Top Five Influential Bands

Isle Of Bute Saint

Thought it would be a good idea to pick 5 of your most influential bands from the last five decades, I found the 70s the hardest as there was just so much unbelievable amounts of talent about that I could have easily put down another five.

I found the 90's the hardest as I'm not really into Brit pop Oasis, Blur , Charlatans Stone Roses I have albums from all these bands but they are not exactly ground breaking ( for me)

Our younger members can pick their top 5 most influential bands which don't have to include the 60s and 70s.

Happy Thinking.

60s

1 / Beatles

2/ Rolling Stones

3/ Doors

4/ Kinks

5/ Pink Floyd

70s The hardest for me to pick because this was the best decade with out a doubt.

1/ Deep Purpule

2/ Led Zeppelin

3/ T Rex

4/ Pink Floyd

5/ David Bowie

80s

1/ Orchestral Manoeuvers In The Dark

2/ Def Leppard

3/ Rick James

4/ Quincy Jones

5/ Pink Floyd

90s

1/ REM

2/ James

3/ Manic Steet Preachers

4/ Gun

5/ Pink Floyd

1/ Muse

2/ Wilco

3/ Doves

4/ Badly Drawn Boy

5/ Elbow

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60s, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Beach Boys, John's Children, Dylan , Dusty Spingfield

70s Clash, Mott the Hoople, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Spiders from Mars......

80s New Order, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Smiths, Motorhead.........

I've not been allowed out since....................

Gun were a superb band as were Slide but hardly influential.............

Not necessarily my favourites, but the most influential on popular music IMO:

60s: The Beatles, Brian Wilson/Beach Boys, James Brown, Velvet Underground, Phil Spector

70s: Bowie, Kraftwerk, Stevie Wonder, Sex Pistols, Bob Marley

80s: Prince, Madonna, Run DMC, Juan Atkins, The Smiths

90s: Nirvana, Dr Dre, Tupac Shakur, Oasis, Aphex Twin

00s: Radiohead, Jay-Z, Eminem, erm, can't really think of any more.

Edited to say I can't believe I forgot Dylan for the 60s :P

Edited again: or Jimi Hendrix. They can replace VU and Phil Spector.

Edited by Colin M

Buddy Holly and the Crickets

The Beatles

Sex Pistols

The Smiths

The Stone Roses

im sure the crickets were one of the first to use the electric bass and guitars.

197397[/snapback]

Correct, Murdy. Guitar, drums, bass and the six-string played on downstrokes only. The template for all rock bands and the first ones to do so. If that ain't influential then my name's Kendo Nagasaki.

Correct, Murdy. Guitar, drums, bass and the six-string played on downstrokes only. The template for all rock bands and the first ones to do so. If that ain't influential then my name's Kendo Nagasaki.

197418[/snapback]

conspiricy theory no 120,000 bla,blah. buddy holly and richie valens murdered becuse Elvis was more politically correct for middle america (the hip swinging thing was a cover up) in those days and the first two appealed to ethnics in a white supremist society.

70"s CLASH DAMNED RAMONES NEW YORK DOLLS MC5

80"s SMITHS, SONIC YOUTH, PIXIES, STONE ROSES, THE WEDDING PRESENT

90"s TEENAGE FANCLUB, NIRVANA, LEMONHEADS, STEPS, S CLUB 7

noughties music is just whingeing whineing sleep-inducing dirge a la coldplay, travis, keane, athlete, and countless other unoriginal boring bags of pish! B)

70"s  CLASH DAMNED RAMONES NEW YORK DOLLS MC5

80"s  SMITHS, SONIC YOUTH, PIXIES, STONE ROSES, THE WEDDING PRESENT

90"s  TEENAGE FANCLUB, NIRVANA, LEMONHEADS, STEPS, S CLUB 7

noughties music is just whingeing whineing sleep-inducing dirge a la coldplay, travis, keane, athlete, and countless other unoriginal boring bags of pish! B)

197469[/snapback]

Hear, Hear, me old fruitbat...................

S Club 7 Vs Whacko Jacko is a Saturday night highlight...................

70"s  CLASH DAMNED RAMONES NEW YORK DOLLS MC5

80"s  SMITHS, SONIC YOUTH, PIXIES, STONE ROSES, THE WEDDING PRESENT

90"s  TEENAGE FANCLUB, NIRVANA, LEMONHEADS, STEPS, S CLUB 7

197469[/snapback]

Keane need to be shot. But why dont you look for other styles of music ya lazy git?? Plenty of good stuff being made nowadays.

F*ck me! I'm in (partial) agreement with suedehead!

F*ck me! I never knew that about Buddy Holly.

