Installing Another Hard Drive

eric cartman

Have decided to install another hard drive as my main drive is running out of space. I've read many 'help' files but they make me more confused. I don't know where its going wrong.

Reset the jumper to slave on the newer drive but its still not working and the auto detect won't work.

Do i need to get a y splitter for the power to the drive? do i need more cables? do i have to re-assign the drive letter name.

The old drive has been partitioned, does this matter.

Advice please.

I suppose virtual games gie ye a whole lot more satisfaction then the real stuff at Scapa? :rolleyes:

(Which I passed on Sunday...  It looked nice, deserted.)

213369[/snapback]

Rascal :lol: The old place is looking better since Dougie ( bless 'im) took over.

Still a proper grun, better facilities gettin' sorted inside. Quality pitch without waterlogging :o

Should look better on saturday when the Maryhill Margaritas come a visiting.

• 2 weeks later...

When other hard drive was installed XP jammed. It wouldnt load and said remove disks or other media and press any key to restart!!!!!???? then xp loaded up.??? :blink::unsure:

So i removed the pesky disk and it all works fine again but need the new drive to move stuff into. :huh:

I'm now at the point of bashing in the bloody computer with my trusty sledgehammer!

help?

Guest Billy Bart Bhoy

What you should do is put the first hard drive as Master and the second as Slave useing the jumpers on the hard drives, just to make that clear on what has been posted.

If that dont work, put the first hard drive on the end of the chain and the second on the middle and put both jumpers on CS (cable select). The one on the end will act as a Master and the middle on will act as the Slave.

This is assumeing in both case that you go in to your cmos settings and detect the new hard drive, as it may be that you cmos isnt auto detecting the new drive so you must go in to the cmos and set it up and then save your settings then reboot and see if it is now detected.

SATA useing different cables from ATA/IDE so if the IDE 40 Pin cable fits in the chances are that its not a SATA just a regular ATA/IDE, and of couse you do need power in to the new hard drive useing the 4 pin molex plug.