Top 5 Worst

Stoi

Well we have all spent many Saturdays freezing off our nuts/feet/fingers watching shitty football, but here are 5 of my worst!

1) St Mirren v Falkirk B&Q Cup final - 1993. Terrible day from start to finish getting soaked in the pissing rain for 90minutes as Saints got humped by Falkirk. One of the few games I have ever left early and that was purely to get to a shitty Motherwell pub for a pint and to dry out.

2) Lithuania v Scotland U-21 - 2003 – dry, but so fecking cold that even those big hairy Northerners were leaving early to try and get warm again. I have never been so chilled to the bone in my life and the kilt didn’t help either!

3) St Mirren v ??? again late 80’s I think. A snowstorm was so bad we had an orange ball, but to be fair still couldn’t see it and think game may eventually have been abandoned.

4) Lazio v Parma 1999 - Beautiful Saturday in Rome and then torrential rain for 2 hours meaning the game was cancelled after 8minutes. Barstewards!

5) Hibs v St Mirren circa 1989. Days of the uncovered terraces and it rained so heavily for the whole game they eventually let us move into the main stand. Unusual Edinbugger hospitality!

1 That B&Q cup final- Someone said it was pissing doon no it wasnt it was blowing a blizzard. The guy outside selling the woollen hats made a fortune. Most the crowd behind the goals fecked off at h/t.

2. Playing Killie at Love Street on boxing day- Fenton scored and i couldnae see it due to the fog.

3. 1983 semi final against the ****.- Nothing due to the weather but depressing all the same. After getting pelted with bricks, stones, coins and pool balls :huh: . That bassa McGinley gave them a goal i felt like greetin so i did :(

4 . Dundee at Love Street 1982- It was a downpour when the ref called the game off. Cammy Fraser had already scored a screamer for Dundee when the game got called off. Saints let everyone free in the rearranged game which we won 2-1. When i got home in Elderslie it was bone dry, it hadnt rained all day :blink:

5. Anytime we play at Broadwood it is feckin baltic.

Agreed, the only real contender is that B&Q final. To add insult to injury, my mate had arranged comps for us. Feckin eejit didn't check for what part of the ground and we ended up in among the Falkirk fans. What a fúckin nightmare, right down at the front of Motherwell's equivalent of the North Bank with the rain pishin in on us. Couldny wait tae get oot... :(

I remember a trip to Aberdeen in the early 80's.

We left a gloriously sunny Paisley, arrived in Aberdeen to a snowblizzard. The feckers left the big door at the back of the beach end open and the snow was blowing in through that big door.

Bloody freezing, sitting there in shorts & Saints top. (Sheep-shagging bassas) :angry:

I remember a game V Killie when Fitzy went to take a corner at the LS end,NB side,and the ball stuck in a huge puddle.A Killie player came running to get the ball,Fitzy couldn't play it again,and Fitzy started kicking water at him.

For some reason both the Saints + Killie Fans were in the one end of the NB :blink:

Well we have all spent many Saturdays freezing off our nuts/feet/fingers watching shitty football, but here are 5 of my worst!

1)  St Mirren v Falkirk B&Q Cup final - 1993. Terrible day from start to finish getting soaked in the pissing rain for 90minutes as Saints got humped by Falkirk. One of the few games I have ever left early and that was purely to get to a shitty Motherwell pub for a pint and to dry out.

2)   Lithuania v Scotland U-21 - 2003 – dry, but so fecking cold that even those big hairy Northerners were leaving early to try and get warm again. I have never been so chilled to the bone in my life and the kilt didn’t help either!

3)   St Mirren v ??? again late 80’s I think. A snowstorm was so bad we had an orange ball, but to be fair still couldn’t see it and think game may eventually have been abandoned.

4)    Lazio v Parma 1999 - Beautiful Saturday in Rome and then torrential rain for 2 hours meaning the game was cancelled after 8minutes. Barstewards!

5)  Hibs v St Mirren circa 1989. Days of the uncovered terraces and it rained so heavily for the whole game they eventually let us move into the main stand. Unusual Edinbugger hospitality!