F*ck me! Kemp is correct. Keane DO need to be shot (as do Oldplay, Radiodead and Travisty)

F*ck me! Bongo is not making sense.....ah, forget that last one. <_<

How the hell can you compare Radiohead with those other three? Fair enough if you dont like the music but they are easily the most creative band of the last 10 years. I dont think you can seriously compare the brilliance of OK Computer and Kid A with the sound of that fat lass from Keane?

How the hell can you compare Radiohead with those other three?  Fair enough if you dont like the music but they are easily the most creative band of the last 10 years.

197635[/snapback]

Baws - I DO like them, but I wouldn't say they're particularly creative or innovative. Copying a bunch of electronic artists who are innovative doesn't make them original.....

Still, I agree they're nothing like Keane, Coldplay and all that pish :P

:angry: Ah quite liked very early radiohead sounds, but got a bit bored by them............ah wouldnt get bored punchin coldplay though!

that squealin, wailing, miserable wee middle-class twat of a "singer" needs a right

good dowfin!

That current single?????? how anyone could be anyway proud of that crock o shit is totally beyond me!.......any radio DJ who encourages these fcuckers should be

stuck in front of a wall at dawn and shot! :ph34r:

Gun were a superb band as were Slide but hardly [influential/QUOTE]

Hi Bongo,

I don't mean influential in a way that I want to pick up a music instrument.

No what I mean is a few bods come round to the house for a few drinks before we hit Glasgow for a night out. Put on Gun and the bods are ready to hit the town in high spirits that's waht I mean by influential :D

How the hell can you compare Radiohead with those other three?  Fair enough if you dont like the music but they are easily the most creative band of the last 10 years.  I dont think you can seriously compare the brilliance of OK Computer and Kid A with the sound of that fat lass from Keane?

197635[/snapback]

I think The bends is one of the best albums of the 90s. I've listened to OK Computer plenty times but come to the conclusion that he emperor is casually dressed. As for Kid A, the emperor may not be in his altogether but he's not wearing very much. I'd suggest the album Discipline by King Crimson. Weird noodlings but much better execution and superb musicianship. Oh, and tunes as well. Kid A is lacking in that department.

Also, listen to Keane and you can hear the definite bedwetters influence of Coldplay. Listen to Coldplay, in particular the vocals, and you can hear Radiohead and in particular Thom Yorke.

Radiohead are responsible for the worst gig I've ever been at. And they've done nothing since to convince me that they've got back to their best.

I think The bends is one of the best albums of the 90s. I've listened to OK Computer plenty times but come to the conclusion that he emperor is casually dressed. As for Kid A, the emperor may not be in his altogether but he's not wearing very much. I'd suggest the album Discipline by King Crimson. Weird noodlings but much better execution and superb musicianship. Oh, and tunes as well. Kid A is lacking in that department.

King Crimson, now were talking , kicked off in 1969 with " In The Court Of The King Crimson " true progressive psychedelic rock. If you like weird Radiohead one listen to Crimson and you will realize just how bad Radiohead were and more to the point, how the f**k they got away with it. Yes Radiohead can write some great music but they can also write the biggest pile oh keech. Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp has also been called into help out Pink Floyd on and off, say's it all really.

Muse are the band who are coming out with a true new direction that has been sadly lacking in the past decade. However we can only coment in what our ears here because for sure there is thousands of bands out there we don't get to hear. Long live mags like NME who at least try to tell us :)

I will hold my hand up and say that the new Coldplay album is not too bad at all. Coldplay on this new album have added more keyboard affects to their music than in past albums which in turn seems to give it a much bigger soundstage and the bass is being played in a more funky way.. When I heard the first single from the new album my reaction was jeez more of the same how very boring. Then at work I was asked to give it a listen because I was salging it off. Coldplay have moved on and I would say this is with out doubt their best album todate.

Are you pished LS

I'd be so lucky NSS. I'm back in the northsea myself so no throwing hard discs ( Rolls to you :D:P ) overboard.

Radiohead are responsible for the worst gig I've ever been at. And they've done nothing since to convince me that they've got back to their best.

197875[/snapback]

I didn't think it was that bad a night, but agree it was a disappointment. I think Hail to the Thief is great album.

I'm in complete agreement about Keane and Coldplay.

http://www.everythingsoundslikecoldplaynow.com/

Green Day are the greatest band in the world at the moment..........

I previously knew a few of their tunes but never listened to their albums, dismissing them as Yankee plastic punks............

After Suedehead and International recording artist Bob Lobster bent my ear for a couple of months I bought (not stole) American Idiot and it is the most listenable work of music I've ever came across...........

It's constantly on in the Bongobus and the brats are well into it as well...........