Top 5 'orrible Accents

Love Street Central

On tv last night I saw (for the first time) a modern equivalent of the two fat cooks, except, that they are pretty ugly unintelligible northern biking blokes - Geordies, I believe. Great laffs, they think.

The cooking's no bad and the setting last night, Southern India, is attractive.

The amazing bit about the prgramme was... that every time an Indian was speaking, there were f**kin SUBTITLES! And the Indians were speaking better, clearer engerlish than the bloody fat guys!

Appalling. It's a lot less understandable than subtitling Rab C or Trainspotting, cos the Indians were being particular about their speech and trying to communicate with foreigners, whereas, the sit-com and film was representing people in their 'real-life', warts and all, including language.

I'm unkeen on how the Royals or sic-like talk.

And West Midlands must be an acquired taste.

On tv last night I saw (for the first time) a modern equivalent of the two fat cooks, except, that they are pretty ugly unintelligible northern biking blokes - Geordies, I believe. Great laffs, they think.

The amazing bit about the prgramme was... that every time an Indian was speaking, there were f**kin SUBTITLES! And the Indians were speaking better, clearer engerlish than the bloody fat guys!

Appalling. It's a lot less understandable than subtitling Rab C or Trainspotting, cos the Indians were being particular about their speech and trying to communicate with foreigners, whereas, the sit-com and film was representing people in their 'real-life', warts and all, including language.

I find that pretty off putting as well. I rarely find any problem in understanding foreign accents in that manner when they are speaking English so likewise don't see the need for it.

With my mum's family I hear the Derby/East Midlands accent a fair bit. For the most part I find it unbearably dull I must say. :ph34r:

One is a Geordie, the other a Cumbrian. I thought the subtitling of the Indians was an abomination, whoever was responsible for it should hang their head in shame.

I have to agree. I've still not acquired the taste after 23 years in Brum - even though it - or something very like it - was probably good enough for Wullie Shakespeare and his mates.

Dundonian will always be mankiest for me, nothing more scunnersome than when an attractive young laydee from the City Of Discovery opens her filthy mooth to let her eh/peh/ingan and eh pour from her dirty gob!

That said I lost interest in all things Orkadian when that prat was on Scotsport, indeed that show almost put me off football for life...

I think it's only the strength of an accent that makes it grate (that's grate,not great).

Pretty much any strong regional accent sounds like shit.

A strong accent from this part of the world grates on me much more that a mild Scouse or Brummie accent.

You name it,the thick versions all sound awful,and mild versions sound all right.

Aberdeen,Dundee,Fife,Edinburgh,Glasgow ,Ayrshire,Geordie,Scouse,Manc,Yorkshire,Brummie,Welsh,Cornwall,Cokney and related,Nor/Sufffolk,Norn Irn,etc.

They all range from painful to hilarious.

As for foreign people speaking English with an accent,I think it's definitely the French who are hardest to listen to.

Even someone with a great vocabulary can be tough to stick with.

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

I've noticed over the years that an uncanny amount of union leaders and nationalist/verging on national bigot types seem to have really strong versions of their local accent.

I don't know if it's evolution or what,but it's a bizarre phenomenon that offers up a new example every time there's an industrial dispute or William Wallace documentary on the telly.

Guest The Shadow
I've noticed over the years that an uncanny amount of union leaders and nationalist/verging on national bigot types seem to have really strong versions of their local accent.

I don't know if it's evolution or what,but it's a bizarre phenomenon that offers up a new example every time there's an industrial dispute or William Wallace documentary on the telly.

Ye dinae fib there, comrade.

I actually find most British accents quite nice, apart from Jasper Carrot's. Is that midlands? Other than that, I hate those f**king neds who speak as though they've inhaled the cotents of a helium ballon and then put a clothes-peg on their nose. No whitta mean big man byra way?