Play Mehmet

Guest Robert Mugabe

Not a wind up but saw no reason to persist when so many people had made up their minds about him. Incidently his team won on Saturday :) . Whereas suggesting that we play a 4-6-0 system so we don't have to play Billy at the weekend is clearly a wind up.

Not rising to the Coughlin bait. Maybe suggesting 4-6-0 as a formation was a bit extreme. Gus should instead give the young lad McKenna a chance, hethere's no way he could be worse than Mehmet :rolleyes:

Not rising to the Coughlin bait. Maybe suggesting 4-6-0 as a formation was a bit extreme. Gus should instead give the young lad McKenna a chance, hethere's no way he could be worse than Mehmet :rolleyes:

Surely if Gus thought he was good enough Mckenna would be getting a game, he clearly rates Billy more at this moment. The only striker who has scored a significant amount of goals this season is Sutton, Billy is getting singled out because he's the other striker and he's not scoring. If Corcoran had the same amount of games as Billy and didn't score i'm sure he'd be the scapegoat and for what it's worth Corcoran is clearly not a striker IMO. With Burke and Kean out that only leaves the young strikers and Gus obviously doesn't think they are the answer at this moment.

Edited by Colostomy~bag~jones

Surely if Gus thought he was good enough Mckenna would be getting a game, he clearly rates Billy more at this moment. The only striker who has scored a significant amount of goals this season is Sutton, Billy is getting singled out because he's the other striker and he's not scoring. If Corcoran had the same amount of games as Billy and didn't score i'm sure he'd be the scapegoat and for what it's worth Corcoran is clearly not a striker IMO. With Burke and Kean out that only leaves the young strikers and Gus obviously doesn't think they are the answer at this moment.

Billy is being singled out cos hes shit, Gus has made a mistake with him, But hes only human we all can make mistakes :wink:

Billy is being singled out cos hes shit, Gus has made a mistake with him, But hes only human we all can make mistakes :wink:

He's not shit. This is the first time he's had a decent run in the team and fair enough he's not been scoring but i can see a gradual improvement in his game. Strikers thrive on confidence and a couple of goals and an extended run in the team will help him gain this confidence. Gus hasn't made a mistake with Billy he clearly sees the same things in his game that those who rate Billy do. I think he was unlucky with his header on Saturday against Dunfermline but what matters is he was in the right place at the right time.

He's not shit. This is the first time he's had a decent run in the team and fair enough he's not been scoring but i can see a gradual improvement in his game. Strikers thrive on confidence and a couple of goals and an extended run in the team will help him gain this confidence. Gus hasn't made a mistake with Billy he clearly sees the same things in his game that those who rate Billy do. I think he was unlucky with his header on Saturday against Dunfermline but what matters is he was in the right place at the right time.

with that thinking we'll be playing 1st div football next year and prob part time at that :wink:

with that thinking we'll be playing 1st div football next year and prob part time at that :wink:

Really? Then surely that would be down to the whole team? One man does not make a team and therefore it is extremely harsh to make one player a scapegoat for the team's failings. I actually think we'll stay up with at least to 2 teams below us, probably Dunfermline and Motherwell. A few signings in January would make this easier to achieve but even without i still think we have a good enough squad to just about stay up.

Dec 20 2006

From The Depressed Paisley Daily ! !

BURKE MAY BE OUT FOR EIGHT WEEKS

Striker is latest injury casualty at Love Street

ST MIRREN’S injury crisis deepened last night with the news that striker Alex Burke could be out of action for up to two months.

Burke, who suffered a hamstring injury during the weekend clash against Dunfermline, fears that he’s going to be cruelly denied a run in the team after waiting patiently for five months.

And with Stewart Kean definitely ruled out until the turn of the year due to a torn thigh muscle and question marks remaining over virus victim John Sutton, boss Gus MacPherson is facing a massive headache before Saturday’s match against Hibs at Easter Road.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

The body count is starting to rise in midfield too, with Craig Molloy and Iain Anderson both on the treatment table with foot and ankle injuries, while Garry Brady is another virus victim.

In Burke’s case, the tricky striker limped off moments before half-time on Saturday and was replaced by Billy Mehmet.

And while the former Kilmarnock ace is anxiously awaiting news from Saints physio Alan Scott over the extent of his hamstring injury, Burke is gutted at the prospect of sitting it out through injury.

The 29-year-old won his second consecutive start after he was drafted in to replace the injured Kean the previous weekend at Rugby Park.

Burke said last night: “I’ve waited five months to be given a chance to show what I can do and now I’ve picked up another injury.

“I went up to get the ball and I felt the hamstring go straight away and I knew I couldn’t continue.

“Even now it doesn’t feel right and I’m devastated because I’ve always said that the challenge for me was to try to get into the first team and stay there, but it looks like that’s not going to happen now. I’m gutted.â€

Burke, who missed the start of the season due to a thigh injury, admitted that his Love Street injury jinx is the worst he’s ever experienced.

He explained: “In all the years I’ve been playing, I’ve never picked up two injuries in the one season – but now it’s happened.

