Top 5 Guitarists

EL NOMBRE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. Nile Rogers (Chic)

7. Django Reinhardt (made a career as a guitarist despite having two missing fingers from his fret hand)

8. Steve Howe (Yes)

9. Ry Cooder (for slide guitar if nothing else)

10. Eddie Van Halen (cos it’s his birthday)

6. Nile Rogers (Chic)

7. Django Reinhardt (made a career as a guitarist despite having two missing fingers from his fret hand)

8. Steve Howe (Yes)

9. Ry Cooder (for slide guitar if nothing else)

10. Eddie Van Halen (cos it’s his birthday)

233062[/snapback]

Yeah Django.....good shout! B)

Jeff Healy has to be due a shout as well! This could go on for some time Greig! :wink:

Roddy Frame is excellent. Many people go on about Johnny Marr but Roddy Frame, in my mind, is just as good. The difference is RF plays major chords. :rolleyes:

The Edge is an interesting one. He doesn’t show off great dexterity but there’s no denying his inventiveness with a reverb & delay. Bad has got about two chords and about five notes all in but it’s a great song and it’s drenched in guitar work and sounds fantastic.

He’s not really a one for the shit-hot guitar solos but he’s still a worthy player.

Roddy Frame is excellent. Many people go on about Johnny Marr but Roddy Frame, in my mind, is just as good. The difference is RF plays major chords. :rolleyes:

The Edge is an interesting one. He doesn’t show off great dexterity but there’s no denying his inventiveness with a reverb & delay. Bad has got about two chords and about five notes all in but it’s a great song and it’s drenched in guitar work and sounds fantastic.

He’s not really a one for the shit-hot guitar solos but he’s still a worthy player.

233069[/snapback]

Yeah agree about the Edge....gets a bad press IMO! Who says you have to play x amounts of notes to be regarded as a " player ".I think he has produced some excellent music as has Charlie Burchill with Simple Minds.Roddy Frame is an excellent acoustic player!

mmm El nombre "no stolen from" in this thread I see

A few more,

Brackets to help the weans know who I am referring to

Paul Kossof (Free)

Joe Satriano

Rory Gallagher (sadly dead now Irish blues man)

Wilco Johnson (Dr. Feelgood)

Ted Turner (Wishbone Ash)

Ronnie Montrose (Montrose)

Carlos Santana ( I take it the weans have heard Smooth)

mmm El nombre "no stolen from" in this thread I see

A few more,

Brackets to help the weans know who I am referring to

Paul Kossof  (Free)

Joe Satriano

Rory Gallagher  (sadly dead now Irish blues man)

Wilco Johnson  (Dr. Feelgood)

Ted Turner      (Wishbone Ash)

Ronnie Montrose  (Montrose)

Carlos Santana  ( I take it the weans have heard Smooth)

233072[/snapback]

If yer referring to the P&B thing this is entirely on its own and came from a conversation that Greig and I were having earlier.So felt no need to mention the P&B thread.Although I see what you are driving at!

Rory Gallagher was f**king magic! No bullshit, just that battered old Stratocaster, a bass player and a drummer, heid doon, arse up straight forward boogie & blues. It’s a while now since he died. Still a shame.

A mate of mine went to see Wilko Johnson (at King Tut’s I think) and said he was magic. There was one point where he had the guitar up in his shoulder, pointing at the crowd and he leathered the chords out. Says it looked and sounded like a machine gun.

Different slant.....top 5 Guitarists who really should be dead with the amount of drugs/drink consumed:

1. Keef Richards

2. Eric Clapton

3. Peter Green

4. Slash

5. Lemmy/Duff McKagen (for all you bassists out there)

233078[/snapback]

Ye forgot Nikki Sixx(Motley Crue) who WAS deed....and then came back! :P

Now that whole band should be dead with the amount of stuff they took.

Rory Gallagher was f**king magic! No bullshit, just that battered old Stratocaster, a bass player and a drummer, heid doon, arse up straight forward boogie & blues. It’s a while now since he died. Still a shame.

A mate of mine went to see Wilko Johnson (at King Tut’s I think) and said he was magic. There was one point where he had the guitar up in his shoulder, pointing at the crowd and he leathered the chords out. Says it looked and sounded like a machine gun.

233075[/snapback]

Dr. Feelgood and Wilko are awesome most underestimated ever IMO. Stick the Artic Monkeys on then play Feelgood nae prizes for guessing who would wipe the floor with who :D

Forgot to mention Paul Kossof also sadly dead now.

1. Dave Murray - Iron Maiden (an all time favourite, can't beat that flowing style)

2. Herman Li - DragonForce

3. Sam Totman - DragonForce

(totally OTT fast stuff from both of them which is something to behold when seeing and hearing - if 3 - 4 minute long fretboard shredding solo duels is what you want in a song!!)

4. Luca Turilli - Rhapsody (classicly inspired and fairly unique)

5. Kerry King & Jeff Hannemen - Slayer (neither particularly technical good but work brilliantly together)

Bass Players:

Steve Harris - Maiden

Cliff Burton - Metallica

Shane Embury - Napalm Death

Edited by Thorizaar

233062[/snapback]

Good choice in Django. Many people say he was the greatest ever guitarist and it's amazing he was still as good after loosing two fingers. He was certainly the best exponent of the Hot Club of France Gypsy Jazz sound. He played a guitar made by Maccaferre ( may not have splelt that correctly) notable because of a high string action and the oval hole which was designed to give a particular sound. Django at one time played with the likes of Stepane Grapelli and his own brother (rythm guitar) was also in his band.

Watch the film 'Sweet & Lowdown' starring Sean Penn for a taste of the Django sound.

Probably most famous for performing the song ' Two for Tea'.

Edited by ped