Five Greatest Wrestlers

Bill Lees

5. Mick McManus --- classically evil, MM had absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

4. Les Kellett - knockabout punch drunk stuff always fooled them. In reality as hard as nails.

3. Adrian Street - camp as a row of tents. A row of pink, leather, tents.

2. Jackie Pallo - popular stripey-trunked hero - was about 55 even at his peak.

1. Kendo Nagasaki - hard as feck and genuinely mysterious. Quite mental.

Edited by Bill Lees

Guest saint hits the net

You have to believe me, Bill, when I say that my five are based on my mothers memories of watching wrestling on a World Of Sport years ago.

1: "Baby" Jim Breaks. God how she hated that guy. He would moan, feign injury and beg for mercy - and then get up and go on to beat his opponent.

2: Johnny Saint. Quite apt for this forum ! She loved Johnny - particularly when he teamed up with Tony Sinclair and wrestled as the "Saints" tag team.

3: Vic Faulkner: Another favourite, and once again, loved to see Vic and Bert Royal perform as the "Royals" tag outfit.

4: Steve Logan. You would have thought he was murdering somebody in real life the way me mother used to go mental - and her in the Salvation Army - shameful behaviour. God help us though when Logan used to team up with Mick McManus - maybe she needed religion to get over those pair of devils.

5: Rollerball Rocco - We was he the wrestler that was deaf and dumb ? If he was, I couldn't even tell you if it was an act or not. He wore a stars and stripes type outfit and was a crowd favourite.

You are so right about Adrian Street and was his tag partner Beautiful Bobby Barnes ? They always hated having their hair messed up as I recall. They both made Julian Clary appear Schwarzenegger like in character.

Guest saint hits the net

I remember Sky did a series on old wrestlers and I caught the interview with Mick McManus. According to him, he was genuinely hated and was forced to park his car well away from the venue. Only once was he ever cheered by the crowd and that's when he and Logan teamed up against Kendo Nagasaki and his manager Gorgeous George. The venue was Camden Town Hall and the locals hated Nagasaki more than Mick and Steve so it was an unusual experience for McManus to be the good guy - something which he enjoyed.

Edited by saint hits the net

I'm sure this thread stated no "WWF" wrestlers. Maybe you've got other things on your mind.

Well, Snuka, Flair and Atlas were great in the NWA, that WAS a real wrestling organisation.

Kendo Nagasaki was on They Think its all Over last week.

Found this whilst searching for a World of Sport site to refresh my memory:

Toe Wrestling

And its been on GMTV, wonder if Ann had a go :wub:

There's also a PS2 game coming out that includes Big Shirley, Giant Haystack, Mick McManus and Kendo Nagasaki. You can challenge them against Hulk Hogan and other American Pooftahs!!! :P

The Dynamite Kid is the best all round wrestler ever and has performed on the old British scene as did Bret and Owen Hart. Kendo Nagasaki and Giant Haystacks both worked for WCW and William (Lord Steven) Regal was on TV on Saturdays at the tail end of ITV coverage. Rollerball Rocco was not the deaf chap, that's Alan Kilby. I once saw Rocco take a bad tumble out the ring at the Tower circus in Blackpool and the ambulance came right into the side of the arena.

The Dynamite Kid is the best all round wrestler ever and has performed on the old British scene as did Bret and Owen Hart. Kendo Nagasaki and Giant Haystacks both worked for WCW and William (Lord Steven) Regal was on TV on Saturdays at the tail end of ITV coverage. Rollerball Rocco was not the deaf chap, that's Alan Kilby. I once saw Rocco take a bad tumble out the ring at the Tower circus in Blackpool and the ambulance came right into the side of the arena.

Was Rollerball Rocco not Bob Carolgees :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bairnagain

My top five wrestlers (in no particular order except No. 1)

1 - Kendo Naggasaki - I will remember the day the got unmasked forever, does anyone remember who unmasked him though, I cant

2 - Alan Kilby - I guess I must have felt sorry for him, but was he really deaf and dumb?

3 - Fit Finlay - A more evil competitor you will never see. Strange to see him still working with WWE

4 - Mick McManus - What age was that guy, he must have been nearly 60!

5 - Jim Breaks - Only because I can always my mum shouting for him all the time

One more interesting thing, I hated Big Daddy from a really young age because one night at The Spa in Scarborough I waited with my parents to get all the wrestlers to sign my event poster and guess who wouldnt stop, yep Shirley Crabtree