Top Five Influential Bands

Isle Of Bute Saint

That's a shame you were at a bad Radiohead gig...they were responsible for the best gig I have ever been to. Kid A was an amazing and original album - an epic. Comments like "it's weird" are boring to say the least.

It's a bit harsh on Radiohead to blame them for Chris Martin imitating Thom Yorke's vocals. Besides, the compositions and riffs are what make Radiohead not Yorke.

I would even say its harsh on Coldplay to blame them for Keane who are in all a whole new world of bed wetting lameness. Keane wouldn't exist without Coldplay, granted but at least Coldplay can come up with some good driving bass lines and are quite a tight band ableit with a frontman sin baws.

In short....as much as I hate music nazis - KEANE AND ALL WHO LISTEN TO THEM MUST BE DESTROYED.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kid A was an amazing and original album - an epic.  Comments like "it's weird" are boring to say the least.

197964[/snapback]

Utterly, utterly disagree with you on that one. I don't find it original at all. I mentioned King Crimson before. They did avant-garde, atmospheric, abstract and innovation before the Greenwoods' faither had the twinkle in his eye and KC did it much, much better. Anyone who's heard In the Court of the Crimson King, Beat or in particular Discipline (which is absolutely fúcking brilliant) then listens to Kid A and Amnesiac will be able to point out that it’s either a valiant but failed attempt at being inventive (let's not forget there wasn't exactly much in the way of being unusual at the time) or just floundering around playing at it and ultimately being pretentious.

It’s not competent enough to be called weird. It’s too average. There are tracks on it that I like (Optimistic I think is a gem as is Everything In Its Right Place) but it’s too much of an effort to try and wrong foot everyone and in the end just sounds very dull and lame.

I think Radiohead could have achieved so much given the potential they have/had. I don’t think they’ve come close and I don’t think they ever will.

Haven't heard much King Crimson so can't come at it from a rock point of view - I do know that Radiohead cited 90s electronic music as their main influence on Kid A, Thom Yorke talked at length about Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada in interviews at that time, and about how he was inspired to buy sequencers and create music in that way. So as well as the rock thing not being original, none of the electronic "dancey" stuff was either.

To be honest though, that's not even the problem I have with Kid A and Amnesiac, as I believe OK Computer isn't that "innovative" either. I would credit Radiohead for trying to expand their sound pallete and bringing some of those things to mainstream rock, regardless of whether it's been done before. The main problem I have with those albums is that the songs just aren't good enough. By trying to ape all those other kinds of music, they forgot that people liked them for Yorke's voice and for the songwriting ability, as well as the noise the band made. Although there's some fine moments on both the albums, for large parts it seemed they'd given up on the elements that had drawn me to them in the first place.

Not saying that a band can't change and do something different, but if they are going to then they have to be measured against the other people who already do successfully what that band is trying to do, and Radiohead fall short IMO.

80s New Order, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Smiths, Motorhead.........

197333[/snapback]

Ach it's all about opinions but Lemmster and the boys were, imo very influential in the formation of punk- I first saw them at strathclyde- I wis out o' uni by then in 1976- great band- was boozin in the bar before the gig when the great man walked in- slightly pished i went up bought him and the guys a pint and gfound them to be bluidy decent fellas.

Great gig :P

First ever motorhead gig

Clicky

Ach it's all about opinions but Lemmster and the boys were, imo very influential in the formation of punk- I first saw them at strathclyde- I wis out o' uni by then in 1976- great band- was boozin in the bar before the gig when the great man walked in- slightly pished i went up bought him and the guys a pint and gfound them to be bluidy decent fellas.

Great gig :P

First ever motorhead gig

Clicky

198165[/snapback]

Saw them at Port Vale's ground in 81, supported by Ozzy who'd replaced the Dio fronted Sabbath..........

About 12 of us with short hair in a crowd of 40000 metal heads but an awesome weekend..................

Total mayhem in the ground, couldn't see the sky for bottles, drink stands totally over-run and then a parachute squad dropping in for 'Bomber'...............

1 guy's chute collapsed and he ended up in a heap in the carpark outside..............

Scotland beat England in a 150 a side match on the morning of the gig on pitches next to the ground(which had been planned as the Wembley of the North)...............

Everyone knows that the Clash are the greatest band of all time

I take it your joking here and if your not you need to broaden your musical horizons a little and i'm not talking Green day ether :lol::lol:

Hey Bongo, sure the Clash here a fine band but the best of all time tut tut.

I can see you were a punkman. You did not frequent a Monday night at the Silver Thread by any chance. Aye these were the day's :rolleyes:

I think you are talking out of your arse regarding Radiohead but I cant be arsed to argue. I think recording the two (or even three) albums that many people consider to be the best of their decade could be regarded as reaching their potential though!

Come up with one band you would consider as orignal then?? Everyone is influenced by someone, even Aphex Twin.

I take it your joking here and if your not you need to broaden your musical horizons a little and i'm not talking Green day ether  :lol:  :lol: 

I can see you were a punkman. You did not frequent a Monday night at the Silver Thread by any chance. Aye these were the day's  :rolleyes:

198175[/snapback]

I assumed the Green Day thing was a joke.....but he's probably not far off with The Clash I reckon.

I think you are talking out of your arse regarding Radiohead but I cant be arsed to argue. I think recording the two (or even three) albums that many people consider to be the best of their decade could be regarded as reaching their potential though!

Come up with one band you would consider as orignal then?? Everyone is influenced by someone, even Aphex Twin.

