Top Five Gigs

Herbie

.....because they've split up, chucked it or died.

In no particular order:

1. Sex Pistols

2. Stone Roses

3. Exploited

4. Pearl Jam

5. Led Zeppelin

192845[/snapback]

As I've mentioned before...........

I'm on the cover of the 1st Exploited album..............

Pictures were taken at the Bungalow...............

I'm below the 1st 'D' in DEAD.......................

punksnd.jpg

1.The Beatles

2.The Doors

3.The Waterboys ( circa 1988 (?) Barrowlands) - Will you be my enemy ?

4.James (a la thier last gig - seen at the secc - mesmerisingly brilliant.)

5.The Stranglers original line up - make thier ears bleed !

192918[/snapback]

Seen three of those. Saw The Waterboys at the Barras a few times in the late 80s. The Saw Doctors were support and they were pretty good. But Mike Scott, Steve Wickham, Anthony T. and the boys were excellent. They played for about three feckin' hours.

One of the best gigs I ever went to was James at the Barrowlands in '97. She's A Star was out at the time but the whole interaction with the crowd and the way the band played was superb. The Audience were the support band featuring a young Sophie Ellis Bextor.

And I saw The Stranglers at the Livingston Forum before Hugh Cornwell jacked it in. Pretty good but I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't their best gig.

Rush at the SECC last Septmeber were utterly magic. Seen them three times now and they've all been superb.

I also know someone on this very posting who had the chance to see Nirvana at the QM but didn't go. AAARRRGGHH!!!

Mind you, another (fairly) regular poster did and he said they were pish. :rolleyes:

I'd love to have seen:-

1. The Who in the late 60s smashing up their gear.

2. AC/DC with Bon Scott

3. Genesis with Peter Gabriel (well, I have to say that, don't I?)

4. Queen in their heyday

5. Zeppellin at Earls Court circa '75 (I think).

Herbie, thought you'd already seem the Pumpkins. You told me you saw them at the Barras hence the reason you weren't going to the last gig at the Red Shed.

Good gig that was, as well.

Also could've gone to see The Ramones but didn't.

Other gigs I'd like to have seen:-

1. The Cure at the Barras '92 (sold out before I got a ticket)

2. Manic Street Preachers with Richey Edwards

3. Hawkwind (circa Space Ritual)

4. Status Quo at the Apollo (the stuff of legends)

5. The first rendition of Handel's Messiah when he premiered it in Dublin. That would've been f*ckin' magic!

Saw the Quo numerous times at the Apollo (and also Milton Keynes Bowl on their last tour - allegedly).

The were a superb live band and awesome at the Apollo with the old place jumping - of course from about 1983 onwards they've been on the slippery slope and are nothing more than a cabaret band now.

Like so many bands they should have chucked it before they lost it. Sounds like a new topic '5 bands that had it and lost it' .

Still not a patch on Springsteen live - 4 hours, set changing every night...awesome performer.

Herbie, thought you'd already seem the Pumpkins.

193067[/snapback]

I've seen the Pumpkins 3 times Howard, at Barrowlands, SECC and Reading Festival. Would love to see them again though. Absolutely tremendous live, though Billy Corgan is a bit of a pretentious tit.

Quite interesting reading through this post to see I have been lucky enough to see some of these bands.

Queen I seen supporting Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson at the old Apollo , needless to say the support band blew away the main act by a big margin.

Bongo has the Beat on his list. Have to admit to being a Beat fan myself so much so I bought a mobile Disco in the early 80's and called it the " Beat Machine " after the Beat. Great day's as I managed to do the disco thing for three years full time which = lots and lots of fun.

Question when the lead singer left the Beat what did the band change there name to ?

See below.

Fine Young Cannibals

some of the great bands I have seen seen Floyd, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Paul MaCartney and Wings, Abba, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Bad Company Quo in their Hay day. Thin Lizzy, The loudest band I have ever heard in my life is Def Leopard, feuk were they loud. Done my ears some damage , What ?

So bands I have not seen and would have like to mmmmm !

1/ Buddy Holly And The Crickets

2/ The Kinks

3/ Roy Orbison

4/ Bob Marley

5/ Lynyrd Skynyrd

1. Bob Marley - Surprisingly the old Apollo was nowhere near full :huh:

2 Alice Cooper '82; Seen him a few times always a great show but sometimes if the band is a bit too HM you lose out on the fun side of Alice.

3. The Ramones - Barrowland (Summer '84); Hottest gig I've ever been to people were faintin' and being carried out, prew what a scorcher!

4. Motörhead (Ace of Spades) Seen them quite a few times but this was them at their peak narrowly edges out No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith tour.

5. Waterboys - (Fisherman's Blues); Again IMO this was their highspot, at Brixton Acadamey. Great venue for a gig but on the way out I was glad to be with a coupla mates as I reckon it could be quite a scary place for a lone white boy.

Saw The Who ('81) and Status Quo ('82) do their first farewell tours! :rolleyes:

Loudest gig I saw was Big Country at the Town & Country in Campden Town ('90); they were playing as part of the 10th Anniversary Series of gigs for the club. It's a medium sized venue (Capacity 1500 approx), but they must've bought their full sound system coz it was LOUD!

Weirdest band was Tangerine Dream who played behind a black net curtain so you couldn't really see them with the exception of when Edgar Froese came out to do a coupla guitar solos.