Fao: Any Computer Experts

Tennant's Lager

My main computer (1999 P3 600 running on Win '98 - I know, ancient) has developed a rather major fault - it gets to the point in startup where you see the desktop background has been loaded, then promptly fails the Explorer program, leaving me unable to continue and basically requiring me to shut the PC back down. :(

It started playing up earlier this night...not letting me stay logged into a site for any amount of time. So I thought I'd clear the cookies, temp internet files etc before trying again. No good. So I shut the system down. When I restarted it was asking me for the Win 98 product details etc...so I entered them only for explorer to fail before progressing any further. The situation's been that of the prior paragraph since.

If there's anyone who can offer some help and advice on what to do to sort things out, they would definitely be much appreciated........ :cheers

Thanks in advance guys.

My main computer (1999 P3 600 running on Win '98 - I know, ancient) has developed a rather major fault - it gets to the point in startup where you see the desktop background has been loaded, then promptly fails the Explorer program, leaving me unable to continue and basically requiring me to shut the PC back down.  :(

It started playing up earlier this night...not letting me stay logged into a site for any amount of time.  So I thought I'd clear the cookies, temp internet files etc before trying again.  No good.  So I shut the system down.  When I restarted it was asking me for the Win 98 product details etc...so I entered them only for explorer to fail before progressing any further.  The situation's been that of the prior paragraph since.

If there's anyone who can offer some help and advice on what to do to sort things out, they would definitely be much appreciated........  :cheers

Thanks in advance guys.

204820[/snapback]

Have you tried more coal........................?

You won't need it tomorrow, it's All Hallow's Eve..........................

How much do you charge for a haunting...................?

Last year, TL walked home from the town carrying an ASDA bag...................

By the time he got home it was full of apples and monkey nuts..................

Have you tried more coal........................?

You won't need it tomorrow, it's All Hallow's Eve..........................

How much do you charge for a haunting...................?

Last year, TL walked home from the town carrying an ASDA bag...................

By the time he got home it was full of apples and monkey nuts..................

204837[/snapback]

Tae the weans stole them off him :lol:

The clue for the cause of the problem is in the name of your operating system.

Windows 98.

It's 2005 now Dave.

Let go of the old century, come and join the rest of us.

Sounds like a rebuild job to me Dave - your OS is f**ked.

The clue for the cause of the problem is in the name of your operating system.

Windows 98.

It's 2005 now Dave.

Let go of the old century, come and join the rest of us.

Sounds like a rebuild job to me Dave - your OS is f**ked.

205082[/snapback]

Thanks Div. Is what I suspected. I've got most of the stuff I need/want on cds anyway. Not sure my PC will be able to handle a new OS though, suspect another visit to Infiniti may be in order, tell them to gut it this time........

Incidentally...I far prefer '98 to shitty XP which is on the machine I'm on here.................

Actually Ching, just checked the CDs - it is SE. Be afraid bud.... :P

Oh yes, and thanks to BvB as well...for digging out his patter from 2001. Again. No beer for you on your birthday............. :P