202295[/snapback]

Was the 3rd game you mentioned not a mid-week scottish cup-tie against

Meadowbank around 84-85?..........could be,....and big Peter Godfrey was

against us, played a blinder, .....we signed the big chap shortly after........

......pound for pound one of our best signings ever!......

Edited by suedehead

Was the 3rd game you mentioned not a mid-week scottish cup-tie against

Meadowbank around 84-85?..........could be,....and big Peter Godfrey was

against us, played a blinder, .....we signed the big chap shortly after........

......pound for pound one of our best signings ever!......

202497[/snapback]

I thought this was going to be about the song I thought up at the B&Q cup final, Domus................

'We're wet, we're cauld and one of us is bald.....................

1. B&Q Cup Final without a shadow of a doubt. My dad vowed never to go to another away game again and he only went to Love Street about another twoce before he died. Possibly the most miserable experience I've ever had supporting Saints. And that's saying something.

2. Scotland V. Costa Rica in Genoa at the World Cup. Don’t think I’ve ever known heat like it at a football match. We were knackered just watching the bloody game.

3. 1990 at Easter Road. I had the good sense to pay the extra cash to get in to the Main Stand and not get soaked behind the goals. Then the bastard stewards let them in anyway. And we lost 1 flippin’ 0 thanks to Mickey bastarding Weir.

4. Saints V. Ayr United, January 1994. Foggy by f**k???? “Where the f**kin’ hell’s the ball? Where the fu-uckin’ hell’s the ball?†was the chant. Ayr went a goal up. Gillies equalised. Syme was the ref and called a halt at 1-1. We got vouchers for the rearranged game. I was at a Burns Supper that night so my big brother went instead. Saints won 3-1 and he said it was a great game. Alex Bone scored his first goal for Saints. But he was still pish.

5. Friendly at Cappielow last year. Bucketing from the heavens from start to finish and beyond. Saints were a goal down then equalised. Eddie bastard Annand (copyright St. Sid) missed a great chance for the winner. For some reason it went to extra time. Morton scored two minutes into the extra half hour leaving us to ask “why the f**k could ye not do that during regulation time, ya Greenock bastard?â€. Had to endure two hours plus of freezing cold Inverclyde piss water and see Saints lose. Bunch of arse, mate!

B&Q Cup Final wins this hands down. I was ill for weeks after that <_<

For fog there was that game against Kilmarnock on Boxing Day a few years back, when Fenton scored, except nobody could see it. The Killie fans were singing for the game to be called off all through the first half (especially when Fenton scored). Then Paul Wright scored a hat-trick in the second and it was the Saints fans who wanted it abandoned.

I could mention the St Mirren Morton game circa November 1998. Hurricane supposedly blew off a bit of the Northbank Terracing Roof or something equally improbale and the gane was called off that same morning. After I'd travelled all the feckin way up from Birmingham to see the game - and being told as I walked down Love Street that the fecker was off. Bealin' doesnae cover it. Having to spend all afternoon in the pub was but a small consolation. :angry:

I could mention the St Mirren Morton game circa November 1998. Hurricane supposedly blew off a bit of the Northbank Terracing Roof or something equally improbale and the gane was called off that same morning. After I'd travelled all the feckin way up from Birmingham to see the game - and being told as I walked down Love Street that the fecker was off. Bealin' doesnae cover it. Having to spend all afternoon in the pub was but a small consolation. :angry:

203254[/snapback]

Aye and ye followed that up wi the Hibs game that got called off cos the Saints bus got stuck on the Kingston Bridge. Ya feckin jinx :angry:

Are you sure about that Morton game being at Love Street??? I thought it was the roof of The Cowshed that got blown off. :blink:

203292[/snapback]

It was definitely a Love Street game - my memory may be faulty and it might have been against other opposition, but it was definitely at Love Street. If we could find the old guestbook anywhere out there on the old historical interweb, I'm sure there'd be a mention of it. I think I was coming up for the game the cowshed roof blow off at too......

