Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

1 - Apocalypse Now

2 - 300

3 - Enemy At The Gates

4 - Platoon

5 - Full Metal Jacket

Apologies for bring this back to the top. I was asked where it had gone, from someone looking for recommendations.

Hope you find something you like, buddie.

Since the thread started, 300 has become one of my favourites. Fantastic film. If you've not seen it, treat yourself.

Zulu - "Why us ?" "'Cos your 'ere lad , there's no-one else !"

The Hill - great anti-war film

A Bridge too far " I took 10 thousand men into Arnhem , I came back with barely 2"

Black Hawk Down Ridley-scott classic

Where Eagles Dare !st war film I saw at the movies , when I was a boy "Broadsword calling Dannyboy!"

There are a lot of other great war movies but these are the ones I'm most likely to watch again . All Quiet on the Wesrten Front is maybe one of the forst anti-war films and is still great after so many years the book is well worth a read too.

sorry forgot..

apocalypse now redux

das boot

full metal jacket

the eagle has landed

and if were going for anti-war film..the good the bad and the ugly(civil war bridge scene)

Most of the ones above you mention are good anti-war films. When Apocalypse Now came out it was billed as the film that would end all war. When the Redux came out a guy I used to work with kept telling me that I needed to watch that one. When I did see I was glad I watched it and would say that the anti-war message comes over stronger. The scene in The Good the Bad and the Ugly(aka Jock Stein , Colin Stein and Frankenstein) does portray the anti-war message to ,which also reminded me of some of the stuff in Cold Mountain that was pretty horrible. War is hell....

Most of the ones above you mention are good anti-war films. When Apocalypse Now came out it was billed as the film that would end all war. When the Redux came out a guy I used to work with kept telling me that I needed to watch that one. When I did see I was glad I watched it and would say that the anti-war message comes over stronger. The scene in The Good the Bad and the Ugly(aka Jock Stein , Colin Stein and Frankenstein) does portray the anti-war message to ,which also reminded me of some of the stuff in Cold Mountain that was pretty horrible. War is hell....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where Eagles Dare - gaun yersel' Clint !

A Bridge Too Far - a stellar cast assembled to recreate an allied forces shambles on a massive scale. I cannot see that happening today. The film making - not the shambles (that IS going on)

The Longest Day - if only for playing "spot the star" (amazing cast)

Platoon - I used to work with a Vietnam veteran (who looked like Robert Duvall put through a toaster on account of his helicopter being blown up by VC; and he thought that Platoon was the most realistic of the big "Nam" movies)

Kelly's Heroes :):)

Edited by Big Fras

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where Eagles Dare - gaun yersel' Clint !

A Bridge Too Far - a stellar cast assembled to recreate an allied forces shambles on a massive scale. I cannot see that happening today. The film making - not the shambles (that IS going on)

The Longest Day - if only for playing "spot the star" (amazing cast)

Platoon - I used to work with a Vietnam veteran (who looked like Robert Duvall put through a toaster on account of his helicopter being blown up by VC; and he thought that Platoon was the most realistic of the big "Nam" movies)

Kelly's Heroes :):)

A Bridge Too Far is a great . I had the privledge of working with a guy who was in Arnhem , he got caught by the Nazis and because they caught so many of them (no ammo left) they made them march in there barefeet(so they wouldn't try to runaway) it was his first engagement and he was only 18. Other than that the Buddie wouldn't say anything else about it !I always thought it would have been great to have got the full story but such is life.....

Edited by saintnextlifetime

go tell the spartans(think was based loosely on the 300 spartans)

Other than the title, it has nothing to do with Spartans.

Go Tell The Spartans is based around the first U.S. Army "military advisors" sent to Vietnam in 1964.

The title is taken from Simonedes' epitaph to the 300 Spartans killed at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Other than the title, it has nothing to do with Spartans.

Go Tell The Spartans is based around the first U.S. Army "military advisors" sent to Vietnam in 1964.

The title is taken from Simonedes' epitaph to the 300 Spartans killed at the Battle of Thermopylae.

in the film it ends up with a few yanks and some south vietnamese fighting against a whole regiment of vc,who military intelligence says werent going to be there...the title is from a marking on a grave in a cemetery from the indo china/french war where the french got caught like the yanks do and fight to the last man and recall the spartans holding out at thermopylae..def worth a watch either way.

How did this thread run so far without anyone ripping the pish out of whoever it was that said Pearl Harbour?! That is one of the WORST movies of all time, and certainly the worst "war" movie.

On the other hand glad to see Paths of Glory mentioned, get your hands on it if you haven´t seen it!

No takers for Braveheart?!

How did this thread run so far without anyone ripping the pish out of whoever it was that said Pearl Harbour?! That is one of the WORST movies of all time, and certainly the worst "war" movie.

On the other hand glad to see Paths of Glory mentioned, get your hands on it if you haven´t seen it!

Who mentioned Pearl Harbour?

Paths of Glory was a cracker, Kubrick classic I believe. Braveheart is a good one, never thought of it as a war movie though it is one. Our Wars of Independance no less.

Pearl Harbor was a pile of pish, the CGI was great though ! A bit like Titanic, vaguely based on real events with great visual effects and a shite love story written in... :P

My personal favourite war movies (I love the ones with planes in them, being a former childhood aeroplane geek ! :lol: ) would include...

A Bridge Too Far (loads of Douglas Dakotas)

Where Eagles Dare (great opening shot of a Junkers Ju-52)

The Battle of Britain (Spitfires versus Messerschmitts)

633 Squadron (comedy model Mosquitos crashing into comedy model cliff tops)

The Dambusters (Lancaster bombers and a dug called 'Nigger')

Pearl Harbor was a pile of pish, the CGI was great though ! A bit like Titanic, vaguely based on real events with great visual effects and a shite love story written in... :P

My personal favourite war movies (I love the ones with planes in them, being a former childhood aeroplane geek ! :lol: ) would include...

...you probably also like

Tora! Tora! Tora! (Zeros and big Mitsubishis)

Memphis Belle (B-17 takes on the Focke!)

Catch 22 (Mitchells I think, its been a while)

Once we were Soldiers (good shot of a skyraider)

Sadly run down and killed if I remember :(