Malt Whiskies

Bill Lees

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda in the same boat as Holly here.........oor Margaret used to work in Grants and every year she gets about 4 bottles from them.Her hoose is full of the stuff.She's 75 and dusnae drink! :blink:

Ye think they'd send her flowers or somethin instead. :angry:

Anyhoo.....if anyone wants to buy some I'll cut ye a really good deal. :wink:

Incidently I was on post number 666 there and had to post something......don't want to tempt fate and all that! :unsure:

1 The Balvennie

2  Highland Park

3  Macallans

4  Glenfiddich

5  Glenmorangie

Not a fan of the Islay's. Speyside rules ok!

219363[/snapback]

Real aquired taste the Islays, very peaty and smokey - Laphroig for instance is very like that , its too smokey for me anyway. :wink:

If you're talking blends then it has to be Black Bottle although maybe too smokey for some.

219426[/snapback]

Black Bottle is definately the best blended ( thats not a deluxe ) that i have ever drank. When i lived in the Highlands it seemed to be the whiskey of choice up there - and i reckon the highlanders know thier whiskies.

Its lovely with a smooth flavour and a wee hint of sweetness.

I was told by the barmaid in the biggest whisky bar on Islay that the only way to drink malt whisky is with a lump of ice.

219388[/snapback]

The woman at the Talisker Distillery on Skye told me that too. I never put water in my whiskey but i like some ice , as it starts to melt it just dilutes the whiskey enough and chills it a little at the same time. :P magic.

Real aquired taste the Islays, very peaty and smokey - Laphroig for instance is very like that , its too smokey for me anyway. :wink:

219528[/snapback]

The whisky from the distilleries on the other side of the island ie Bruichladdich & Bunnahabhain are much less peaty. I worked in Bruichladdich distillery (the most westerly of scottish distilleries) for 2 years so maybe a wee bit of favouritism. Black bottle is produced by the company that own Bunnahabhain (or it was) and is a blend of the Islays.

The whisky from the distilleries on the other side of the island ie Bruichladdich & Bunnahabhain are much less peaty. I worked in Bruichladdich distillery (the most westerly of scottish distilleries) for 2 years so maybe a wee bit of favouritism.  Black bottle is produced by the company that own Bunnahabhain (or it was) and is a blend of the Islays.

219569[/snapback]

That explains it then , i like islays and a glass of black bottle is lovely but i dont like Laphroig(much!). I got a bottle for christmas a couple of years ago an now i 'own' a square foot of Islay ( have the cert to prove it ). Apparently if i go to the distillery with my claim they will lend me wellies , take me out to see my land and give me a free nip. Shame i'm no too kean on the stuff.

Edited by ped

That explains it then , i like islays and a glass of black bottle is lovely but i dont like Laphroig(much!). I got a bottle for christmas a couple of years ago an now i 'own' a square foot of Islay ( have the cert to prove it ). Apparently if i go to the distillery with my claim they will lend me wellies , take me out to see my land and give me a free nip. Shame i'm no too kean on the stuff.

219575[/snapback]

You should go Islay is a great place to relax and get blootered. In the Port Charlotte hotel you can buy almost any malt you can imagine but you can only buy 1 blend and thats Black Bottle. There are a few saints supporters there too.

You should go Islay is a great place to relax and get blootered.  In the Port Charlotte hotel you can buy almost any malt you can imagine but you can only buy 1 blend and thats Black Bottle.  There are a few saints supporters there too.

219576[/snapback]

I'll second that. Islay is a wonderful place for relaxing and chilling out and gettish pished :D

You should go Islay is a great place to relax and get blootered.  In the Port Charlotte hotel you can buy almost any malt you can imagine but you can only buy 1 blend and thats Black Bottle.  There are a few saints supporters there too.

219576[/snapback]

Sounds like a plan, i used to have some friends just outside Cambelltown and got a great view of Jura on nice clear days from thier house near the beach. never been though to any of the Islands there.

I'll second that. Islay is a wonderful place for relaxing and chilling out and gettish pished :D

219577[/snapback]

I have family who stay in Portnahaven which is next to Port Charlotte.I would encourage anyone to visit this area of Islay and sample the fine malts and hospitality.Many a holiday i have enjoyed and even spent my honeymoon there.There are miles of white sandy beaches and as the song goes it really is goodbye to care.Give it a try and im sure you will meet some exciled buds.

219577[/snapback]

I have family who stay in Portnahaven which is next to Port Charlotte.I would encourage anyone to visit this area of Islay and sample the fine malts and hospitality.Many a holiday i have enjoyed and even spent my honeymoon there.There are miles of white sandy beaches and as the song goes it really is goodbye to care.Give it a try and im sure you will meet some exiled buds.

I have family who stay in Portnahaven which is next to Port Charlotte.I would encourage anyone to visit this area of Islay and sample the fine malts and hospitality.Many a holiday i have enjoyed and even spent my honeymoon there.There are miles of white sandy beaches and as the song goes it really is goodbye to care.Give it a try and im sure you will meet some exiled  buds.

219593[/snapback]

Who are your family? I lived in Port charlotte for 15 years but my late wifes family were from Portnahaven.....did you ever play in any of the Port Charlotte - Portnahaven games.