Top Five Films

slickmuir1987

Fair enough, but it's not really the after effects that are covered in the film, it's the direct effect of the act itself. I think there are a great number of people who do not appreciate why there are such after effects. I do concede though that those people are unlikely to be into French cinema.

246286[/snapback]

Aye, but they might enjoy page 3 in The Sun...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like BB I found it disturbing and have no desire whatsoever to see it again. However I would argue that it has extremely powerful artistic merit, in fact I suspect that more than any other movie scene I have seen, I felt exactly the emotions, and experienced the reaction that the director was trying to get across. I do not believe for a second that it was included, or shot in the way that it was, for glorification or titilation, and as such I would say that my own awareness of the horrific nature of rape was heightened - if only because I was being forced not to shut it out of my mind.

246257[/snapback]

Very well put.

I'd agree that was exacty what the director was getting at.

There was a point in the rape scene when a bypasser see's the attack, at a distance, and walks on without getting involved. No glorification no cheap thrills, just the horrible cold reality of an innocent being overcome by an aggressor. I can't remember any other discussion on rape ever making such an impact.

Who started this discussion in the first place .....

Very well put.

I'd agree that was exacty what the director was getting at.

There was a point in the rape scene when a bypasser see's the attack, at a distance, and walks on without getting involved. No glorification no cheap thrills, just the horrible cold reality of an innocent being overcome by an aggressor. I can't remember any other discussion on rape ever making such an impact.

Who started this discussion in the first place  .....

246376[/snapback]

I'm not sure. I've been trying to shut it out... :(

1. Erasure Head - A really weird movie.

2. fear & loathing in las vegas - i hated it. every moment of it.

3. Apocalipse Now - Totally off the wall - Brando - Sheen, losing thier minds and thier morality in a lord of the flies for grown ups type story set in the drug haze of the Vietman War. AND the doors on the soundtrack !!

4. Open your eyes. Original spanish version of Vanilla skies , stangely enough also starring Ms Cruz. Pretty good too.

5. Mulholland Drive - weird Mr Lynch again

6. The secretary - bit of masochism .... or is it sadism ...... :huh:

243694[/snapback]

And i just remembered this one --

'The Cook , the Thief , his wife and her lover ' - weird erotic cannibalistic tale of ....f**k knows whit ! - but ye get to see a fit helen mirren inflagrante delecti.

And i just remembered this one --

'The Cook , the Thief , his wife and her lover ' - weird erotic cannibalistic tale of ....f**k knows whit ! - but ye get to see a fit helen mirren inflagrante delecti.

246891[/snapback]

Ye see her getting shagged in the lavvy as well. :lol:

Dune - what the fúck was THAT all about? :blink:

PS please don't answer, I really don't want to know :rolleyes:

248676[/snapback]

Dune is the best Science Fiction novel of all time and altho' opinions are split on the fillum (directed by David Lynch) I think it's an amazing work.

The first four books in the trilogy are excellent altho' the fifth Chapter House: Dune is dissapointing. There are a number of prequels written by Frank Herbert's (Dune's author) son, but I've not read any of these.

I've always been amazed at how many similarities there are between Dune and Star Wars, but IMO what makes Dune stand out amongst SF literature are the detail and logic in the novels.

Dune also answers the BIG SCI-FI QUESTION: With technology having advanced so far why does control of the universe always boil down to a sword fight?

Read the four books Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune. Watch the movie. Be Awestruck!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Dune is the best Science Fiction novel of all time and altho' opinions are split on the fillum (directed by David Lynch) I think it's an amazing work.

The first four books in the trilogy are excellent altho' the fifth Chapter House: Dune is dissapointing. There are a number of prequels written by Frank Herbert's (Dune's author) son, but I've not read any of these.

I've always been amazed at how many similarities there are between Dune and Star Wars, but IMO what makes Dune stand out amongst SF literature are the detail and logic in the novels.

Dune also answers the BIG SCI-FI QUESTION: With technology having advanced so far why does control of the universe always boil down to a sword fight?

Read the four books Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune. Watch the movie. Be Awestruck!

248806[/snapback]

I thought I told you not to answer :rolleyes:

Leonard Shelby killed his wife (unless you're incredibly intuitive, this is only really obvious from watching Memento chronologically via the "easter egg" on the DVD)...Sammy Jankis was a fictitious and surrogate depiction of the reality of Shelby's life)

249125[/snapback]

I thought you could tell that just by the expression on his face at the end of the film and the way he said "Now, where were we?". Fúckin' good film, that.