What Next For Smisa

div

I think you'll find that a large number of SMiSA members did buy the shares you refer to which happened to be before the creation of SMiSA. :P:lol:

SMiSA provides an opportunity to those supporters not blessed with loads of cash and silver spoons in their mouths to become part of an independent supporters trust that has a shareholding in the club.

You could argue that some supporters have become shareholders through the "backdoor" possibly via their grandfather - should those shares be treated any differently from ones gained via SMiSA? :rolleyes:

But do those 'backdoor' supporters use them to massage their own ego trips..?? No. I'm sure if SMISA wanted to tarvel down the ego path a bit more, then those 'backdoor' supporters may well be able to sell SMISA any shares gained through the 'backdoor'. :P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been alleged that you've had your "backdoor" massaged on numerous occasions. It's done your ego no harm by all accounts. :lol:

I'm told that SMiSA have a policy of not buying any shares from "backdoor" supporters as it only serves to line their pockets and no fresh money goes into the club. :P

My ego and my sphincter are, thankfully, intact..!! I took the silver spoon out of my mouth and placed it in my 'backdoor' as extra protection. Don't want those SMISA types gang raping a pretty boy like me.!! :ph34r:

If SMISA had a decent leader and some good ideas, and I was convinced it was no ego trip..I suppose some 'backdoor' shareholders may listen to them using the 'backdoor' proxy. :P

Just been on the new SMISA website...

Whatever's happened to the click-through to a betting firm that gave dosh to Smisa for every punter who signed up?

I wanted to do that...

(also someone... bongoshadowsandman?... used to post a link to a place that gave a the range of odds/prices offered by bookies. Does anyone recall THAT site?)

• 1 month later...
In the middle of this most nailbiting of relegation battles we have of course just secured our long term future and financing for the forseeable future.

I've been a member of SMiSA since the start, and I still see a real benefit in having a supporters organisation like SMiSA existing, but the recent announcement about the stadium and financing mean that SMiSA no longer has a role to play as a long term fundraising vehicle/samaritan for the club in my opinion. We have done our bit and the the assistance we gave for the acqusition of Stewart Kean was a great achievement for the trust in my view.

The Turst should continue to support the youth and community activities at Love Street I reckon but is it maybe time now to reduce the trust finance fees to a token amount per year to cover administration and use this move to greatly expand the membership ?

I dunno what the last membership count was, maybe 150 tops ?

I'd like personally to see the £10 a month membership scrapped in place of a £10 per annum fee and lets see the membership grow to maybe 5 or 10 times what it is now ?

Also wonder what we should do with all the dosh which is sat in the SMiSA bank account today ??

Thoughts ? Members and Non Members please enter the fray !

Apologies, i've been ill a bit recently and haven't kept up to date with all the threads.

interesting point by Div, but no-ones questioned his assumptions.

First, has the long term future of St Mirren really been secured?

Was the debt owed to the clydesdale bank and directors a long term problem? I'd say no to that as in this day and age £2 million isn't a big amount of money, Okay there was no white knight with that money in his pocket, but how many seasons of back to back SPL football would have made that debt sustainable or have made the clydesdale ease the pressure? I dunno, four or five?

Was the sale of Love Street a short term solution? Sure it clears the debt and gives a new home for the club, but new stadium apart what does it give? The opportunity to cut out the annual interest paid to the Clydesdale and to try and run the club within the means of the Income generated by football and non football activities. Does that make Saints stronger? Only if the Income generated exceeds the Expediture season on season. I can't see the budgets for players greatly improving after the move, it will still be a case of getting younger players with potential in, or 'workmanlike' players that suit our budget. (our budget based on crowds and ticket sales may not greatly exceed some first division sides.

I assume no-one would wish to see St Mirren ever again go into substantial debt, barring whatever overdraft might be needed to run the club from month to month. So where does the money come from to attract players or offer deals to keep our better ones. Maybe we have to accept that players who break through and give us a decent season will then go.

There's an assumption that some of the present directors will look to go after the deal is done and probably quite rightly as they have placed themselves under great pressure to keep the club going in the past few years and have raised money to put in and have taken risks. They are entitled to every penny that they have given up for the good of St Mirren. But who will follow on? Who will but their shares? Paisley Businessmen that didn't fancy placing money in whilst the club was in the myre? Minority shareholders? Some investors looking for a return? Foreign businessman like Romanov? I Dunno, I pray that there's a few new millionaries made in the northbank diehards when that day comes.

What will be the long term? I'll be honest enough to say I haven't a scoobie. Certainly there will be a St Mirren at the new ground, but one way or another, there will be a change in how the club operates and who owns it.

My view on SMiSA is that it represents an opportunity for the fans to actually get a % of the ownership of the club and yes at the moment that % is small, but by building funds and having the ability to actually get a stake in the club is that not a better way to use the funds that accrue with an aim of getting to a point where maybe enough of the club is owned by the fans to tell any Reg Brearley that comes along in future to go f**k himself.

SMiSA needs a decent annual contribution made by members if it will get to that level of control of the club. I think it's a waste of time turning it into an official fan club and funding buying T shirts and just limiting the aim to youth development activities.

How about SMiSA eventually being strong enough to have a decent % share of ownership in the club and then turning over the subs raised each year to fund transfers and players wages. The more mature football trusts in england do that. They get their 15% or 20% ownership and then plough every brass penny into the wage and transfer kitty. Is that not a better vision than assuming our St Mirren has been saved by this land deal and turning SMiSA into a toothless fan club that always pays up however badly the club may be being run?

That's my thoughts on it.