Old Grammarians

aber 87

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeesus! Came onto the forum to post my thoughts on today's game and spotted this thread going on down the page. Hadn't seen it before. Seems to be a number of OGs in the house.

I was at the PGS from 71-77 and the posts unlocked a whole series of memories:

Titsy and chalk marks :blink:

Fanny Calvert - in her 90s apparently and still stoatin' about - I remember if you went to the first aid room with a head-ache she always wanted you to loosen your trouers :huh:

RYC - that photo was just too scary :ph34r: - belted me himself

Selling the school - that was a guy called Brian Horsburgh and one of his mates whose name escapes me - Brian's twin brothers were in my year

Jimmy Dunbar - rogue with infeasibly hairy Kirk Douglas style hole in his chin

Roddy Gardener - haven't given him a moments thought for over thirty years! Arrogant wee twat who taught Chemistry, I now recall <_<

Joe Gilroy - another arrogant wee twat - did he not used to play/coach the soapdodgers? Whoever it was that posted that he had pissed him off by nutmegging him - well done! :lol:

M Haggerty - just arrived as I was leaving and has just retired - very scary man - he used to be referred to as Merve the Perve. Just as well they didn't have "disclosure" checks in those days :(

The name I didn't see on the other posts was Spaz Campbell. He was a fearsome teuchter English Teacher who didn't suffer fools (ie me) gladly but was probably the smartest teacher I ever knew. Wonder what happened to him??

I could go on but I am already way too close to turning this into some kinda Friends Reunited crap.

Fifesaint, were either of the mental classics teachers still at PGS when you were there - Andy Dunn and Laurie (Limpalong) Lennox ?

Ah now, I think Dunn may still have been there for one year - kind of old gay thespian type with swept back hair, a bit like that bloke Brian Sewell?

The two guys I recall were a Mr Robertson (young with 70s facial hair) and a wee baldy old guy with a high pitched nasal voice called Mr Robb who tried to teach Ancient Greek rather than that other really handy language, Latin.

Ah now, I think Dunn may still have been there for one year - kind of old gay thespian type with swept back hair, a bit like that bloke Brian Sewell?

The two guys I recall were a Mr Robertson (young with 70s facial hair) and a wee baldy old guy with a high pitched nasal voice called Mr Robb who tried to teach Ancient Greek rather than that other really handy language, Latin.

All that ranting fails to detract from the fact that you're a Gr*mm*r Butty Boy................

I`m afraid that I went to Stanely Green for about 6 months(1978) then my maw and paw decided to upsticks and move out into the countryside , ie: Erskine! and finished my schooling at the wonderful Park Mains High School. But my claim to fame is that I went to the best primary school in the entire universe.......LANGCRAIGS. We were so cool, we had our own school song. Everybody sing now "Langcraigs school grey gold and blue.........." :D

I`m afraid that I went to Stanely Green for about 6 months(1978) then my maw and paw decided to upsticks and move out into the countryside , ie: Erskine! and finished my schooling at the wonderful Park Mains High School. But my claim to fame is that I went to the best primary school in the entire universe.......LANGCRAIGS. We were so cool, we had our own school song. Everybody sing now "Langcraigs school grey gold and blue.........." :D

We used tae kick f'ck oot the Stanley Green fannies :boxing

The name I didn't see on the other posts was Spaz Campbell. He was a fearsome teuchter English Teacher who didn't suffer fools (ie me) gladly but was probably the smartest teacher I ever knew. Wonder what happened to him??

Too true, Fife - a brilliant, brilliant English teacher - at least on a par with McCamley. As a gaelic-speaking Teuchter, he'd had to learn English before he could teach it, but he was unrivalled in his ability to fire you with enthusiasm for English literature. Remember he used to say things like "Haff you read any Gerard Manley-Hopkins ?" We'd all shake our heads. "Oh, you're lucky. You haff that pleasure to come." Never did understand why he was known as Spazz.

Too true, Fife - a brilliant, brilliant English teacher - at least on a par with McCamley. As a gaelic-speaking Teuchter, he'd had to learn English before he could teach it, but he was unrivalled in his ability to fire you with enthusiasm for English literature. Remember he used to say things like "Haff you read any Gerard Manley-Hopkins ?" We'd all shake our heads. "Oh, you're lucky. You haff that pleasure to come." Never did understand why he was known as Spazz.

We heard he was known as Spazz for his continuous wearing of a bandage on his wrist and for his forever tampering with it ( bandage ). But a tremendous teacher :blink: