Top 5 Guitarists

EL NOMBRE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't limit myself to five. :) I've split them into era's - guitarists that I think defined Rock('n'Roll) at a particular time and/or influenced bands that were to emerge.

50's

Scotty Moore (Elvis Pressley)

Chuck Berry

Duane Eddy

60's

Bob Dylan

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Byrds

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Robbie Robertson

70's

Dave Gilmour

Tommy Iommi

Eddy Van Halen

80's

Joe Satriani

The Edge

R.E.M.

90's-present

Still some great guitar albums but apart from What's the Story by Oasis who are too close to being a tribute band to be added to the list none have really grabbed the world (OK the UK) by the balls.

What about Nirvana? Again - No. They followed the back to basics blueprint and produced some great music but it had been done before by the MC5, The New York Dolls, The Ramones (& others from '77) and now Green Day.

I can't limit myself to five. :) I've split them into era's - guitarists that I think defined Rock('n'Roll) at a particular time and/or influenced bands that were to emerge.

50's

Scotty Moore (Elvis Pressley)

Chuck Berry

Duane Eddy

233170[/snapback]

Superb Bud, they slipped my mind completely, I dont know why

Different slant.....top 5 Guitarists who really should be dead with the amount of drugs/drink consumed:

1. Keef Richards

233078[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

from irelandonline(?)

Richards loses hellraiser status

Keith Richards fears he has lost his rock 'n' roll swagger, after he failed to make this year's top ten list of celebrities most likely to die.

The Rolling Stones star was once famed for his daily ingestion of copious amounts of cocaine, heroin and Jack Daniel's, but the 62-year-old's slightly less raucous lifestyle has earned him an unwelcome reprieve from website Death List's online hit list.

The rock legend says, "I was really p**sed off when I fell out of the chart.

"Some years I was on it and I was number one. I'm just not rock 'n' roll enough any more."

:P

no mention of slash.

Thor, pardon my ignorance if he's not to your taste, but what did you think of Dimebag?

233102[/snapback]

Not exactly my taste but I liked Pantera up to a point, that point being when they started making abysmal albums, so basically up until "Far Beyond Driven".

As a guitarist I thought he was OK, but as is always the case, him being dead now has resulted in some way over the top tributes and suddenly he's been elevated to one of the greatest and most influential guitarists in metal of all time, which is something he was never seen as before.

I always had a problem with Pantera's way of delivering solos on album, with only the one guitar and no rhythm guitar backing it up. Always felt songs lost momentum during the solos as after all the driving riffs you were hit with a bit with just lead, bass and drums which didn't sound good to me. I guess he has to take some blame from me for that.

As I said, Pantera made a lot of dreadful albums as did his most recent band Damageplan, and I judge guitarists not only on their technical ability but also on the writing and I think he was badly lacking in that respect.

Having said all that, Pantera were the first band I ever saw live so will always remember them for that.

Edited by Thorizaar

1) Francis Dunnery-It Bites/Robert Plant/Lauryn Hill/Ian Brown

233185[/snapback]

Absolutely correct.

3) Steve Rothery-Marillion

233185[/snapback]

:blink:

Nobody has mentioned Mark Knopfler !!

Wether you like Dire Straits or not , that guy is one hell of a guitarist  :wink:

233212[/snapback]

Absolutely correct

As a guitarist I thought he was OK, but as is always the case, him being dead now has resulted in some way over the top tributes and suddenly he's been elevated to one of the greatest and most influential guitarists in metal of all time, which is something he was never seen as before.

233297[/snapback]

That's pretty much what I thought. I don't know Pantera's stuff that well and know sod all of Damageplan, but the fact he's dead, and the way he was killed, I kind of expected that to happen. Oh well.

Other top axemen:-

Stanley Clarke

Scott Gorham/Brian Robertson (the came as a duo - OOER missus!)

Julian Breem

John Williams

Robert Johnson

Oh, did I mention Jimmy Page? And Pete Townshend?