It was definitely a Love Street game - my memory may be faulty and it might have been against other opposition, but it was definitely at Love Street. If we could find the old guestbook anywhere out there on the old historical interweb, I'm sure there'd be a mention of it.  I think I was coming up for the game the cowshed roof blow off at too......

203303[/snapback]

It was definitely Morton at Love Street. I was meeting some friends from Greenock and we ended up spending the whole afternoon in Hamishes Hoose getting totally wrecked. :o

It was definitely Morton at Love Street. I was meeting some friends from Greenock and we ended up spending the whole afternoon in Hamishes Hoose getting totally wrecked.  :o

203305[/snapback]

I knew I was right .... so to Howard :

ner ner ner nerrrr nerrr !

I remember a game V Killie when Fitzy went to take a corner at the LS end,NB side,and the ball stuck in a huge puddle.A Killie player came running to get the ball,Fitzy couldn't play it again,and Fitzy started kicking water at him.

For some reason both the Saints + Killie Fans were in the one end of the NB :blink:

202473[/snapback]

I remember that game too, it was about 1981 I think? R u sure it was fitzy that did that though, i thought it was alec beckett?

Also remember a game v Motherwell in the mid 80's weather had been bad all game but with 20 minutes to go there was a hailstorm, I remember Stevie Clarke trying to take a throw-in with great difficulty because the hail was going straight at him. Unlike more recent st mirren teams (the current lot excepted) of course, who found great difficulty in taking throw ins in perfect weather conditions.

Guest derek.ramsey1
1. B&Q Cup Final without a shadow of a doubt. My dad vowed never to go to another away game again and he only went to Love Street about another twoce before he died. Possibly the most miserable experience I've ever had supporting Saints. And that's saying something.

2. Scotland V. Costa Rica in Genoa at the World Cup. Don’t think I’ve ever known heat like it at a football match. We were knackered just watching the bloody game.

3. 1990 at Easter Road. I had the good sense to pay the extra cash to get in to the Main Stand and not get soaked behind the goals. Then the bastard stewards let them in anyway. And we lost 1 flippin’ 0 thanks to Mickey bastarding Weir.

4. Saints V. Ayr United, January 1994. Foggy by f**k???? “Where the f**kin’ hell’s the ball? Where the fu-uckin’ hell’s the ball?†was the chant. Ayr went a goal up. Gillies equalised. Syme was the ref and called a halt at 1-1. We got vouchers for the rearranged game. I was at a Burns Supper that night so my big brother went instead. Saints won 3-1 and he said it was a great game. Alex Bone scored his first goal for Saints. But he was still pish.

5. Friendly at Cappielow last year. Bucketing from the heavens from start to finish and beyond. Saints were a goal down then equalised. Eddie bastard Annand (copyright St. Sid) missed a great chance for the winner. For some reason it went to extra time. Morton scored two minutes into the extra half hour leaving us to ask “why the f**k could ye not do that during regulation time, ya Greenock bastard?â€. Had to endure two hours plus of freezing cold Inverclyde piss water and see Saints lose. Bunch of arse, mate!

203198[/snapback]

Gregg we were knackered cos we had been running around looking for tickets for 2 hours before the costa rica game..

can't believe you paid extra to get into easter roads sh*tty main stand instead of standing with the b&w army on the terracing,serves you right!

Edited by derek.ramsey1

can't believe you paid extra to get into easter roads sh*tty main stand instead of standing with the b&w army on the terracing,serves you right!

203934[/snapback]

i remember that one. Taxi Saint gave him a lift to that match and we went into the stand because we were going to Berwick after the match & didn't want to be soaking wet before we got there.

No, I went into the Main Stand cos I had a stinker of a cold that day. And I remember shag all about going to Berwick at that time. Facepainter, methinks thy brain is somewhat frazzled.

Talking of frazzled, the Costa Rica game, I think you’ll find oh Del-boy, was the only game wot we had tickets for before arriving in Eetalia. The Sweden and Brasil games had us running about; CR, we wuz ready from the start. It was just so feckin’ hot, full stop.