Top Five Gigs

JC87

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was sited behind the current station entrance round about where the steps are, up to the new shopping bit I think, Dunno about it being a replcement for the dreamland gig, but it was their first solo tour after they fell oot wae the Clash, after the P.A. fiasco, never done any of them much harm in the long term, Although there was allways some slight ill feeling after that.

There was a big Chuff Chuff station as well as the underground............

stekc9.png

bobby reid ( no not that one }colapsed pished onto the front of the stage and lay there for a few minutes , before crawling through the crowd to the back of the hall

the look on paul wellers face a picture :o

they walked off stage at one point as well, if my memory serves me correctly, because the lighting rig packed in. One of my mate Chads' claims to fame, is that Weller shoved him out the way on his way back on, as did Johnny Rotten on another occasion, but I'll save that one for another day.

Guest The Buckmaster

My top 5 gigs are:

1. The Delgados, Glasgow Garage, October 2000

2. Mogwai, La Laiterie, Strasbourg, June 2003

3. Slayer, Edinburgh Playhouse, September 1988

4. Supergrass, T in the Park, July 1995

5. Ash, Boardwalk, Manchester, July 1995

Cheers

The Buckmaster

Guest mynameisearl

1-Radiohead, Meadowbank Stadium, Aug 2006

2- Paul McCartney, Glastonbury 2004

3- REM, Glastonbury 2003

4- Ocean Colour Scene, Dundee Caird Hall 1999

5- The Flaming Lips, Glastonbury 2003

• 2 weeks later...

Rod Stewart and the Faces: Paisley Town Hall

Frank Ifield: The Regal Cinema

Black Sabbath: Renfrew YMCA

The Barron Knights: The Normandy

Shakin Stevens & The Sunsets: TUC Club

Ye missed oot The Who and Jimi Hendrix at Paisley ice rink (a real gig), btw, Frank Ifield is doing a duet wae Johnny Rotten soon, called "I Remember You Ya Bastard" :P I'll get ma jaiket............

1) Iron Maiden, Omnisports De Bercy, Paris, Sept 1999.

2) Any Napalm Death gig.

3) Lost Horizon, Wacken Open Air, 2001.

4) Marduk, Arena, Glasgow, c1996

5) Bolt Thrower, Soundhaus, Glasgow, April 2006

Were you at the Napalm Death gig about 11-12 years ago when someone stage-dived from the top of the speakers/amps...he was too high so the crowd moved out the way and didn't catch him. :lol: Head first onto the floor!

Edited by Irate-Pirate

Therapy? - Tom Tom Club Prague 1994

Killing Joke - the QM Glasgow 1982

The Skids - The Bungalow Paisley 1980

U2 - Tiffany's Ballroom Glasgow 1982

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry - Daddy Warbucks Glasgow 1984

Yaldi

the Skids at the bunglaow was the best gig in the history of the universe

well said that man was anyone else there- and (long shot) anyone got any pix

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

There must be a thread worth a top five worst gigs.

The WORST gig I saw was The Saw Doctors, last Satuday night @ Barrowlands. The place was full of JJJs, all kidding on they knew the words to every song, when in fact, they (sort of) knew the choruses and threw lots of beer containers into the crowd.

Two highlights for me, one when I couldn't be bothered pushing through the manky cnuts, I pished into my empty plastic glass and lobbed it into a throng of pogo-ing, hooped tops. The second was whilst walking up Regent St. towards Central Station with Ms SFS and passed three or four guys, who on seeing the St.Mirren badge on my coat, burst into a very loud rendition of 'Oh when the Saints' as they walked off in the opposite direction.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Peter Gabriel - Madison Square Garden, November 2002

2. Alice Cooper - SECC, December '89

3. AC/DC - SECC, December 2000

4. James - Barrowlands, March '97

5. T in the Park '99

The above is just an approximation. It will probably change tomorrow.

Pink Floyd... Earls Court 1994 very special

Def Leppard.....Edinburgh Playhouse 1987. What a year. Leppard are the loudest band I have ever heard. Too loud. And Saints won the cup !

Lindisfarne ... Glasgow Apollo what an entertaining band good music and lots of laughs.

Horslips and Thin Lizzy..... Glasgow Apollo 1976 Lizzy were a great band however I was right into Horslips at the time and still am.

B52''s Mirage Hotel Las Vegas

Biggest Surprise gig

Green Jelly Cathouse Glasgow....What a off the cuff fukin gig. I did not want to go but my mate talked me round to going.Green jelly as it turned out were not a serious band. It was a rock touring theatre. Whoever thought it up most have been on some serious drugs

Biggest Surprise gig

Green Jelly Cathouse Glasgow....What a off the cuff fukin gig. I did not want to go but my mate talked me round to going.Green jelly as it turned out were not a serious band. It was a rock touring theatre. Whoever thought it up most have been on some serious drugs

Took my little bro' and one of his mates to see Madness as a birthday present during Oct' 81. They (Madness) were resplendant in Brown DM's, kilts and string vests. Wasn't really looking forward to it but they put on a great show and have always had a soft spot for them since.

I cant think of a top 5, but in the last couple of months i've seen

The View - fantastic, couldn't understand a word they said but still worth seeing

The Feeling - an absolute revelation would see them again any time

The Killers - Superb!

Snow Patrol - Amazing, they played a brilliant mix of old and new - crowd were crap tho! they deserved a much better reception than they recieved

and next year Liverpoolbud and i have got tickets for The Fratellis and Razorlight altho dont think LB wants to see Razorlight really!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My 1970s selection for old gits everywhere:

The Who - Parkhead, Summer 1974

Highlight: Keith Moon's drumming - just awesome, Townsend's white jump suit and SAHB support set.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Glasgow Apollo, Christmas 1975

Highlight: One of the seven(!) sold out nights and Cheek to Cheek with polystyrene snow falling from above the stage - heaven, I'm in heaven etc etc

The Clash - Glasgow Apollo, December 1977

Highlight: Some of the band (Jones/Simonon?) arrested outside in side alley, trying to break up a fight - supposed to have led to the B-side "Jail Guitar Doors" being written? Or was it "The Prisoner"?

The Ramones - Glasgow QMU, 1978

Highlight: Talking to Dee Dee (kinda) - Hey Dee Dee! - Yeah? - You awright? - Yeah!

The Jam - Strathclyde Union, Autumn 1978

Highlight: The "Apocalypse Tour" with Paul Weller adolescent jump kicks and ferocious guitar playing

Yaldi

the Skids at the bunglaow was the best gig in the history of the universe

well said that man was anyone else there- and (long shot) anyone got any pix

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just seen this after the post above.

I was at the Bungalow that night - incredible gig - packed out. Had the Skids not just played on the roof of HMV in Glasgow to mark its opening?

Recently saw Richard Jobson standing on the platform in Inverkeithing station but didn't have the brassneck to go up and ask him if he remembered that gig!

I also recall seeing the "Dead Pop Stars" era Altered Images and, I think, Josef K at the Bungalow.

Rock'n'roll - phew!