• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 - Apocalypse Now

2 - Black Hawk Down

3 - Enemy At The Gates

4 - Platoon

5 - Full Metal Jacket

I'm just looking for some recommendations to add to my DVD collection.

pearl harbour

sands of iwo jima

battle of britain

thin red line

tora tora tora

das boot

and the wan wae Alec Guiness aboot dunkirk :) or wis it John Mills?

Edited by closet saint

Most Impressive cast award goes to 'a bridge too far '

The impressive cast includes Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, Liv Ullmann, Ryan O'Neil, Maximillian Shcnell , ect :wink:

A few 'A' listers at the time - doubt they could aford to remake the film with thier modern day counter parts ( if there is such a thing) - would cost way too much. :huh:

I don't go for 'stars' being a high priority. If it's a good war story, I'll enjoy it. I already have around 25 war films, and of the ones posted on this thread, I quite fancy Downfall and Stalingrad. I'll get them next.

Has anyone seen 'Flags Of Our Fathers'?

I've read reviews, both good and not so good.

I don't go for 'stars' being a high priority. If it's a good war story, I'll enjoy it. I already have around 25 war films, and of the ones posted on this thread, I quite fancy Downfall and Stalingrad. I'll get them next.

Has anyone seen 'Flags Of Our Fathers'?

I've read reviews, both good and not so good.

It is one film which I considered going to see tonight, although the time never suited. I have heard that it's quite good and obviously refers to the picture which has become such an inspiration. I definately intend to see it before it leaves the box office.

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. Bridge too far (I went to Arnhem the last twice I've went to Holland, worth a visit)

3. Platoon

4. Full Metal Jacket

5. Black Hawk Down

on the to do list.... Jarhead & Flags of our Fathers.

I wasn't too impressed by Jarhead, but I'm looking forward to Flags Of Our Fathers.

Watched Gallipoli this morning. It's no too bad.

I don't go for 'stars' being a high priority. If it's a good war story, I'll enjoy it.

Yeah that the Irony of 'A bridge too far' - i'm afraid it just wasn't that good.

I dont own a copy of Stalingrad anymore but it is pretty good, Downfall is excellent - the actors in it are superb and very believable. The guy who plays Goebbels looks just like him.

The most intresting thing i suppose is that this movie was mada by Germans in Germany and is pretty up front and honest in its approach.

The impressive cast includes Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, Liv Ullmann, Ryan O'Neil, Maximillian Shcnell , ect :wink:

A few 'A' listers at the time - doubt they could aford to remake the film with thier modern day counter parts ( if there is such a thing) - would cost way too much. :huh:

the longest day was similar with loads of big names.

i know it's tv rather than a movie, but band of brothers was superb and what about das boot as well?

the longest day was similar with loads of big names.

i know it's tv rather than a movie, but band of brothers was superb and what about das boot as well?

I used to know one of the actors in The Longest Day. His name was Robert Urqhart and he lived in Ullapool. I worked for him at his hotel for a few summers back in 1990 ish.

He was on his way to establishing himself as a big name at the time of the longest day but sadly due to personal problems his career slipped back.

He was an excellent actor i'm told and played plenty of character parts on TV.

found this on the web -

Robert Urquhart

1921 - 1995

Scottish-born actor who began on stage and then in films and in TV plays. Also in 'The Vital Spark' in 1965 and later series, and 'The Pathfinders' (1972). Played many character parts in films.

post-1741-1168486489.jpg

Edited by ped

Cross of Iron is the dogs and is about to be shown again on E4's Monday night war movie season.

1. Spartacus

2. The Big Red One - (not the danish DVD worn out by NSS)

3. Glory

4. El Cid

5. Solomon & Sheba (Sheilds as Mirrors - one of the best filmed battle scenes ever)