Pc Help Required

Guest jav-smfc

Guest jav-smfc

Right, firstly I am hopeless with pc's so please excuse any stupidity in advance.

Running a kinda old system comprising of P800Mhz, 8gb hd, 128mb ram with windows 2000 pro.

Everything was running brilliant until I got broadband (thru pipex). Now my system boots up then just gets slower and slower until nothing. It connects to the internet for about 2mins before it chucks it. Keep getting alsorts of things flashing up then disappearing and ive also now got a sudoku puzzle which i never downloaded. (Spyware?)

Anyway (getting to the point now) what i need to know is how do I format my hard drive and start again? I've got the windows 2000 disc (but no serial key :( )

Any help would be appreciated fellow buds!

PS. I wish today was saturday cos i cant wait for the party!!! :wink:

Right, firstly I am hopeless with pc's so please excuse any stupidity in advance.

Running a kinda old system comprising of P800Mhz, 8gb hd, 128mb ram with windows 2000 pro.

Everything was running brilliant until I got broadband (thru pipex). Now my system boots up then just gets slower and slower until nothing. It connects to the internet for about 2mins before it chucks it. Keep getting alsorts of things flashing up then disappearing and ive also now got a sudoku puzzle which i never downloaded. (Spyware?)

Anyway (getting to the point now) what i need to know is how do I format my hard drive and start again? I've got the windows 2000 disc (but no serial key :( )

Any help would be appreciated fellow buds!

PS. I wish today was saturday cos i cant wait for the party!!! :wink:

Certainly sounds like a case of Ad/Spyware or even a virus. If I were you I'd make sure you have likes of Spybot S&D, Ad Aware & Norton etc on your machine with the most up-to-date definitions possible and give it a thorough going over with a bunch of scans, after the obligatory deletion of all your temp internet files & cookies.

If that's not an option or doesn't work...might be time to start over again but don't quote me on it, I'm not exactly a wizard with these kinda problems... :ph34r:

Good luck anyway bud.

Guest jav-smfc

Certainly sounds like a case of Ad/Spyware or even a virus. If I were you I'd make sure you have likes of Spybot S&D, Ad Aware & Norton etc on your machine with the most up-to-date definitions possible and give it a thorough going over with a bunch of scans, after the obligatory deletion of all your temp internet files & cookies.

If that's not an option or doesn't work...might be time to start over again but don't quote me on it, I'm not exactly a wizard with these kinda problems... :ph34r:

Good luck anyway bud.

cheers TL.... Will try that but to be honest my system wont even give me enough time to start lookin for any of that without it crashing, do you know how I could just format it and start again?

thanks again btw!

cheers TL.... Will try that but to be honest my system wont even give me enough time to start lookin for any of that without it crashing, do you know how I could just format it and start again?

thanks again btw!

No problem...but sadly that's where my expertise runs dry... :ph34r:

There'll be plenty others that can help you out better tho. :)

Guest jav-smfc

No problem...but sadly that's where my expertise runs dry... :ph34r:

There'll be plenty others that can help you out better tho. :)

Nice one mate, really appreciate your help anyway

Roll on Saturday.......... :D

If you are going to use broadband best to get a full Internet Security system rather than just an anti-virus product. They filter out all the shite you can get via broadband before the problem actually hits you.

Always a good eye to read your email online before downloading it into your outlook.

Dell direct has some good deals on PC's at the moment. Sometimes better to start from scratch once you been hit!

And avoid downloading freeware like Adaware or anything recommeded on the anti-virus techy sites - they're often the worst source of problems.

Edited by ST SID

And most importantly of all- don't use Internet explorer as your browser- it has more holes than Blackburn Lancashire.

Get Firefox, it's free, and it's here.

I have never had any problems since I started using firefox. :D

AS for redoing the Windows 2000, unless you have all the system drivers and know what you're doing I would advise against it.

TBH your 126MB of memeory ain't helping here.

Sid's correct- if you can splash some cash Dell have some great deals on

Clicky

Guest jav-smfc

Cheers for the help folks, decided to re-install windows (although a new pc is on the cards in the next couple of months. Firewall and Anti-Virus taken care off and Firefox installed (much more stable now)

Thanks again for your help!

(Is it not saturday yet :ph34r: I feel like a wee guy the night before santa visits!)

c'mon the saints

smtid