“Last season at Ross County, I missed about five weeks of the season with injury but I played every other game.â€

Burke is likely to miss not only the Hibs game at Easter Road this Saturday, but the festive SPL showdowns with Falkirk, Rangers and the New Year’s Day game away to Inverness Caley Thistle.

He said: “We have a lot of games coming up and it’s an important spell with four matches in 10 days.

“The gaffer is going to need every player for these games so it’s disappointing because I’ll probably be missing at a crucial time.

“Hopefully there will be good news from the physio and all I can do is keep my head down, keep working away to try to come back as quickly as possible.

“I just wanted a wee chance to do a job, but now it looks as if I’ll be denied a run in the team, so I’m very disappointed to say the least.â€

So I Take Billy Will Be Playing Then ! ! ! !

Edited by Lochwinnoch Saint

Dec 20 2006

From The Depressed Paisley Daily ! !

BURKE MAY BE OUT FOR EIGHT WEEKS

Striker is latest injury casualty at Love Street

ST MIRREN’S injury crisis deepened last night with the news that striker Alex Burke could be out of action for up to two months.

Burke, who suffered a hamstring injury during the weekend clash against Dunfermline, fears that he’s going to be cruelly denied a run in the team after waiting patiently for five months.

And with Stewart Kean definitely ruled out until the turn of the year due to a torn thigh muscle and question marks remaining over virus victim John Sutton, boss Gus MacPherson is facing a massive headache before Saturday’s match against Hibs at Easter Road.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

The body count is starting to rise in midfield too, with Craig Molloy and Iain Anderson both on the treatment table with foot and ankle injuries, while Garry Brady is another virus victim.

In Burke’s case, the tricky striker limped off moments before half-time on Saturday and was replaced by Billy Mehmet.

And while the former Kilmarnock ace is anxiously awaiting news from Saints physio Alan Scott over the extent of his hamstring injury, Burke is gutted at the prospect of sitting it out through injury.

The 29-year-old won his second consecutive start after he was drafted in to replace the injured Kean the previous weekend at Rugby Park.

Burke said last night: “I’ve waited five months to be given a chance to show what I can do and now I’ve picked up another injury.

“I went up to get the ball and I felt the hamstring go straight away and I knew I couldn’t continue.

“Even now it doesn’t feel right and I’m devastated because I’ve always said that the challenge for me was to try to get into the first team and stay there, but it looks like that’s not going to happen now. I’m gutted.â€

Burke, who missed the start of the season due to a thigh injury, admitted that his Love Street injury jinx is the worst he’s ever experienced.

He explained: “In all the years I’ve been playing, I’ve never picked up two injuries in the one season – but now it’s happened.

“Last season at Ross County, I missed about five weeks of the season with injury but I played every other game.â€

Burke is likely to miss not only the Hibs game at Easter Road this Saturday, but the festive SPL showdowns with Falkirk, Rangers and the New Year’s Day game away to Inverness Caley Thistle.

He said: “We have a lot of games coming up and it’s an important spell with four matches in 10 days.

“The gaffer is going to need every player for these games so it’s disappointing because I’ll probably be missing at a crucial time.

“Hopefully there will be good news from the physio and all I can do is keep my head down, keep working away to try to come back as quickly as possible.

“I just wanted a wee chance to do a job, but now it looks as if I’ll be denied a run in the team, so I’m very disappointed to say the least.â€

So I Take Billy Will Be Playing Then ! ! ! !

better hope either sutton recovers or a midfield player gets over the half way line

Mehmet is not good enough...

Corcoran is the most on-form player in the squad right now.

Stop talking shite...?

:wink:

And you're basing that on 1 performance? :wink: As Wilbur said the midfield isn't helping by sitting too deep and the strikers are too isolated, especially the way Billy plays which involves a lot of holding the ball up.

Guest Big Yards

The way Billy plays is the whole problem... he doesnt!! its like being a man down every time he's on the pitch! The service has been poor but good players can create things on their own like coco was doing on saturday.i dont think he would cut it in the juniors to be honest. to play him week in week out on front of Coco and Kean is just mad. i dont blame Mehmet, he's out of his depth but continues to be picked, i blame Gus for continuing to pick the wrong strike partnership.

Was speaking to a fellow Saint yesterday who is a big West Ham United man as well. Told me Mehmet scored, believe it or not, 42 goals for West Ham's reserves in two seasons, but West Ham certainly did not use him as a target man, more of a penalty box player in the Keano mode.

Certainly not a Mehmet fan, but maybe we are going completely the wrong way in how we use the big man.................... :unsure:

Was speaking to a fellow Saint yesterday who is a big West Ham United man as well. Told me Mehmet scored, believe it or not, 42 goals for West Ham's reserves in two seasons, but West Ham certainly did not use him as a target man, more of a penalty box player in the Keano mode.

Certainly not a Mehmet fan, but maybe we are going completely the wrong way in how we use the big man.................... :unsure:

I certainly think we're using him the wrong way but maybe Gus is trying to add that to his game, being able to come deeper or able to deal with high balls. Sutton is our penalty box player when fit but i'd like to see Billy in there with decent supply from the midfield and wide players. I think Mehmet is almost certain to start on Saturday because John is still suffering from the flu so let's get behind him on Saturday!!