Top 5 Saints Games That Weren't Cup Finals

JC87

1. 6-2 v. Hearts 1st game of season mideighties

2. 4-1 v. Rangers Big Dougie Somner Hattrick

3. 3-1 v.Slavia Prague a.e.t.

4. 4-3 v.Morton 1987 Cup (in the Morton end with Soapdodging mate and Baseball bat !)

5. 4-1 v.Dundee Utd. Scot Cup Fergies Furies :D

No particular order

Probably should make it top 50

post-2723-1159565328.gif

Dumbarton 1 St Mirren 2 1972 10000 at game.

R*ngers 1 St Mirren 4 1972 Ally MacLeod

Bolton 2 St Mirren 1 Anglo-Scottish Cup Jimmy Bone's winner.

C*ltic 1 St Mirren 2 Beckett's winner

Dundee 0 St Mirren 4 19th April 1977

I'd rule out league clinchers against Raith (99/00) and Dundee last season too.

For sheer relief the one game that sticks out is away to Stirling Albion in the penultimate game of the 97/98 season. Altho' we had the bulk of possesion there was very little confidence in the team (we'd been on a truly calamitous run of form) and every time Albion got within 30 yards of goal we were wetting ourselves. Hugh Murray's goal saved us that season - a final day victory at Den's Park against an already promoted Dundee made the final margin over the relegated teams look large but believe me that was a close call.

Other games, the late comeback against Dundee Utd (April 2001) Ricky Gillies double!

1999/2000 the season of late winners - TT's against ICT. Either of Paul McKnight's that season!

Last season's semi-final against Morton or CA's winner against QoTS.

Talking of 3-2 victories against Morton what about 99/00 when we held on with 10 men after going a goal behind!

Any time you beat the OF altho' I was living in England last time we beat either of them.

Oooops - that's more than 5 games, but all of them were special IMO!

Winning the league at Scumdee 77................

The 2 x 2-1 wins at C*lt*c Park in the same season............

The Kenny McDowall 1-0 at Hunsville.................

4-1 Dundee Hibs 77..................

The Inverness Party, how pish was Stranraer a few months ago in comparison................?

Mine are kinda shiters compared to the rest as I am still reasonably young. In no particular order

1-0 away Stirling Albion - (Hugh Murray winner that more or less kept us up, just out of the sheer relief after the game

3-0 away Morton - (Not sure what year, they had just been promoted and were flying high and already humped us 4-1 first time round at Love Street. It was the first time I'd been to Cappelow and in all honesty I expected us to get f*cked. Yards got a double and Basher scored a peach!!)

1-0 home Falkirk - (2000 title winning seasons mcknights late winner)

2-1 away Ayr - (2000 promotion clinching game)

3-2 away Morton - (2001 League Cup when we were 2-0 and somehow managed to pull it back and Big Yards got the winner in the last minute of ET.)

For sheer relief the one game that sticks out is away to Stirling Albion in the penultimate game of the 97/98 season. Altho' we had the bulk of possesion there was very little confidence in the team (we'd been on a truly calamitous run of form) and every time Albion got within 30 yards of goal we were wetting ourselves. Hugh Murray's goal saved us that season - a final day victory at Den's Park against an already promoted Dundee made the final margin over the relegated teams look large but believe me that was a close call.

I was just thinking about that one the other day. I think, when I look back, that that was the darkest season I've ever known. It's widely accepted that had Saints gone down then the chances are the club would've folded. Then there was all the off field stuff with Brealy as well. It can't be underlined enough how important Shuggie's goal was that day and the celebrations, of which there were plenty, were justthrough sheer relief than anything else.

By the way, Bud, the Dundee game was at Love St. :)

1999/2000 the season of late winners - TT's against ICT.

And that was against Raith. :D

Top five for me:-

1. 3-0 v. Slavia Prague

2. 2-1 Scottish Cup semi v. Hearts

3. 1-0 v. Falkirk season 1999/2000 (we clinched the league that day as far as I'm concerned)

4. 1-0 v. Rangers in '89

5. 3-0 v. Celtic in '90, the 5 quid bet day.

3-0 Slavia Prague(Brilliant performance and atmosphere)

2-1 Elfsborg(Saints 1st ever European game)

4-2 v Sellic(Came back from 0-2)

4-4 Falkirk(I was 20 mins late and there were fans leaving as I entered)

2-2 Clydebank(Merry Xmas :santa )

4-0 v Dundee at home early 76-77 , looking back I think this was the game when folk realised that Fergie was creating something special !

4-1 v **** in 1980, particularly the moment when JB crossed and Stevens and Somner collided with the Girvan Shitehouse :) , ball in the net , McCloy in a bloody heap and Stevens in an ambulance ! :D

5-2 v Dundee at Dens in the early 80s when Scanlon ran riot !

6-3 v the unwashed New Years day '77 , big Tam McNeill ran towards us and worked it up us when Mark McGhee scored early but Big Tam never showed his face in Baillies for weeks afterwards . :lol:

3-0 v 'Well at Fir Park in 1977 , it was only 6 months after they had booted us off the park in an infamous Scottish cup tie at the same ground , our young stars showed that day that they had come of age ! :wink: