Play Mehmet

Mehmet is crap, simple as that. He's had 2 full seasons to scoe goals and he scored 4, how sensational.

If it wasn't for Mehmet and we actually signed someone who knew what a goal was we might be much further up the table.

He scores a tap in and all of a sudden he's God...Have you all lost the plot?

I'm not a mehmet fan but thought he played well yesterdya and he has scored inportant goals for us. At least he tapped one in Kean had an easier tap in and failed.

he should just have a weekly target of 'another one' - start having a bit of a selfish attitude in front of goals, make sure its him that the chances are falling to, that he's in the right position when the ball comes off the keeper. try telling ally mccoist 'theres no I in team' and he'll tell you how many goals he's got! thats the sort of attitude all strikers should have, especially when they play in a team with very few other scoring options...

note the commentary on the BBC highlights - 'burke almost joined the elite list of players who have actually scored for st mirren this season'

can we name all three?

Billy Mehmet is a good footballer. He isn't a natural goalscorer though. He holds the ball up well, has a good first touch, a decent delivery and rarely gives the ball away. He would make an excellent attacking midfielder for us...

But cant you realise is prowess in the air?He is amazing in the air and you cannot deny it.He gets stick here because hes tanned and english but no one ever complains about KEANO KEANO who in my eyes is better than Kenny Miller.

BTW Why isnt Smith in the Scotland line up?Hes better than Craig Gordon by 2 countries of a mile.

Do you agree?

Now , For any children watching, this is an example of what drugs can do, JUST SAY NO!!

Come on smfcfan, i like big Mehmet, and kean, and i think smudger will be a great keeper in time (still very young for a keeper ) but your comments are perhaps somewhat skewed by your black and white tinted glasses?

:blink:

Or, is your post a superb example of sarcastic,ironic humour ..... and i`m the only one not getting the joke! :huh:

But cant you realise is prowess in the air?He is amazing in the air and you cannot deny it.He gets stick here because hes tanned and english but no one ever complains about KEANO KEANO who in my eyes is better than Kenny Miller.

BTW Why isnt Smith in the Scotland line up?Hes better than Craig Gordon by 2 countries of a mile.

Do you agree?

you are the first person to bring up that as a reason for billy getting stick - most people judge him on his playing ability, or lack thereof...

yes, they do - he's a reasonable player who gives 100%, but in the harsh reality of the football world, most people can see he's a bit out of his depth at SPL level

No

Actually he's not out of his league in the SPL .....as a striker Yes I agree and the problem is thats where we have been playing him. But as a football player the guy actually has a good first touch and a bit of skill as well as he gets past men and lays the ball off well to others in and around the goal.

I've been saying for a long time that Mehmet should be playing behind 2 strikers and linking them with the midfield.

Technically the guy is a very good player...time we started using him in the position he's best at and stop looking for goals from him.....he is def not a striker.

Dont even try to argue.First touch is sublime and better than Bergkamps IMHO.AMAZING in the air and wins every header.Extreme pace.And give him a chance and he will score.

Do you agree?

Think my sarcasm-o-meter exploded when I read this.

Clearly taking the piss. As you can see from his other posts...

When is the last time you saw Mehmet have a decent chance at goal?Everytime he does he will score.Simple as that.And the wondergoal against Derby also showed that you cant give him space as hell unleash a rocket of a shot.Most people here moan at him not scoring but he has tremendous stamina that not even Gattuso can manage and is the player that never gives up and terrifies every defender in the league.

Actually he's not out of his league in the SPL .....as a striker Yes I agree and the problem is thats where we have been playing him. But as a football player the guy actually has a good first touch and a bit of skill as well as he gets past men and lays the ball off well to others in and around the goal.

I've been saying for a long time that Mehmet should be playing behind 2 strikers and linking them with the midfield.

Technically the guy is a very good player...time we started using him in the position he's best at and stop looking for goals from him.....he is def not a striker.

:blink::blink::lol:<_<

I don't believe what I'm reading here.

Did no-one go and watch Mehmet play against Falkirk and Kilmarnock, to pick two games this season, not to mention the past two seasons?!

He was awful in both, gave the ball away almost every time he had it, never won a header, and was pushed off the ball every time a player came near him.

In both games we created a hell of a lot of chances, particularly with crosses into the box, and where was Mehmet? Most of the time he wasn't even in the box, and if he was, he was shying away and letting other players have a go, other players that weren't there because they weren't playing up front.

In the Kilmarnock game, O'Donnell, McGinn and Birchall had more attempts at goal than Mehmet did, not to mention the rest.

I'm sorry, but he is just not good enough at this level. Why we persist in playing him up front time and time again is beyond me.

He scored on Saturday but that was against a Gretna team who would do well to compete in this year's First Divison (as would we actually).

Fair enough, he might work better as a link-up player from the midfield, but even at that his inability to go forwards with the ball at times would hinder him. I'd be willing to give him a go behind the strikers but I fear he'd just be another midfielder we do not need, especially now we have Molloy coming back from injury, and the likes of McGinn who I think fully deserves his chance in the team ahead of Mehmet.

:blink::blink::lol:<_<

I don't believe what I'm reading here.

Did no-one go and watch Mehmet play against Falkirk and Kilmarnock, to pick two games this season, not to mention the past two seasons?!

He was awful in both, gave the ball away almost every time he had it, never won a header, and was pushed off the ball every time a player came near him.

In both games we created a hell of a lot of chances, particularly with crosses into the box, and where was Mehmet? Most of the time he wasn't even in the box, and if he was, he was shying away and letting other players have a go, other players that weren't there because they weren't playing up front.

In the Kilmarnock game, O'Donnell, McGinn and Birchall had more attempts at goal than Mehmet did, not to mention the rest.

I'm sorry, but he is just not good enough at this level. Why we persist in playing him up front time and time again is beyond me.

He scored on Saturday but that was against a Gretna team who would do well to compete in this year's First Divison (as would we actually).

Fair enough, he might work better as a link-up player from the midfield, but even at that his inability to go forwards with the ball at times would hinder him. I'd be willing to give him a go behind the strikers but I fear he'd just be another midfielder we do not need, especially now we have Molloy coming back from injury, and the likes of McGinn who I think fully deserves his chance in the team ahead of Mehmet.

Um, did big Billy not score the winner against Falkirk? :huh:

Well said that man. :)

You guys are shocking! You have been slating Billy Mehmet for 2 seasons now! He then scores one goal and you are all rating him. Technically he is very good but as a striker he is baws. Might be a good target man when Dargo is fit.

He is defo not as good as the following

Eddie Gallagher

Barry Lavety

Paul McKnight

Steven McGarry

JNR Mendes

Martin Cameron

i could go on.

However maybe he is just one of these strikers that lacks confidence. We shall wait and see. I hope he scores a power but i don't see it happening.

Mehmet has the makings of a good target man. He can hold the ball up, has a good touch and can win headers. He may not score many goals but when he does they are important ones.

I remember a game the season we won the First Division when we were away to Clyde and Mehmet played behind Kean and Sutton and that was a fantastic display from him. Unfortunately that is not the way Gus is playing it. Possibly when Dargo is fit or if Dargo gets fit we could play Mehmet just behind Dargo and kean for games like Gretna or Falkirk or Caley.

He lacks pace, he fails to use his considerable height and bulk to his advantage, he regularly gives possession away, leads the line poorly and has a dreadful games/goals ratio playing up front. Surely if he would make such a good midfielder our management team, who work with him every day, would have spotted this and acted accordingly i.e. played him there in reserve games/bounce games to see if he can do a job and if so, stick him in the middle and bring in another striker...!

...or am I talking too much sense :blink:

Dont even try to argue.First touch is sublime and better than Bergkamps IMHO.AMAZING in the air and wins every header.Extreme pace.And give him a chance and he will score.

Do you agree?

I agree that Mehmet is a good player but i don't feel he is an out and out Striker.

I think that the way he plays would b more suited to a midfield role maybe just off the forwards.

Does anyone agree?

Now , For any children watching, this is an example of what drugs can do, JUST SAY NO!!

Come on smfcfan, i like big Mehmet, and kean, and i think smudger will be a great keeper in time (still very young for a keeper ) but your comments are perhaps somewhat skewed by your black and white tinted glasses?

:blink:

Or, is your post a superb example of sarcastic,ironic humour ..... and i`m the only one not getting the joke! :huh:

Naw ,I think you were right the first time :P

Um, did big Billy not score the winner against Falkirk? :huh:

Yeah, a shot which was heavily deflected and went in...had he been a good striker he would've been on the end of all the good crosses by Miranda earlier in the match. He was awful for the whole game until that point.

I agree with above posters, you have all slated Mehmet for 2 years and no-one would have been sad to see him go in the summer, yet he's now a great player who can do all sorts of things, things that he's never been able to do before the Gretna game, like win headers and take the ball past players! :blink:

I find all of this quite unbelievable.

He's scored 6 league goals for us in 2 and a quarter seasons.

Kean, as bad as he has been recently, scored 5 last year alone. Even that isn't very great, but it shows you how poor Mehmet's goalscoring record is for us.

Everyone goes on about him scoring important goals, and to his credit he's 'won' us 6 points this season, but have a think - if we'd had someone who scores goals for a living in our team every time Mehmet has been there, we would probably have gained oursevles far more points than we have.

I couldn't believe it when Mehmet was offered a new contract in the summer, and obviously Gus sees something in him that so many of us don't - maybe this is an indication of Gus as a manager.

He needs to be more ambitious, we need to go out and buy a striker or two with a good goalscoring record, even if it's from the First Division; Sutton scored well at First Division level and yet wasn't out of his depth in the SPL. You may mention Dargo, but we didn't buy him and he is probably one of the most injury prone players in the country.

If we want to get better and go higher as a club, we can't afford to have Billy Mehmet as our main striker/goalscorer, because it just isn't going to get us there.

Before I start - in sentiment I agree with what you're portraying in your post, but...

Yeah, a shot which was heavily deflected and went in...had he been a good striker he would've been on the end of all the good crosses by Miranda earlier in the match. He was awful for the whole game until that point.

The only point worth considering - ignoring the "aye but what ifs..."

is that he scored the winning goal at Falkirk when it was too late for them to recover. HE

won that match. Not Sutton, not Mark Yardley, not Gerry Baker. Billy Mehmet - our current 'striker' - HE scored for us.

I agree with above posters, you have all slated Mehmet for 2 years and no-one would have been sad to see him go in the summer, yet he's now a great player who can do all sorts of things, things that he's never been able to do before the Gretna game, like win headers and take the ball past players! :blink:

I think there was pish-taking there - and yours has been a prime sample.

I find all of this quite unbelievable.

He's scored 6 league goals for us in 2 and a quarter seasons.

Billy M is what he IS. He's scored us a few VERY FEW but important goals at the right time. He's not a convincing striker - and yet... he knows how to play the game... it may come good for Billy and us.

Kean, as bad as he has been recently, scored 5 last year alone. Even that isn't very great, but it shows you how poor Mehmet's goalscoring record is for us.

I do think Kean had a lot more starts and games than Mehmet last year so the comparison is less than fair.

Everyone goes on about him scoring important goals, and to his credit he's 'won' us 6 points this season, but have a think - if we'd had someone who scores goals for a living in our team every time Mehmet has been there, we would probably have gained oursevles far more points than we have.

Again, I agree. Thierry Henry could have done better for us. But Thierry preferred the sunshine of Barcelona. I guess.

I couldn't believe it when Mehmet was offered a new contract in the summer, and obviously Gus sees something in him that so many of us don't - maybe this is an indication of Gus as a manager.

And also why you and me are punters and Gus gets paid to do that tricky - unthankful task...

He needs to be more ambitious, we need to go out and buy a striker or two with a good goalscoring record, even if it's from the First Division; Sutton scored well at First Division level and yet wasn't out of his depth in the SPL. You may mention Dargo, but we didn't buy him and he is probably one of the most injury prone players in the country.
I don't get this one. I thought we did pay good money for Dargo - albeit not to another club but we outbid other offers? Which is like' buying' to me...?

If we want to get better and go higher as a club, we can't afford to have Billy Mehmet as our main striker/goalscorer, because it just isn't going to get us there.

Can't disagree with that but there has to be a period of adjustment between aspiration and realisation. And -sadly in SPHell - that appears to be dictated by dish. And while he learns his trade to be the genius goalscorer we all want to watch - Mr Mehmet is what we CAN currently afford.

Your heart's in the right place just rushing ahead too fast, I fear.

Edited by chingford