Stop The (trojan) Cavalry

Tennant's Lager

Yesterday, thanks to Stu giving me a very dodgy link looking for a File Transfer Protocol program I ended up getting about a dozen trojans on my computer. Norton did its best to deal with them but the sheer volume of warning messages due to scanning emails that were being sent due to an almost certainly linked, worm infection, meant that I had no real choice but to close the thing off at the power and diconnect the net.

Fearing the worst I closed the machine down and initiated a system restore.

5 attempts and 4 and a half hours later(!), it finally got through to my desktop, where Norton was reporting another Trojan (the Bloodhound.W32.EP one to be specific) had been found. Sadly Norton couldn't remove it but a scan would let me quarantine the 3 buggerated files that were infected.

This morning I've just got round to reinstalling broadband as the drivers & settings went with the system restore.

Basically, just wanted to warn you guys about the virus...and call Stu an arsehole. :P

Yesterday, thanks to Stu giving me a very dodgy link looking for a File Transfer Protocol program I ended up getting about a dozen trojans on my computer.  Norton did its best to deal with them but the sheer volume of warning messages due to scanning emails that were being sent due to an almost certainly linked, worm infection, meant that I had no real choice but to close the thing off at the power and diconnect the net.

Fearing the worst I closed the machine down and initiated a system restore.

5 attempts and 4 and a half hours later(!), it finally got through to my desktop, where Norton was reporting another Trojan (the Bloodhound.W32.EP one to be specific) had been found.  Sadly Norton couldn't remove it but a scan would let me quarantine the 3 buggerated files that were infected.

This morning I've just got round to reinstalling broadband as the drivers & settings went with the system restore.

Basically, just wanted to warn you guys about the virus...and call Stu an arsehole.  :P

218625[/snapback]

Ok Bud......hey Stu.....yer an asshole! :P

The lesson is simple. Stay legit. It may cost money but is saves a lot of time and effort and frustration. And name calling :rolleyes:

218639[/snapback]

I just don't like the fact that on my old machine, I used to be able to upload stuff to my webspace easily with IE...and now, for whatever reason I can't. :wacko: Ended up needing to download an ftp program that ntl recommended, and to continue using it after 30 days I need to fork out £25. Ripping off bastards. :angry:

Aye whatever. Never had a problem with that site, even used it this morning. Must be your PC :P

218660[/snapback]

Aye bollocks, you told me it had nasty stuff on it to look out for. If you'd mentioned the word trojan however I'd have never gone near it, £25 or not. :o

Hanging around sites like that, you're mental..... :lol:

Aye bollocks, you told me it had nasty stuff on it to look out for.  If you'd mentioned the word trojan however I'd have never gone near it, £25 or not.  :o

Hanging around sites like that, you're mental.....  :lol:

218679[/snapback]

It's a search engine, I warned you that one of the sites if you clicked the link on caused problems. The actual search engine site itself is fine :P

just to let you know guys..but my mate..(computer geek and expert)...has informed me that nortons are now officially....shit

it doesnt have the capability to handle all of todays virus's...

he took nortons off my pc and installed ..AVG..anti virus

its a free download from a company called ...grisoft.

also wise to have ...."spyware doctor"