately uncommercial records! :) Some of them grow on you Trans his synth dominated album from '83 with distorted vocals is one of my favourites, a real grower, but the Rockabilly one is best forgotten.

To be pedantic, Geffen tried to sue him but failed. He did do some okay stuff then, mind you. I think Trans was the first full NY album I heard and I have always liked it. I’ve always thought there’s a bit of a Steely Dan feel to Like An Inca. Maybe that’s just me as we got a loan of some Dan at the same time.

Anyway.

Listening to My Ride’s Here by Warren Zevon.