Old Grammarians

aber 87

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember rightly boys Stanely and Camphill used to merge together and go down to St Alreds and knock fcuk out of them.( except you of course Wullie!) :wink:

That's true.That did happen from time to time.We used to then ALL fire down the town and kick the shit out of the Grammar boys. :lol::lol:

I have two distinct memories of that basturd....

When I broke my right ankle, left collarbone and bent my spine in a trampoline accident on Friday 13th April 1984 just before my Highers, Corbett told me to my face that I had done it deliberately to avoid sitting exams. I laughed in his face and said if that were true I would have done it after St Mirren had played in the Scottish Cup Semi-Final against C*lt*c and not the night before.

When I took a phone call at my parents home from a former head boy who was in the same year as my sister and he told me "bad news I'm afraid Mr Corbett has passed away" - I told him hang on a minute while I lie down on the floor and proceed to laugh my socks off and then 5 minutes later I told the caller that was the best news I had received in ages!

When did the bugger snuff it then ?

He really was an unmitigated tyrant. Remember how he used to lurk in the Memorial Hall at period changeovers waiting to catch any poor sod that went the wrong way round the balcony?

When did the bugger snuff it then ?

He really was an unmitigated tyrant. Remember how he used to lurk in the Memorial Hall at period changeovers waiting to catch any poor sod that went the wrong way round the balcony?

I think it was about 10 years ago Bill (if not longer).

He was one vicious bugger. How he was never charged with assault, I'll never know. :angry:

He did, however, once come very close to a boot in the nadgers from my faither, after a particularly vicious knuckle rap on the nut to yours truly.

Edited by Herbie

Anyone remember Doc.McCallum from Camphill.

He used tae make ye salute the Queen every time ye entered the class( He had a big poster of Liz up on the wall).Then you had to neatly fold yer Blazers and put them on the bench in front of you.This would have been magic if ye fancied a career in Burtons,but was feck all use to the rest of us. :P

Later on he was put away....but I'm not going into that on here. :ph34r:

Miss McKinnon aka MiniMac - (French) - totally crazy woman who would often disappear during our lessons to "get some books" and come back hoaching of booze and fags.

Hate to be picky, Yflab but was it not Miss McIntyre that was Minmac? Old Enid had a 60 a day habit and a liking for the gin. Certainly allowed her to cultivate a rasping French accent that went with her strawberry blonde rinse. Scary!! :o

Hate to be picky, Yflab but was it not Miss McIntyre that was Minmac? Old Enid had a 60 a day habit and a liking for the gin. Certainly allowed her to cultivate a rasping French accent that went with her strawberry blonde rinse. Scary!! :o

It definitely was Miss MacIntyre. She is imprinted on my memory as she told me, in her O level class that "you won't be back next year of course, Lees". I thought "I'll show you you old ratbag", and promptly went and got a grade A in the O level. The look on her face on the first day of the Higher French class when she clocked me was priceless.

On the other languages front, do you remember Frau U'Prichard ? Totally brilliant German teacher with a wonderful sense of humour - a really lovely woman.

Seeyou were born in 72, i was fortunate enough that abercorn hadn't shut by the time i left. gibson?

yup, had p6 and p7 in gallowhill after they binned abercorn.

building's an accountants now, be interesting to have a wander around, probably divided in to battery compartments for accountants.

• 2 weeks later...

On the other languages front, do you remember Frau U'Prichard ? Totally brilliant German teacher with a wonderful sense of humour - a really lovely woman.

Bill,

Sad to relate that Mrs U's death notice appeared in The Herald 4 or 5 weeks ago.