Only opinions Kemp of which many are different and varied. If you grew up with Radiohead and they are the best for you then who am I to argue against you. I grew up mostly with 70s music where Pink Floyd grabbed you by the balls as did Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and many many more at that time. For me and this is only my view, Muse are an outstanding band fussing Rock, Punk, Dance and classical music together. Of course their are plenty who just here an almighty scream coming from Muse. However look further and the picture becomes clearer.

I went along to the SSEC to see Muse after I purchased Absolution, coming away from the gig I knew I had just witnessed something very special that only comes along once in a while and I was proved write when Muse later that year picked up every award from MTV to NME and Q for best live band. They also picked up awards for innovation in their Music from Q. I have been going to live gig's since 1977 on a regular basis and for me Muse were not too far behind a Live Pink Floyd show. They are a great band.

The Chili Peppers were also different in that the earlier albums were a heavy jazz rock. So Kemp your a Radiohead man, fine enjoy your music because their is a lot of shit in this world and sometimes it just great to escape into the world of music no matter who you like.

I take it your joking here and if your not you need to broaden your musical horizons a little and i'm not talking Green day ether  :lol:  :lol: 

I can see you were a punkman. You did not frequent a Monday night at the Silver Thread by any chance. Aye these were the day's  :rolleyes:

198175[/snapback]

:o The Clash ARE the greatest rock band ever, every album was a TOTALLY different concept,......name a musical genre, and the clash have had a stab at it, and in doing so, were still recognisible as themselves....instances are too numerous to mention them all here, but have a REAL gander at ALL their work, and see how they developed as musicians, songwriters,AND politically.

I recommend that you have a swatch at SUPERBLACKMARKETCLASH,.........20 odd years later, the dancetracks would hold up on the dancefloor of any present day "club"............major respect to THE CLASH the band, and to the late Joe Strummer,...THE MAN! B)

Well....they did have a stab at everything, som eif it disnae work though does it?!!

They are the true sipirt of punk though, politically inspiration for many and they demonstrated how important music can be. Not to mention the tunes are feckin amazing!! Its band like The Clash that make people fall in love with music and make it so important to many peoples lives. This is why so many of us cant stand the commercial side of music, the industry and the manipulation.......may Keane and Green Day hang their heads in shame!

I think you are talking out of your arse regarding Radiohead but I cant be arsed to argue.  I think recording the two (or even three) albums that many people consider to be the best of their decade could be regarded as reaching their potential though!

Come up with one band you would consider as orignal then??  Everyone is influenced by someone, even Aphex Twin.

198176[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong Kemp, I like Radiohead and like bits of the Kid A and Amnesiac albums, they just weren't as good for me as The Bends in particular and OK Computer. :)

I was also at their last gig at the SECC and enjoyed it, I think Hail to the Thief was much better than the previous two albums.

In terms of rock / song based music, I think the last two Flaming Lips albums (The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots) are a great example of using the studio and technology in an innovative way, and albums hang together better than the Radiohead ones for me. Totally different style obviously. In a similar vein I like Mercury Rev and I think the Super Furry Animals are consistently good.

:)

Well....they did have a stab at everything, som eif it disnae work though does it?!!

They are the true sipirt of punk though, politically inspiration for many and they demonstrated how important music can be.  Not to mention the tunes are feckin amazing!!  Its band like The Clash that make people fall in love with music and make it so important to many peoples lives.  This is why so many of us cant stand the commercial side of  music, the industry and the manipulation.......may Keane and Green Day hang their heads in shame!

198203[/snapback]

:)

rock n roll,...ska,..reggae,...jazz,...funk,...rap,...etc......they all sure done it for me!

unfortunately, many peoples perceptions of the clash are conditioned by the ubiquitous radio friendly tracks like ROCK THE KASBAH, and SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO NOW,....mighty fine tracks by anyones standards, but only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.........SANDANISTA....lossmaking triple vinyl album,..less than 3 quid in 1980,.......dont rip the fans off!..new thinking in the music biz!.....now THERE was an example of experimental/conceptual music! B)

They are the true sipirt of punk though, politically inspiration for many and they demonstrated how important music can be.  Not to mention the tunes are feckin amazing!!  Its band like The Clash that make people fall in love with music and make it so important to many peoples lives.  This is why so many of us cant stand the commercial side of  music, the industry and the manipulation.......may Keane and Green Day hang their heads in shame!

198203[/snapback]

Green Day have nothing to hang their head their head in shame about, they actively promote up and coming bands and still promote the small label that gave them their break................

What other US act gives the people that control America so much stick...........?

I think the latest Mercury Rev album is a little poor but Deserts Songs is a sensational album. The Flaming Lips have a good claim at being the best band in the world just now, both live and recorded they are amazingly inventive and imaginative. SFA are great too....this thread is about influential bands and I would like to say SFA and Blur and the most influential British bands of the 90's/00's - unfortunately the bands that have influenced pop the most have been Coldplay and the Spice Girls!

Green Day have nothing to hang their head their head in shame about, they actively promote up and coming bands and still promote the small label that gave them their break................

What other US act gives the people that control America so much stick...........?

198210[/snapback]

An old bogger like me remembers early Bobby Z.

Masters of war, Only a pawn in their game, Who killed Davey Moore, Lonesome death of Hattie Carroll- the list goes on and on.

Dylan of course inherited the mantle of Woody Guthrie, who also gave stick wie a vengence.

Green Day? Must try and hear some of their stuff.

Although at least Green Day dont jump in bed with Starbucks to sell albums exclusively in the outlets of their crappy chain a la Dylan, the auld sell out!

198424[/snapback]

Not arguing- IMO Bob's last Great albums were in done in the late 70's.

If, of late, he does deals wie starbucks - :(

Still that's more than 40 years after his best work.

Bob was totemic for us in the 60's.